Question about buying new Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #1

Name: Ruth
Trailer: currently Shopping
Nebraska
Question about buying new Scamp

Hi! We are seriously now thinking of ordering a new Scamp rather than trying to find one close to home that we can tolerate well. Question: since both my partner and I are chemically sensitive (MCS), we are wondering what new buyers are experiencing as far as off-gassing odors in new
Scamps...from new everything, from vinyl flooring, to the actual fiberglass itself. Please send your thoughts here and it will help us out a lot. Our dream is to be camping by next July or August, when the camper would be ready to pick up in Minnesota. Everything hinges on how we would tolerate off-gassing odors in most new items that we purchase. Thank you so much!
RuthAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
We picked up a brand new 13ft Deluxe on 1/2/2016

Ruth

If you are sensitive...the fiberglass and off gassing is extreme. When we went to the factory my wife's eyes were irritated so bad she had to go outside. We also got the 13 Deluxe with Birch cabinets all the way around so there was the curing or drying of the finish from that to contend with.

Now we drove the 7 hrs (481miles) home with the camper windows open. When we go home we opened up everything and left the fantastic fan running. Was still very strong smells.

Neither of us are sensitive, but I thought you might want to know that up front.

BUT IN THE END a Very Nice Camper ... after a few weeks/ month the smell is gone.

Photo's
Fiberglass RV - BillE's Albums

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I am sensitive and found even in a two year old Scamp the 'new' offgassing smell was still very strong.
I would suggest looking for a used one a couple of years old in great condition may be your best bet.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Can you tolerate a new car? New carpet in your house?
If so you can probably tolerate a new Scamp.
The fiberglass and OSB is almost completely sealed on the inside, with materials and adhesives which may also be offensive.

A thorough vacuuming and a couple of days running the vent should be enough if your condition is is not too critical .
We slept in ours on the trip home from the factory and found it cozy with no offensive odors or chemical reactions. It did sit outside for five days prior to delivery though.

Where I grew up the outhouse was the the only place which caused a sensitivity reaction, but that was only the day after Grandpa ate a belly full of beans!
I sincerely hope your condition is not too serious, but I am sure that modern fiberglass trailers present no more of a hazard than most other RVs, new cars, etc.

BTW; The factory is well ventilated, but they manufacture the fiberglass in molds,so the liquid resin and the raw fiberglass strands are present. Even after it is completely cured, windows and other openings are cut into it, producing dust. Adhesives are sprayed and caulk is used during assembly.
All this will produce an atmosphere which cannot be compared to the finished product on the lot. Even with all of that going on, an average non-sensitive person can enjoy a factory tour with no discomfort or ill effects.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthAnn View Post
Hi! We are seriously now thinking of ordering a new Scamp rather than trying to find one close to home that we can tolerate well. Question: since both my partner and I are chemically sensitive (MCS), we are wondering what new buyers are experiencing as far as off-gassing odors in new
Scamps...from new everything, from vinyl flooring, to the actual fiberglass itself. Please send your thoughts here and it will help us out a lot. Our dream is to be camping by next July or August, when the camper would be ready to pick up in Minnesota. Everything hinges on how we would tolerate off-gassing odors in most new items that we purchase. Thank you so much!
One method used to accelerate the off gassing smell and get it cured faster is to use a heat bake. Builders of new homes are now often choosing to do this. It is pretty easy to do, just put on some heat inside for several days to a week. But of course by baking that means it needs to be hotter inside the trailer than you would normally heat a room so try for 80 to 85 degrees. Perhaps you could even arrange for the factory to do this for you before you take delivery. In the summer time just leaving it out in the sun all day would accomplish the same thing without needing a lot of extra heat.

When it is new be sure to do a fairly complete air exchange at least once a day. That is easy to accomplish open windows and door, maybe even use a fantastic fan to pull out the old air. Be sure that type of fan is an option you choose to have installed. Also be sure any heater you get has fresh air intake as well as exhaust. Do realize that propane cooking stores are putting exhaust products into the interior space so you will want to have a stove exhaust running when you cook inside with fresh air coming in as well. You will need holding tank treatments that are made for people with chemical sensitivity.

You can check with the company and see if they offer upholstery fabric, curtain and cushion options that are suitable for chemically sensitive people.

When talking to the factory emphasize that it is a great selling point for them to have those types of materials as not only options but also as the standard.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
From my point of view the odor is short lived compared to the useful life of the trailer. We got ours in the winter and camped on New Years Eve. There was some odor still present then (3 weeks of it sitting the driveway with it open as much as possible). By summer we had been out at least once a month the odor was gone. Many years of happy camping since then.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Looks like this is a minority report. We have a two year old Scamp 13, purchased new from the factory. My wife and I are both fairly sensitive to chemical out-gassing odors and have not had any issues with the Scamp. We were pleasantly surprised that even on our first night in it while driving it back from Backus, odors were minor.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Registry
Smile GREAT Trailers ..but I want Ruth to be aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillE View Post
Ruth

If you are sensitive...the fiberglass and off gassing is extreme. When we went to the factory my wife's eyes were irritated so bad she had to go outside. We also got the 13 Deluxe with Birch cabinets all the way around so there was the curing or drying of the finish from that to contend with.

Now we drove the 7 hrs (481miles) home with the camper windows open. When we go home we opened up everything and left the fantastic fan running. Was still very strong smells.

Neither of us are sensitive, but I thought you might want to know that up front.

