Propane tank size - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It matters if they are filled by weight ( as it should be done ) and you've never heard of tare weight, don't know where on the tank to find the tare, and can't do math.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
nowdays, with the OPD valves, they seem to fill them til the OPD trips. everyone locally sells propane by the gallon, not by the pound.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #23

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Go with a 20 lb propane tank. It is the most economical option. Adapter hoses are available.
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #24

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
nowdays, with the OPD valves, they seem to fill them til the OPD trips. everyone locally sells propane by the gallon, not by the pound.
My point exactly.

Walt
Old 07-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #25

Kinda like filling your gas tank until it overflows, polluting the environment and wasting fuel.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:48 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Thanks for the economic points. I knew the 1 lb would be more expensive in the end but not the smaller tanks.
What about using large tanks with appliances meant for 1 lb bottles. Will i need special hoses/adaptors?

The only time I couldn't get my 20lb tank filled with a metered system was in Big Bend NP, there is cost me $18 no matter how much it took.

I can usually fill it for between $2 and $3 a gallon. I fill when it gets below half empty at $3.00 that would less than $10 for a fill up.

The fridge run full time when camping and we use the stove top twice a day. No hot water heater, no electricity.

FYI I have priced the smaller cylinders and they're more expensive than the 20 lbers.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:21 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Kinda like filling your gas tank until it overflows, polluting the environment and wasting fuel.
the OPD just closes a valve inside the tank, then they shut off their pump, the tank valve, and bleed the filler hose pressure and disconnect, no different than if they were filling by weight.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #28

OK.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:14 PM   #29

Name: Ken
Trailer: Leocraft 26 M/Home
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Sadly, I have never found a 1500W, or smaller propane generator.
Dual fuel (gas/propane) generators are available. I believe I just saw a reference to a new model Champion 1600 watt one on another forum I follow.
Ridenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:35 PM   #30

Name: Al
Trailer: 1969 Boler 13'
Alberta
We use a short 10lb...like a stubby 20lb. I like that it's lighter, the full width base makes it more stable than the skinny 10lb or 5 lb bottles.

Usually have a propane tree mounted on it with the lantern at the top and hoses running to the portable stove and bbq.

For mounting on the trailer, I like 10lb bottles. Plenty to keep the fridge and furnace going...we never did use the cook top for anything more than bleeding air from the lines, did all the cooking outside.

Remember one fellow from '04...Victor from Vegreville IIRC, had a really nice blue T-bird and matching Boler. He had twin 5lb bottles on the front.

Al
Gippeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:55 AM   #31

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Pat, carrying 1/3rd or 1/2 of LP in a 20lb tank does the same thing as buying a small tank....and doesn't cost a thing extra .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #32

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
https://www.rei.com/product/113711/f...efill-kit-1-lb

These are available at REI, WallMart and other stores. UHaul in California started promoting them about a year ago. I use a 5 pound or 20 pound tank with a hose and seldom need a little 1 pound canister. but I can sure see where these would save a lot of money if someone used the one pound canisters. I just filled my 5 pound tank for about $3 and a one pound disposable was advertised on sale for $3.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I have a whole bunch of partially filled one lb tanks with just enough propane to be useless . I got tired of cooking on our BBQ grill and running out of gas in the middle of cooking our dinner so I bought a 10 lb tank .
We sometimes use our trailer for hunting during November .If it’s below zero we can empty a 20 pounder in a weekend
I’ll stick with our 2 - 20 lb tanks , the weight savings going to smaller tanks doesn’t offset waking up in the middle of the night with a cold trailer
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #34

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink

[QUOTE=John in Santa Cruz;705184]the one pound disposable Coleman style green cannisters have a completely different sort of fitting than the refillable 5-20-bigger propane bottles. you can get a hose adapter letting you connect a 5 or 20 or whatever lb bottle to one of those appliances made for the 1 lb disposables.

WE bought a 5 lb propane tank and a hose wh fits the adaptor on our little gas grille. Personally I hate the waste of tossing out all those 1 lb greeenies..the 5 lb tank is refillable.. We have two 20 lb tanks "up front" on the Casita 17', but don't use them much bks we run our "3 way frig" on DC while on the move and the boss hates to cook in the camper..I am the assigned cook "outside, we're camping" LOL

We're near-boondocking at a St Park in VT in Aug so we will use some gas "up there"..they do niot have electric or water hookups there in the parks tho ther are water "stations" so we will use our 120W solar panel and the B&S 2200 gen alot, + the propane.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #35

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1979 boler 1700
British Columbia
Hi all.
I bought a hutch mountain propane conversion kit for my Honda eu2000i generator a few months ago. I live in Canada and it arrived via the inter web on time and with simple instructions for installing.
They have conversion kits for many kinds of generators.
If you are interested, check out their website at hutch mountain.com
Bolerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #36

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Here it’s a flat charge of $15. Take them a tank that is already half full or a smaller tank, and it’s still $15. Only place in my county that fills them, their business, their rules,

On the generator conversion kits, it’s an aftermarket piece and not cheap. Meanwhile there are dual fuel units put there, they just aren’t Honda or Yamaha. I kind of reluctantly bought the Champion dual fuel 3100. A similar sized Honda or Yamaha without dual fuel was over double the money.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #37

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
No skanky tanks in Redding :)

Quote:
I dunno if this is true everywhere, but the local propane companies that run the swap cages at the minimarts and gas stations have slapped fine print stickers on the cages that state they are only filling the swaps with 12 lbs. the so-called 20 lb tank is really more like 17 lbs now days with the OFP valves, as when the old style tanks were filled with a full 20 lbs, they were prone to blowing off excess if left in the sun.

so caveat emptor. I already tended to avoid the swaps as half the time you get a pretty nasty looking tank, now I have another reason.
You got ahead of me John Here in Redding the swaps are just as you say, although I think you only get about 3.5 gallons for about $20...The only time I've used them is when I bought a tank at the flea market for a couple of bucks that had the old style valve, so by swapping I got a nice looking tank with the new style valve for the cost of about 1.5 gallons of propane. I haven't seen any skanky tanks in the outgoing swap racks at Walmart. Maybe it's just Redding.

The last time I had a tank filled at Ace Hardware it cost about $12.00, and it was bone dry!
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #38

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
ILLEGAL to transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
https://www.rei.com/product/113711/f...efill-kit-1-lb

These are available at REI, WallMart and other stores. UHaul in California started promoting them about a year ago. I use a 5 pound or 20 pound tank with a hose and seldom need a little 1 pound canister. but I can sure see where these would save a lot of money if someone used the one pound canisters. I just filled my 5 pound tank for about $3 and a one pound disposable was advertised on sale for $3.
I don't know about other states, but in California it's legal to refill the little tanks, but it's ILLEGAL to transport them. So if you fill them at home, they have to stay at home.

I suppose you could refill them at your campsite, but hauling them to the next campsite would be illegal. I'm not sure, but this law may actually be Federal Law, which would make transporting them after being refilled illegal in every state.

It's unlikely you would be caught, unless one of them started a fire. I would not want to be that guy.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #39

I've found that often the 1 lb. tanks will empty themselves if they have been disconnected from the appliance for transportation. And, in Canada, they are outrageously expensive. I run a 10 lb. tank and hose to my BBQ.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:45 AM   #40

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I have that "special" hose, and it works well with my "Portable Buddy" heater. I use a standard adaptor hose for my propane Coleman stove and have no problems. I do carry a 1 lb. bottle* for emergencies, have not needed it yet though.

*My Mom bestowed quite a few of these 1 lb. bottles on me when she sold her house and moved to the retirement community. They were left over from her camping days. I wonder just what is the "shelf life" of a 1 lb. propane bottle?
From what I’ve been told propane does not go bad. For the durability of the canister I would call Coleman. Best of luck.
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane