Propane tank size - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 04:40 AM   #41

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
I don't know about other states, but in California it's legal to refill the little tanks, but it's ILLEGAL to transport them. So if you fill them at home, they have to stay at home.

I suppose you could refill them at your campsite, but hauling them to the next campsite would be illegal. I'm not sure, but this law may actually be Federal Law, which would make transporting them after being refilled illegal in every state.

It's unlikely you would be caught, unless one of them started a fire. I would not want to be that guy.

Harold
It is a Federal law, not a State law, and even if one were to start a fire, there is no way to determine it has been refilled. I am not advocating refilling them, however. As another person has pointed out, after being used the valves often become leaky and will no longer perform reliably. Furthermore, they are an environmental nightmare. One thing that I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread is that the smaller refillable tanks (5 or 10 pound) are lighter than the “standard” 20 pounders and may be much easier for a woman or a smaller person to lift or carry. A full 20 pound tank is on the “heavy” side. I have a 5 pounder that I no longer use, but my spouse could easily carry it to and from a campground’s refill site. If filling a 20 pounder, she would need to transport it in the tow vehicle. The smaller tanks do have their advantages.
C&G in FL is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane