Quality small (9") roof vent options? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Question Quality small (9") roof vent options?

I've been working on my 1983 13' Burro for 10 years and have eliminated all leaks except an insidious one coming in near (or through) the warped 9" x 9" roof vent in heavy rain.

I'd like to replace this old 9" vent and am afraid to upgrade to the modern standard 14" x 14" vent/fan size, since the fiberglass near the vent is thin. Also, I don't want to complicate things by trying to build a frame to support a larger vent as described in some Burro and Trillium threads on the FGRV forum.

Unfortunately, all I can find to replace the small 9" x 9" vent is a model of questionable durability, with minimal overhang to keep water from entering! ... I see this marketed as the "ELIXIR 9X9 MINI-VENT with 7/8” garnish" and "Heng's 18511C1G White 9" Mini Vent", available here:
https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-18511C1.../dp/B007HRI2VI
https://www.iboats.com/shop/mini-ven...roof-vent.html

Does anyone know of higher-quality options for small vents?
Basically, I'd like one with a bigger overhang, made from plastic that isn't going to disintegrate after 5-10 years.

I've exhausted every option, except this ingenious forum. Please help!
Rebecca D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:06 AM   #2

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca D View Post
I've been working on my 1983 13' Burro for 10 years and have eliminated all leaks except an insidious one coming in near (or through) the warped 9" x 9" roof vent in heavy rain.

I'd like to replace this old 9" vent and am afraid to upgrade to the modern standard 14" x 14" vent/fan size, since the fiberglass near the vent is thin. Also, I don't want to complicate things by trying to build a frame to support a larger vent as described in some Burro and Trillium threads on the FGRV forum.

Unfortunately, all I can find to replace the small 9" x 9" vent is a model of questionable durability, with minimal overhang to keep water from entering! ... I see this marketed as the "ELIXIR 9X9 MINI-VENT with 7/8” garnish" and "Heng's 18511C1G White 9" Mini Vent", available here:
https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-18511C1.../dp/B007HRI2VI
https://www.iboats.com/shop/mini-ven...roof-vent.html

Does anyone know of higher-quality options for small vents?
Basically, I'd like one with a bigger overhang, made from plastic that isn't going to disintegrate after 5-10 years.

I've exhausted every option, except this ingenious forum. Please help!
Rebecca Hi Our new trailer came with that plastic 9x9 Vent . I wouldn't waste my money on that piece of junk . It will fall apart in a couple years and disintegrate Making a frame and a larger hole for regular 14x14 is the way to go . What we did on our fiberglass trailer was install a Ventair fan getting power from bath light . Using a larger square patch to cover the hole . The easiest would be changing to the common 14x14 vents . There should be traveling RV repair or any RV repair could do this for you if you aren't comfortable doing this . Pat
LindaandPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip! Perhaps upgrading to 14" x 14" is the way to go, since there are so many more vent choices of higher quality in that size.

Are there any Burro owners who can confirm that upgrading from the smaller vent to a 14" x14" option would be ok, without adding additional reinforcement to the frame/ceiling?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Escape sells a kit that converts their 9" bathroom vent to a powered vent. It includes a fiberglass adapter, etc. Here is a link to my conversion on a 17B. I suspect it would work on a Burro...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #5

Very cool. Thanks for the links, Jon!
Old 03-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Very cool. Thanks for the links, Jon!
Whenever you put a new vent cover on the roof (or anything else made of plastic) spray paint the item with Krylon Fusion spray paint. It's made for plastic without primer and stops UV from yellowing the plastic and causing it to degrade and become brittle.

Think Rustoleum also makes a plastic paint now........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #7

Wonderful info, Charlie. I hadn't head of that before, and it sounds like a great idea!
Old 04-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #8

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Whenever you put a new vent cover on the roof (or anything else made of plastic) spray paint the item with Krylon Fusion spray paint. It's made for plastic without primer and stops UV from yellowing the plastic and causing it to degrade and become brittle.

Think Rustoleum also makes a plastic paint now........

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!

I have a pair of Sea Dog Line sidewall vent gills that have yellowed nicely over the last year - you've pointed me at a quick tune-up that will make the trailer look a lot better!
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:22 PM   #9

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Quote:
I'd like to replace this old 9" vent...
Look to the marine industry for small hatches by Lewmar, Bomar, and various other makers.

Aluminum framed, very durable, can be opened for venting, typically have spares available for many years due to the large installed base. The glazing is either tempered or Plexiglas, and if the Plexi is hazed it can be very easily replaced.

Can be found used as well - start by calling Sailorman in Fort Lauderdale.

Start by looking at the manufacturers websites so find out who does one about the size you want.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote