Propane Tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 05:21 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul
Propane Tanks

Recently I started a thread about propane hoses for an outside camp stove. Lots of good info there and I now believe I understand propane systems much better.

An alternative suggestion was to get a 10 lb tank and place it near the stove with a short hose. I have been doing that with my single 20 lb tank for years. But my current trailer does not have an inside stove or heater.

My new trailer (will not be delivered until early 2021) has only a one 20 lb tank bracket on the tongue. There are several advantages to having a second tank.

10 lb tanks are available in the same diameter as 20 lb tanks, or a smaller diameter but taller. The larger diameter would be more stable sitting on the ground. The smaller diameter might be easier to fit on the tongue. Although I did not find any 10 lb small diameter tank holders. Is there any other advantages of larger or smaller diameter tanks?

Are there any tank brands that stand out for quality? Or should I just buy whatever is locally available?

It looks like there are some aluminum tanks. I have seen the fiberglass tanks but I do not think the much higher cost is worth the advantages. Any thoughts on tank material?
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
LP tank gauges

[QUOTE=Craig D. Thompson;787867

[/QUOTE]
I have only used 20 and 30 LB tanks, but I’ll add this to the mix. I like the tanks with a float gauge, the inline pressure gauges do not work well. I had to order mine on line.
Attached Thumbnails
LP gauge.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:16 AM   #3

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Costco sells a nice 20 pounder that comes with a fuel gauge attached.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:54 AM   #4

I have been searching for tanks.

The Costco site shows only a 30 lb tank.

So far I have not found any sources for Worthington tanks locally. Must be here but I have not found any yet.

Ace has Manchester 20 lb tanks with a float gage. And 11 lb with no gage, but it is easy to shake to determine approximate level.

Any thoughts on quality of the various brands? Do any stand out as clearly higher quality?
Old 08-12-2020, 06:55 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I just went to Menards and bought an 11 lb propane tank for our camping grill
I don’t remember the mfg and honestly I don’t care .
It holds gas , the valve doesn’t leak and it works with our gas grill .
The 11 lb tanks are about twice the price of a 20 lb tank but one heck of a lot cheaper than purchasing the one lb throwaways
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:05 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D. Thompson View Post
Recently I started a thread about propane hoses for an outside camp stove. Lots of good info there and I now believe I understand propane systems much better.

An alternative suggestion was to get a 10 lb tank and place it near the stove with a short hose. I have been doing that with my single 20 lb tank for years. But my current trailer does not have an inside stove or heater.

My new trailer (will not be delivered until early 2021) has only a one 20 lb tank bracket on the tongue. There are several advantages to having a second tank.

10 lb tanks are available in the same diameter as 20 lb tanks, or a smaller diameter but taller. The larger diameter would be more stable sitting on the ground. The smaller diameter might be easier to fit on the tongue. Although I did not find any 10 lb small diameter tank holders. Is there any other advantages of larger or smaller diameter tanks?

Are there any tank brands that stand out for quality? Or should I just buy whatever is locally available?

It looks like there are some aluminum tanks. I have seen the fiberglass tanks but I do not think the much higher cost is worth the advantages. Any thoughts on tank material?
First, you do not mention what your “new” trailer is nor what vehicle you use to tow. That would be helpful to know. Depending on the trailer, you may be able to convert the tank tray to hold two 20 pound tanks. The 10 pound tanks are easier to carry (lighter), but lower capacity and much more expensive to buy. And some propane outlets charge by the fill, not by volume. Tractor Supply typically charges by volume (gallons) delivered.
Tank material is irrelevant; they all have to be recertified after a period of time. Some dealers never look at the date, others are sticklers and will not fill an older tank unless it has been recertified.
Brand is also irrelevant. Both Worthington and Manchester manufacture good tanks. And frankly, while the gauge is a general guide as to remaining volume, none of them are, as Marissa Tomei would say, “dead on balls accurate.”
Finally, if towing with a truck and you have space in the cargo bed, or if concerned about stability, a standard plastic milk crate is a perfect fit for a 20 pounder. It will not tip or roll around and it is generally tight enough to pick up the tank without falling off, but loose enough to clamp between your feet to remove the tank from the milk crate.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:43 AM   #7

The trailer I have on order is a Happier Camper Traveler. Currently a single 20 lb holder is used. I asked for a double 20 lb holder but that might not be tested and available when mine is built. I hope it is.

I have no experience with a float gage but I would think it would be somewhat accurate.

All of my tanks are past the initial cert period. I will likely get two new tanks, can use for home grill or trailer. I have never had a tank recertified but will look into that. When the new trailer is built I can reevaluate.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #8

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Steps to Hook Up an External Propane Tank to Your RV: The first step is looking for your motorhome’s permanent propane cylinder. Turn off the propane gas and remove the regulator cover (if any) before disconnecting the gas regulator from the tank. The next step, you should install a propane kit to connect a cylinder to your RV tank if your camper or trailer doesn't have one. The third step is connecting a hose between the tank and the propane adapter to hook up an external tank. The last step is to connect your fuel-powered appliance (a grill or an outdoor shower) to the correct port. Run a hose long enough to hook the fuel-powered appliance to the system. Ensure there are no leaks to prevent any accidents.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #9

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
Steps to Hook Up an External Propane Tank to Your RV: The first step is looking for your motorhome’s permanent propane cylinder. Turn off the propane gas and remove the regulator cover (if any) before disconnecting the gas regulator from the tank. The next step, you should install a propane kit to connect a cylinder to your RV tank if your camper or trailer doesn't have one. The third step is connecting a hose between the tank and the propane adapter to hook up an external tank. The last step is to connect your fuel-powered appliance (a grill or an outdoor shower) to the correct port. Run a hose long enough to hook the fuel-powered appliance to the system. Ensure there are no leaks to prevent any accidents.
Learning how to hook up external propane tank to RV is as straightforward as replacing the propane tank for your backyard barbecue grill fuel cylinder. You only need the right tools and a reputable energy company to make the connection. You can barbecue outdoors or enjoy a warm shower outside your motorhome.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:14 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
As is typical of me, I come from a different school of thought. I like to use aluminum forklift propane tanks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Green Point 01.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	143846

They are as light as a fibreglass tank. They lay on their side, and they tuck nicely under the curve on the front of my Trilliums. I could put 87 lbs, (if I could just find the 43.5 lbs. tanks) of propane on the tongue of my trailer, and still have room for a battery. There is a float level gauge. They have both a vapor and a liquid draw port. If you have the correct hose, the liquid draw port can be used with refillable 1 lb. bottles, (https://propanedepot.ca/product/refi...1lb-cylinders/) instead of a 10 lbs. tank. Mine have a quick fill port on the liquid line. When I fill them it is at a gas station for propane powered vehicles. I don’t even remove them from the trailer. I pay by the liter. Typically the propane powered vehicles have to have their tanks certified and the gas station doesn’t check the tanks. Therefore, when I get the tanks on my trailer filled, they never check.
However, they are expensive, ($240 cdn./33.5 lbs. tank) and need an expensive tank holder.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane