Purchasing a 1994 Lite House Trailer for Two need ideas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2008, 02:55 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello, after looking at Casitas, Scamps, etc. My husband and I have found a 13' Lite House Trailer for Two locally. My husband, hands down, wants to buy it. We have backpacked, car-camped, pop-upped, travel-trailered, and are currently Lazy-Dazers (class C).

There are three of us (11-year-old son) and I am trying to figure out how on earth to pack this thing with food, etc. I used to backpack so can think small but there are camp chairs, etc. How, what and where do you pack these little buggers. We will be using this for remote areas and those that cannot be reached by our Lazy Daze, etc. (I admit I have been spoiled now).

Any suggestions, helpful hints you lovely informed folks can share with me? We will be towing it with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited so do have a little bit of extra space behind the back seat.

My son will sleep either with us or on the floor of the trailer, we will make it work. As he gets older, he will want to be in a tent anyway.

Blessings, CK
CK Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 95 Lite House Trailer for Two
Congrats! We've owned a Lite House for a couple years now, gutted & refurbed it, and we've absolutely loved it for its ease of towing with our 4 cyl CRV. I remember how ridiculously small it looked at first, but it's been so practical for the two of us. We add a First Up (Wal-Mart) room and back it right up to the trailer's door (almost perfect fit) to make a very "spacious" setup with screen and/or privacy walls however we want-- if needed the room fits easily on the trailer floor for travel. We never carry or use the stock awning.

For us we only care about electric, so I removed the gas tank & placed an a/c unit there instead. And we don't care about the water storage, so I removed the water tank and that created extra space that the porta potty slides right into. Removed the gas stove, placed a small microwave under that space, above a new elect fridge. We carry a portable stove but we always end up "nuking" something or using an electric skillet outside. To make under-the-seat storage easier, I cut door openings on the face of the benches and laundry baskets will slide through. I've been tempted to build a shelf/cabinet across the front, but we've been okay without it for the extended weekends we do. For more storage, Rubbermaid boxes, etc. fit nicely between the seats for travel, and often go out in the add-on room when parked.

A little tip--if you keep the front window and door curtains pulled back while towing, you can see right through to the traffic behind. Another tip--make sure the latches on the emergency window are snug or they may vibrate loose on the road and the window flap open at 65 mph and scare the willies out of you (ask me how I know).

We're not real big, so lately we've been just sleeping on the benches without packing & using the extra cushions...but the full size bed is nice. Our trailer remains nameless....but loved.

Happy trails!
Bill
Bill&Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #3

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
When you put in the electric 'fridge (I'm assuming that it's in the same place as the ice box?), did you put in a vent to allow the heat from the back of the unit to escape? Does the 'fridge stick out more than the old ice box?

Thanks.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #4

Name: Dolores
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill&Pat View Post
Congrats! We've owned a Lite House for a couple years now, gutted & refurbed it, and we've absolutely loved it for its ease of towing with our 4 cyl CRV. I remember how ridiculously small it looked at first, but it's been so practical for the two of us. We add a First Up (Wal-Mart) room and back it right up to the trailer's door (almost perfect fit) to make a very "spacious" setup with screen and/or privacy walls however we want-- if needed the room fits easily on the trailer floor for travel. We never carry or use the stock awning.

For us we only care about electric, so I removed the gas tank & placed an a/c unit there instead. And we don't care about the water storage, so I removed the water tank and that created extra space that the porta potty slides right into. Removed the gas stove, placed a small microwave under that space, above a new elect fridge. We carry a portable stove but we always end up "nuking" something or using an electric skillet outside. To make under-the-seat storage easier, I cut door openings on the face of the benches and laundry baskets will slide through. I've been tempted to build a shelf/cabinet across the front, but we've been okay without it for the extended weekends we do. For more storage, Rubbermaid boxes, etc. fit nicely between the seats for travel, and often go out in the add-on room when parked.

A little tip--if you keep the front window and door curtains pulled back while towing, you can see right through to the traffic behind. Another tip--make sure the latches on the emergency window are snug or they may vibrate loose on the road and the window flap open at 65 mph and scare the willies out of you (ask me how I know).

We're not real big, so lately we've been just sleeping on the benches without packing & using the extra cushions...but the full size bed is nice. Our trailer remains nameless....but loved.

Happy trails!
Bill
Do you still have your Lite House??? I just purchased mine and am looking for fellow baby camper owners.
Dolores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Hall View Post
Hello, after looking at Casitas, Scamps, etc. My husband and I have found a 13' Lite House Trailer for Two locally. My husband, hands down, wants to buy it. We have backpacked, car-camped, pop-upped, travel-trailered, and are currently Lazy-Dazers (class C).

There are three of us (11-year-old son) and I am trying to figure out how on earth to pack this thing with food, etc. I used to backpack so can think small but there are camp chairs, etc. How, what and where do you pack these little buggers. We will be using this for remote areas and those that cannot be reached by our Lazy Daze, etc. (I admit I have been spoiled now).

Any suggestions, helpful hints you lovely informed folks can share with me? We will be towing it with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited so do have a little bit of extra space behind the back seat.

My son will sleep either with us or on the floor of the trailer, we will make it work. As he gets older, he will want to be in a tent anyway.

Blessings, CK
Are you still owners of a Lite House? I just purchased mine and am making contact with other owners, where possible. Thanks! Dolores
Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores View Post
Are you still owners of a Lite House? I just purchased mine and am making contact with other owners, where possible. Thanks! Dolores

Dolores, Congrat's on your purchase of your Lite House! Love to see pictures..... This as well as the other "lite house" post are both older post, this one was originally posted in 2008. Doesn't mean that there aren't other lite house owners, just that they haven't seen these old post brought to the surface. And if there aren't a lot of active Lite House owners, remember even if your ownership is a small group, we as glass owners are a large group and your always welcome to hang with us!

Maybe start your own post about your purchase and hopefully "Lite House" owners will see it. But if not, most glass is about the same and there are a lot of knowledgable members here who will be able to guide you to answers to your questions. Again, Welcome! Glad you joined us...............
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #7

Dolores, I just checked CK Hall's status and they haven't been active since 2008. So I am gonna assssssssssssumne they aren't active members. Sorry! But like I said, hopefully active or semi active Lite House owners will see your post. Good Luck!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #8

Registry
Deloris - I think I saw a post from Bill&Pat selling their LiteHouse. We still have ours and still love it. I was wondering about the AC installation in yours. When I replaced the propane tank with a pair of batteries, my tongue weight went up. I'm wondering how the tongue weight is on yours with the AC instead of the window and how it tows?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #9

Oklahoma
Registry
I am such a newbie, I don't know the answer to your question about how the ac affects tongue weight - I do know towing the baby camper is SO easy, so assume it did not make it any more difficult. Could you give me directions on how to add pics to this thread and I will send along pics of Miss Daisy.
I do have leaking, and think it is around the solar panel and the exhaust fan. What kind of sealant would you suggest to help fix this? Also,could it possibly be leaking where the two pieces are put together (the rim around center of trailer) - I am wondering if water is pooling along that seam and perhaps leaking in. It doesn't seem to have any sealant along that connection around the trailer.
I have no documentation on anything, and have no idea how to use the converter. I accidentally got my little back light above the sink to come on when turning on switches on converter panel, but have no idea what I did and could not make it happen again . .
As you can see, I am just fumbling my way with my new purchase, but LOVE this camper and am determined to master it and get it on the road. I must also get the running lights running - don't know if it is in trailer or my Escape connection. I am waiting for my grandson to come by to work on that, but am determined to do as much"repair" and maintainence as possible on my own since I won't have grandson with me on the road!
Doing this on my own is a new experience and I want to do it right.
Did not mean to "ramble"- am SO glad to find this wonderful site that is a wonderful place to "stop and visit and have questions answered"
Dolores
Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #10

Oklahoma
Registry
Robin - thanks for your welcome!
Dolores
Old 08-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #11

Dolores, Start a reply, type what you want in the reply box. When your done, scroll down to this

Under additional options

Click Manage Attactments, a box will open. Click Browse (you can attach up to 4 pics ) When you have attached the pic's, click on Upload. Then scroll back up to, Submit a Reply! Click on it, Walaaaaaaa your pic's will appear in your reply.

Works the same if you start a new forum topic..............
Old 08-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Registry
Here goes!. First is photo of Miss Daisy when i first brought her home minus her dirty green carpet that I took out first. Next are pics of my work in progress. This is the fun part. Not so fun is trying to find source of leaks and how things work without any manuals...oh well, gotta take it all as a learning experience and look forward to the trips ahead when she is ready to go!
Attached Thumbnails
image-708023891.jpg   image-1159476969.jpg  

image-3786994659.jpg   image-2606147387.jpg  

Old 08-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #13

Oklahoma
Registry
Btw, do know that things must be "packed" for travel that are not secured!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dolores, have you checked the Document Center for manuals? You'll need brand and model numbers: Fiberglass RV - Document Center
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #15

Registry
Deloris - let's start with the converter. It serves as the power control system for your camper and has a 120 volt A/C section and a 12 volt DC section. Under your drivers side bench seat there should be a 12 volt deep cycle battery in a "sealed" compartment. The lights, the fan and, if you have one, the water pump all run on 12 volts. Next to the battery box, there should be a big heavy power cord. It plugs into a normal electrical outlet at the campground. The converter has a GFCI and a 15 amp circuit breaker on the left side of the converter. There is a 110 volt duplex outlet next to the converter and a second one on the driver side under the seat near the front bulkhead.

The 12 volt battery power is also controlled by the converter. There is a three position switch on the right hand side. The center position is off. The other two positions provide 12 volts to the interior lights, porch light, fan and ,water pump. In one direction, the 12 volt power is supplied by the battery. In the other direction, the
12 volt power is supplied by a device that "converts" 120 volt AC from the campground plug into 12 volts DC to run the lights, etc. in the trailer. That way, you can still have lights and a fan if your battery is dead.

The LiteHouse converter, unlike models in newer campers, does not include a battery charger. We dry camp at music festivals sometimes so I've beefed up the 12 volt by replacing the propane tank with two batteries on the tongue. I use a BatteryMinder to keep my cells charged. In powered campgrounds, I charge my batteries during the day and turn off the converter at night. The damn thing has an annoying hum.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #16

Registry
I'm curious what's hidden behind the checkered curtain under your stove. In my LiteHouse, there is a useless icebox there.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie B View Post
I'm curious what's hidden behind the checkered curtain under your stove. In my LiteHouse, there is a useless icebox there.
Hidden under the checkered curtain was the second of only two requirements I put on my "must have" list -1. a place to sleep and 2. a potty - a Port-a-Potty fits right in the opening and has room for the little bottles of chemical.
I will be carrying an ice chest in my Ford Escape and probably sit it outside the door of the trailer when camping. Later I plan to add a tiny microwave - I do almost no cooking anymore. The couch along the back is wghere I have my bed, so I won't have to take down the table or move anything at night. Have a little 4 cup coffee maker, for my morning cup and for hot water for my evening tea. I plan to stay in state/national parks or private parks that have showers/bathrooms, too. I no longer will be camping "in the boonies" as we used to do - and loved! So...that is what is hidden behind the checked curtain, plus lots of useless information .
Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #18

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie B View Post
Deloris - let's start with the converter. It serves as the power control system for your camper and has a 120 volt A/C section and a 12 volt DC section. Under your drivers side bench seat there should be a 12 volt deep cycle battery in a "sealed" compartment. The lights, the fan and, if you have one, the water pump all run on 12 volts. Next to the battery box, there should be a big heavy power cord. It plugs into a normal electrical outlet at the campground. The converter has a GFCI and a 15 amp circuit breaker on the left side of the converter. There is a 110 volt duplex outlet next to the converter and a second one on the driver side under the seat near the front bulkhead.

The 12 volt battery power is also controlled by the converter. There is a three position switch on the right hand side. The center position is off. The other two positions provide 12 volts to the interior lights, porch light, fan and ,water pump. In one direction, the 12 volt power is supplied by the battery. In the other direction, the
12 volt power is supplied by a device that "converts" 120 volt AC from the campground plug into 12 volts DC to run the lights, etc. in the trailer. That way, you can still have lights and a fan if your battery is dead.

The LiteHouse converter, unlike models in newer campers, does not include a battery charger. We dry camp at music festivals sometimes so I've beefed up the 12 volt by replacing the propane tank with two batteries on the tongue. I use a BatteryMinder to keep my cells charged. In powered campgrounds, I charge my batteries during the day and turn off the converter at night. The damn thing has an annoying hum.

Hope this helps.
What great info - now must spend part of my day tomorrow checking out this new information and seeing if I can make it work! The air conditioner must be on its own electric current, since it runs when I have the electric plug in. By the way, John had installed the "big" plug in outside for our big trailer (that is "permanently parked" at the lake), but am wondering if I need to get an adapter in case the parks/campgrounds have the smaller outlet ?). Now back to converter, yes I saw the case I think was the battery under the bench on drivers side - but my camper has a solar panel - do the all? I think it charges the battery? I going to try to post pics I took of the converter panel and hopefully you can see if it works the same as yours. Thanks so much for the tutorial - it is excellent! - and I do apologize if I keep asking questions. I will keep trying because I am determined to use the camper! Just have to get past the "newbie" stuff and I find the older I get the harder it is to take on challenges and admit I don't understand how something works!
Old 08-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #19

Registry
The solar panel was, according to the bill of sale I found in the trailer, a LiteHouse option. It is only a "charge maintainer" and not powerful enough to charge a dead battery. Since it's so small, there is no charge controller. There was a diode in the line to prevent the panel discharging the battery when it's dark outside.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Registry
My running lights are now working! Next, the leaks and checking out the operation of the converter/solar panel. First, question about repairing leaks around solar panel and fan/vent. I thought silicon caulking was the perfect answer, then read threads and find that is NOT what I need to use (I kept the receipt, so I can return this weekend!). But WHAT do I use to put around those seams?? And where do I find it?? Also, I have a place where a bolt or screw is missing on the side - how do I replace that or do I use that special caulk that I hope to find for the leak? And there is also a "button" missing on another bolt/screw. Where do I find replacement for that? So many questions, so little time... I so appreciate all the help from those of you who have traveled this journey and know what to do!

Tags
lite house