Propane Tank ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2023, 11:58 AM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
Propane Tank ?

Hello,
We are wondering since we do not use our propane stove in our 2014 Parkliner if we can just remove the 2 heavy propane tanks and store them in an open air barn.

Will this create a problem with weight distribution?

Thank you.
PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 01:44 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
We do all our cooking outside, and camp with full hook-ups, or at a minimum, water and power. That said, we never use the trailer's propane tanks either, but I didn't want to give up the ability to do so if I needed to. My solution was to downsize my tanks to 11 Lb. ones, (half size of the standard 20 Lb. tanks. I use the large ones at home for my gas grill. For camp cooking, we carry a light-weight composite propane tank for the camp stove.

Even with the smaller tanks, my trailer tongue weight is still about 375 Lbs. Well within the tongue weight requirements for safe towing.

This is what we take for camp stove cooking. Yeah, they ain't cheap, but a heck of a lot lighter and safer than steel tanks, and no rust or maintenance.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/viki...ical/1420-0017
Attached Thumbnails
casita 012.JPG   Keder Rail1.JPG  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:46 PM   #3

Name: Patti
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
Virginia
Thank you for the suggestion.
PJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:53 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
We have the 20 lb tanks on the tongue on the Escape and I have an 11lb in the front box that I use instead of the one pound cylinders. I use it on the Weber Q, camp stove, campfire in a can and hanging propane lantern with a Weber hose. In addition I know I’ve always got some spare propane if my big tanks would run out. Not likely but never hurts to have a backup.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:48 AM   #5

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ47 View Post
Hello,
We are wondering since we do not use our propane stove in our 2014 Parkliner if we can just remove the 2 heavy propane tanks and store them in an open air barn.

Will this create a problem with weight distribution?

Thank you.
As long as the barn floor will take the weight, you should be fine.

You will never notice the difference on the trailer.
Old 04-08-2023, 02:19 PM   #6

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Trek
Kentucky
Registry
Propane tanks

The previous owner of my 1978 Boler style Fb camper removed all propane from the camper… I’m now trying to figure out how to add it back.
You can always leave and just not use bc selling it later people will probably want propane.
TeresaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:54 PM   #7

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
I use my tanks a lot. For one thing I use my furnace pretty regularly. I do cook in my camper, but I also uise the propare mode on the frig pretty regularly. (I seldom camp in normal places)

But I also use them in a different way. I love bbqing. And of course these are the same tanks that my BBQ uses. What I do is that when I run out of gas for the BBQ I use the tank from the camper that I have been using and then get the empty one filled up in the near future. So I always have spare gas on site at my house and also have plenty on the camper.

I almost never actually do the swap thing as who knows how good of tank you will get with a swap. There are a lot of places that fill them any more. And since I have a spare handy I can go to a refill place. The swap places are open more but since I always have plenty, I can actually get them filled instead and keep the good ones. And that is almost always cheaper.

Not exactly on point here, but something to think about.

Now when storing them an OPEN AIR BARN sounds reasonable. As long as you have no ignition sources there. I regularly see them stores in closed in places in inhabited areas. Utility closets seem popular. Electrical rooms in businesses seem even more popular. :-( I also worked a job about a year ago that tells you why. Apartment complex that has regular cook outs for the residents. They were storing a large 2 tank grill and the tanks in the computer room because "it is handy and besides it is secure and we don't want anyone stealing them". Nobody was hurt, luckily, but apparently one was leaking just a little bit. They think a cooling fan from one of the servers ignited it. Hard to tell, The tanks, grill, EXPENSIVE COMPUTERS, and the room ended up missing. They got a big fine and then had to rebuild it and had to pay for me to spend a lot of days figuring out how to trace the wiring to the rest of the complex and get it hooked up or replaced. SO OPEN AIR WITH LOTS OF VENTILATION AND NO SOURCES OF IGNITION WOULD BE NEEDED.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:56 PM   #8

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
One other think to consider is that the lines can corrode from the inside and you will never know it. The propane in them keeps this from happening and the design depends on this. So if you are removing them you will need to seal off the ends where the tanks attach so you don't get wet air inside and then when you do use them get a nasty surprise.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:52 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Removing 70-80# from the tongue has the potential to affect towing stability, yes. There are various ways you can make adjustments to compensate, such as a cargo box or spare tire on the tongue.

Without numbers it’s just a guess. How much does your fully loaded trailer weigh now, and what is your tongue weight with full tanks?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane