qestions on 1973 boler rebuild, looking for windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 07:56 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1973 Boler
Canada
qestions on 1973 boler rebuild, looking for windows

I have a 73 boler that was laid over on its driver side the aluminum trim channel around middle of trailer covering the seam is all but gone has any one completely ground off the top and bottom flanges and fibreglass the outside the same as they did at the factory on the inside? failing this fix anyone have a suggestion for something to cover up original seam that was covered by aluminum c channel?

also looking for driver side jelousie windows small one over stove and larger one at back to left of sink

also wondering if anyone has removed closet and then reinstalled , and what method you used to reattach as side by door openning on mine has been stpled together?

thanks Bill
Bill B Estevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #2

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B Estevan View Post
I have a 73 boler that was laid over on its driver side the aluminum trim channel around middle of trailer covering the seam is all but gone has any one completely ground off the top and bottom flanges and fibreglass the outside the same as they did at the factory on the inside? failing this fix anyone have a suggestion for something to cover up original seam that was covered by aluminum c channel?

also looking for driver side jelousie windows small one over stove and larger one at back to left of sink

also wondering if anyone has removed closet and then reinstalled , and what method you used to reattach as side by door openning on mine has been stpled together?

thanks Bill

I have done all the things you are asking about.
Don't know your skill level, but not difficult.
I had to cut my shell completely in half during the rebuild; because there was so much damage Fiber-glassed the two halves together again. ( I did reuse the belly band).
I removed the ensonite and ground any residue off that was close to the joint. It (the ensonite) was relatively easy to reinstall.

Closet was reinstalled with stainless bolts through the shell. As were all the interior pieces.
Everthing was sealed with Butyl as I went along.
Hope this helps.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:50 PM   #3

Canada
i have the tools skill and ability as i worked in a fiberglass plant years ago just not sure if belly band flanges actually serve any structural function or if they were just left on from the moulding process at factory and covered up with the C- chanel trim. thinking about removing them adding a layer of matt and feathering it out with bondo to make a smooth wall.

ive already body worked most of the driverside now anyway.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:20 AM   #4

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
I think the belly band helps to keep the shell from spreading in the middle. Over the years, they tend to sink and spread.
M.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin.P View Post
I think the belly band helps to keep the shell from spreading in the middle. Over the years, they tend to sink and spread.
M.

Escape trailers top and bottom are fibreglassed together while still in the mould. The belly band does nothing other than cover the seam for cosmetic purposes.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:29 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
qestions on 1973 boler rebuild, looking for windows

On a a Boler, aluminum trim on the belly band is cosmetic only. The interior cabinetry provides structural support for the shell. The closet by the door is especially critical.

You should be able to obtain replacement aluminum C-channel from a number of sources. Cutting off the lip and eliminating the seam altogether is also an option, assuming you’re going to paint the exterior after you’ve finished repairs.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #7

Canada
if I can't find some replacement c- channel i will consider doing away with the moulding flanges altogether I know I can do the work and I have to re-coat the whole trailer anyway top and bottom so the removal and body work involved in removing the moulding flanges doesn't bother me,I had hoped to hear from someone that might have done it before.

I am assuming the C-Cannel is press formed and normal channel is going to kink if i try to bend it around the corners.any one have suggestions to totally replace it?

Tags
boler, windows