propane regulator - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2021, 04:13 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
propane regulator

My propane regulator isn't but is working. The indicator that shows the green or red disk is stuck on red. The tank is full, just filled recently plus the refer and stove will operate. Is there anyway to correct this or just replace the old one. It's going on two and half years, had about three 30 LBS bottles through it.

Whats the average lifespan of these regulators, anyone know?
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:55 PM   #2

Name: julie
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Idaho
Iím no expert but if propane appliances are working then your regulator is ok. My red/green indicator never worked. Always stayed green even with tank empty.
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:06 PM   #3

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
I installed a new regulator on general principle. Over ten years old, I don't trust it. The indicator was working just fine.

You say "the tank is full", are there two tanks or one? How many pigtails? Where is the manual selector lever pointing to?

Charles
Old 03-14-2021, 07:49 AM   #4

Mississippi
Propane

Thats what I meant it is and isn't working.
Both tanks are full, doesn't matter where the selector is the disk stays red. I always turn tanks off when not in use. I'm not that worried about it just something I found when I do my once a month check of appliances, was thinking the lifespan of the regulator should have been longer.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
No idea what is typical, but my regulator and indicator are 18 years old and still work perfectly.
Bob Smucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:03 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
It will always be red until you turn both tanks back on.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #7

Mississippi
Both tanks

Tried that, plus I never turn both tanks on at the same time. Even with one tank valve open it was always green or red. Green with one open, red after shutting it off.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #8

Mississippi
Bob you know the brand you have? This one is camco.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:13 AM   #9

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
I think the lifespan of the regulators is highly variable. The one on my Escape never had any problems, but the one on the Bigfoot died after about 18 months. Might depend on conditions like heat, freezing, debris in the lines, etc.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
Bob you know the brand you have? This one is camco.
It looks generic, but the tag says "Marshall Gas Controls, a division of SH Leggitt, San Marcos, TX." Came with my new 2003 Casita.
Bob Smucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 05:38 AM   #11

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Excuse me, I purchased this Fairview RV Camper LP 2 Stage Automatic Propane Regulator for our new trailer. To feed our gas stove. It has 3/4 gas line it doesn't allow enuff pressure to light the stove. Any suggestions?
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:37 AM   #12

Michigan
3/4Ē line doesnít sound right, maybe 3/8Ē
Stove or grill?
If your feeding a grill with a regulator you canít have a regulator at the grill also.
Why would a new camper need a new regulator?
Can you provide more info on reason for new regulator?
Iím sure the collective brains here can figure it out.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:44 AM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Very doubtful line is 3/4 inch. More likely 3/8 inch. Look at the hose. I just bought one on Amazon, it is going back. The reason, the fittings on each end have VERY small openings, maybe 1/8 inch. Not all hoses are created equal....
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #14

Michigan
Bill, you might need the 1/4” inverted male flare end?

https://smile.amazon.com/WADEO-Stain...900218&sr=8-32
Old 03-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Natalie,

Since it has a 2-stage regulator, you have to open the valve on the tank slowly or else it will restrict the gas flow as a safety feature sensing it as a gas leak, and not allow sufficient flow to light your stove, etc.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Bill, you might need the 1/4Ē inverted male flare end?

https://smile.amazon.com/WADEO-Stain...900218&sr=8-32
Not in my case. I bought a dual stage regulator with 5 foot hose from Amazon. When I went to mount it, I realized the hose was much longer than I needed so I bought a 2 foot hose. I was surprised that the 2 footer was very restricted despite the 3/8 fittings. So I reluctantly reinstalled the 5 foot hose and returned the shorter one.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
Excuse me, I purchased this Fairview RV Camper LP 2 Stage Automatic Propane Regulator for our new trailer. To feed our gas stove. It has 3/4 gas line it doesn't allow enuff pressure to light the stove. Any suggestions?
Be safe >> Go see a professional propane guy or gal.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #18

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
My propane regulator isn't but is working. The indicator that shows the green or red disk is stuck on red. The tank is full, just filled recently plus the refer and stove will operate. Is there anyway to correct this or just replace the old one. It's going on two and half years, had about three 30 LBS bottles through it.

Whats the average lifespan of these regulators, anyone know?
had same problem low pressure was regulator put new one on and it came to life ,flame better on stove etc . I thought tank but was reg. Change it is cheaper than change tank etc
Linemanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #19

Name: Ruthie
New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
I installed a new regulator on general principle. Over ten years old, I don't trust it. The indicator was working just fine.

You say "the tank is full", are there two tanks or one? How many pigtails? Where is the manual selector lever pointing to?

Charles
Yes! I have 2010 Casita and exactly 10 years later (2020) the regulator went kaput while out on a long drycamping trip. Best to take care of it when you are close to an RV Parts store or carry an extra one with you. Just my 2 cents.
Sealarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Former Scamp 13, Former Airstream 16
Connecticut
Snuffy 2-

I don't think there is a stated service life for regulators, but 2 1/2 years is pretty short. Guessing CAMCO has them made to their specs overseas, but not 100% sure about that.

I would recommend replacing it with a quality brand like Marshall if you plan to hang onto your trailer for more than a year or two.

Many regulators are serviceable by a professional. I would say it's probably not worth servicing the CAMCO.
pedalmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane