Q. from an Owner-wannabe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'm considering looking for one of these trailers. But I have a few questions.

1) Which, if any, will fit inside a standard garage? (Assuming the garage gets cleaned out?)

2) My tow vehicle would be a Subaru Forester, which can tow up to 2000 lbs with trailer brakes. Will that be sufficient? How much will it affect my mileage to tow a trailer like these?

I'll probably think of more questions, but those are the big ones for now.

Thanks,
Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
My answers but I am no expert here..... none of my Scamps ever fit in my garage.. the beams aren't high enough...

1. I wouldn't pull anything bigger than a 13 ft Scamp, Burro or Boler trailer with your Forester... if your towing weight is only 2,000lbs.... I had a Tacoma PU 3.7L 4 C that would tow 3,500 so I pulled my 16 ft Scamp with it a few times with no problems.. but also remember you will need a tranny cooler if you don't have one installed already....if your vehicle is an automatic..

2. Not sure on the mileage..... maybe 15 per gal??

Lots of info here for someone else to chime in.....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
1) Which, if any, will fit inside a standard garage? (Assuming the garage gets cleaned out?
Bobbie, this is asked alot and a standard door is usually 7 feet and other then a Teardrop style camper I do not know of any that would fit but alot of people have come up with good ideas like letting air out of tires to get the 13 ft Boler just squeeking in.
I have a 13 ft Boler but my air conditioner is on top so it sits outside all year with no problems.

Quote:
2) My tow vehicle would be a Subaru Forester, which can tow up to 2000 lbs with trailer brakes. Will that be sufficient? How much will it affect my mileage to tow a trailer like these?
Here again I am no expert but I do know the Subaru is rated for the 2000 lbs.
We own an Outback and was considering towing with is and was told by hitch installer that it would haul it but breaking may be the problem where my trailer doesn't have brakes.
Also unless your Forester came from factory with a tow Pkg. (my opinion only) I wouldn't chance it.
Subaru tranies are expensive fixes.

You will probably get lots of answers and some will contradict mine but thats OK too because I will learn but I do know when thinking if a car will aul a trailer you must think about how you can stop a 1300 pound rig pushing you down a hill on a rainy night .
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
1) [b]Which, if any, will fit inside a standard garage? (Assuming the garage gets cleaned out?)

2) My tow vehicle would be a Subaru Forester, which can tow up to 2000 lbs with trailer brakes. (a) Will that be sufficient?

2.b.) How much will it affect my mileage to tow a trailer like these?
1) [b]The easy answer would be to find one of the folding roof type trailers:
  1. Compact Junior
  2. Compact II
  3. Trails West
  4. Mighty Lite
2a) Yes
2b) That would depend on how fast you drive when towing. @ 55 mph my experience is a loss of 10%. @ 75 mph my fuel mileage dropped by 50%
Old 02-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Bobbie,
There are 4 trailers that will fit in a standard garage. Miti Lite, Trails West Campster, Compact II, and Compact Jr. They are all older and never sold in large numbers, so it will be hard to locate any for sale. All 4 could be towed with the Subaru. You will see a drop of 8-10 mpg when towing. Tom Trostel

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...3125484&f=0
Old 02-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Bobbie,
There are 4 trailers that will fit in a standard garage. Miti Lite, Trails West Campster, Compact II, and Compact Jr.
And the Miti Lite was made in Washington State...we've seen a couple crop up for sale because of referrals here on FiberglassRV.

Here's a link to the Miti Lite album so you know what it is Miti Lite Album
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I tow a 14 foot Surfside, empty weight about 1600 pounds, with my Forester. We did an extensive trip through the mountains with four people, and the Forester did great. We got about 18 mpg. The Surfside will not fit in a normal garage, however.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #8

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
Bobbie, this is asked alot and a standard door is usually 7 feet and other then a Teardrop style camper I do not know of any that would fit but alot of people have come up with good ideas like letting air out of tires to get the 13 ft Boler just squeeking in.
I have a 13 ft Boler but my air conditioner is on top so it sits outside all year with no problems.
Here again I am no expert but I do know the Subaru is rated for the 2000 lbs.
We own an Outback and was considering towing with is and was told by hitch installer that it would haul it but breaking may be the problem where my trailer doesn't have brakes.
Also unless your Forester came from factory with a tow Pkg. (my opinion only) I wouldn't chance it.
Subaru tranies are expensive fixes.

You will probably get lots of answers and some will contradict mine but thats OK too because I will learn but I do know when thinking if a car will aul a trailer you must think about how you can stop a 1300 pound rig pushing you down a hill on a rainy night .
Gerry
I totally agree with the above. An 8-foot door accommodates my Surfside and my stick-built with space to spare. BUT....
But, but, but, but.....
If your driveway is sloped, it is sometimes enough to put your trailer at an angle which makes it higher. AND...
And if you have something hanging from the roof (trouble-light, f'rinstance) you can get hung up, too.

My two cents, for what it's worth...

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
Do you have a Legacy Outback, or the smaller Impreza Outback? We have towed our brakeless UHaul CT13 (1550lbs. loaded) with our '98 Legacy Outback coast-to-coast, through the US and Canadian Rockies and Sierras, with no problems whatsoever.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I guess I got lucky cause the 13' Scamp goes right in my garage and don't have to raise the door or do anything. No roof air conditioner, just normal vent.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #11

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Greg-What is the height of your garage door? My Love Bug will not fit in my 7' door but does fit in my 8' door.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #12

The Garage opening height is 92" but the door hangs down a bit and the opening without raising the door any was 88." Thought I might have to clamp the door up higher, but it went right in.
The house is just a stock builder home, so I guess the builder may be a Scamp owner since he built the garage clearance that high.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #13

Registry
I guess I need to measure the garage door. I don't have anywhere else to park (no driveway, the garage opens onto the sidewalk and then the street). However, if I get an Egg I do need AC- I'm in central California and that would be the main point of having a trailer instead of tent-camping. So the AC is going to be a problem unless it is easily removable or can be mounted somewhere else.

By the way, it is a manual (5 speed) Subaru and I've towed a boat (about 1000 lbs, no brakes) but they say over 1000 and the trailer needs brakes.

Bobbie
Old 02-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #14

My AC is mounted in the left rear window looking from the back. If it were a roof unit, I wouldn't be in the garage....
Old 02-21-2007, 04:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My 7'4" (Stock, before I added the fantastical fan) 1991 Scamp 13 requires removal of the 13" rims/tires and replacement with 12" tire-less rims, plus removal of the FF hatch cover, to roll it into my 7'0" garage (Plus I had to cut of an excess part of the garage door mechanism to get it up to 7'0") -- Letting the air out of the tires would not have been enough.

New Scamp 13's are several inches taller than my 1991.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #16

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I just looked and the Scamp website lists the 13' Scamp at 7'4", but I had them mail me a brochure with a new yellow price list and it has the 13' Scamp at 7'6". This would verify what Pete said about the new Scamps being taller.

-Carl
Carl O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:38 AM   #17

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Do you have a Legacy Outback, or the smaller Impreza Outback? We have towed our brakeless UHaul CT13 (1550lbs. loaded) with our '98 Legacy Outback coast-to-coast, through the US and Canadian Rockies and Sierras, with no problems whatsoever.

Wow this is great to know. We have the Legacy.
Do you have the tow pkg or any other modifications other then the hitch on your car?
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #18

Registry
Well, measured the garage, it is the standard 7 foot door, so I'm stuck. As I said, I have no driveway at all and no other place to park a trailer, so unless I decide to pay storage fees somewhere, I can't get one right now. (I can keep an eye out for the four short ones, but that's a long shot.) I don't think a teardrop would offer what I want, especially AC.

Bobbie