BUT IN THE END a Very Nice Camper ... after a few weeks/ month the smell is gone.

Photo's
Fiberglass RV - BillE's Albums

Ruth....as I said above these are great campers.....I have had 3 of them.....just want you to be aware the "smell" will be there for a little bit

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just be aware, there's often not much difference between a new trailer smell and an old trailer smell other than what's causing the odor. It seems like every spring when I step inside my 28 year old Scamp it STINKS. No, not mold or anything causing it to deteriorate, but from chemicals such as RV Anti-freeze. I really wish I could find a brand of that stuff that wasn't so dang perfumy! But a day in the sun with all the windows open takes care of the odor.

Be aware if you buy a used trailer that's been recently refurbbed, you may have odors from new upholstery, curtains, rugs, vinyl floor, etc. Depending... it can be really strong or not so much.

Best of luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #10

Name: JAMES
Trailer: SCAMP
New Hampshire
Love my SCAMP 13!!! Bought new, no bad odors, very well made!
Recommend vinyl floor, easy to clean. I put throw rugs around and under the table for color mostly. I also have bathroom w/shower very handy especially for the wife. And we have no children left at home so bed is fine. Headroom is great, foam cushions for sleeping very comfortable. Add a hitch to back of trailer for accessories. No need for A/C or Gas htr, waste of money!

Enjoy!
polskasila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #11

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
We got our new 2014 16' Scamp, layout 4, in late 2013. I really don't remember odors being any kind of issue. I'm not very sensitive to them but my wife is. Unless you're highly sensitive, I think it is something you can deal with.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #12

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthAnn View Post
We bought a new Casita and not sure if there would be any difference in them as far as smells. But we slept in it immediately after picking it up from the factory and had no problems. We are both fairly sensitive to smells. Casita may use different glues, etc. This may help you some. Maybe check the factories for what they use. Casita puts a carpet on the walls, has fiberglass cabinets with wood doors.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:48 PM   #13

Name: Gary
South Carolina
New scamp ideas to consider

Ruthann,
We purchase our new 13' Scamp in 2014 and made my bucket list trip to Alaska with my wife, 2 Chihuahua's and 2 Guinea pigs. We were cramped a little for sure for 78 days but we prevailed. We did learn that we brought way, way too much stuff that we did not really need. Anyhow here is what I did to our camper and advise for you to consider to ask for. They do not like suggestions I might add ahead of time, they believe their product cannot be improved or something like that. Anyhow here is things to consider requesting.

1) "All" and Every light inside and outside to be (LED) with proper fixtures designed for the led lights, this includes running lights and markers. Do not accept just changing of bulbs to LED bulbs. The correct fixture work with no problems expected and set up for their design. New led fixtures cost about $8.00 and work great and cut down the possibility of running down your battery prematurely

2) Purchase a good 31 battery for your camper in place of the ones available through Scamp. They will last longer and be more efficient. Just have the battery box installed.

3) Installation of "LOW BOY" roof air conditioners in place of the ugly big things they sell installed. They will tell you that the new ones will be heavier, and they are, about 14 lbs?? Lowboy roof airs will make your Scamp look really dynamic and compact and the sore thumb now on ours is that ugly thing we now have. I plan very soon to discard this ugly thing and install a low boy and more efficient one that is quieter than the one we have. Our present one you cannot hear TV or nearly talk when the Air is at high speed which you need to use or the air conditioner will freeze up.

4) The roof air with Heat strip is in-efficient, we found that out on our trip and bought small electric heater to use when at a facility with full hook ups or at least electric. The Gas furnace works real good, but gets real hot real fast. The smaller electric is best if you get one with thermostat that throttles to on or off. Get a good one for safety in case it tips over etc.

4) Have Scamp install close fit collars on the two sewer waste fittings that go through the floor (underneath the camper)to prevent an area that is 1/2 wide around the pipe like on mine that allows critters to nest there etc. This also is a cheap fix but makes their product better manufactured and you can feel comfortable that nothing like road debris and water to have a water to collect and rot your floor, no matter how they brag on their floor coating. Plastic close fitting collars about $3 each.

5) Have Scamp undercoat your camper with truck bed coating or similar. The coating they have is very thin, and when inspected by me was not applied to all areas the same. I Coated mine with two coats and at the same time coated the framing to protect that from rusting. They will balk on this too. Two cans of truck bed liner for two coats of protection, $25.00

6) Install locking devise on back window to prevent window from opening up going down the road from vibration. Nothing like finding out the window is open until it rains out. Cost about $3.00

7)Have scamp install roof cover over the top of your fantastic air fan to also allow you to use your fantastic air in rainy days etc. These are available at camping world or other places, cost about $50.

8) Install the great awning outside to cut down on heat and for outside sitting comfort. Well worth the cost and quality product from Italy.

9) Get a camper with a bathroom and toilet. You will not be sorry for the loss of space if you go to the bathroom several times at night like most older guys do and also give privacy for your wife when she used bathroom.

10) Have pergo floors or similar in place of the vinyl they use. The vinyl holds dirt, does not clean well and looks like crap very quickly. I did this to ours and now the floor is easy to clean and keep up.

11) Install oval mirror on bathroom door in the living quarters side of door for you and wife or mate to be able to see coming of hair and installing make up etc.

12) Install marine type (Shore Power) cord connection on the outside of your camper in place of the (Mouse Hole) type normally installed which does allow critters, (Mice, bugs, snakes) to get inside of your camper when the cover is open. You will have to get a marine type connecting cable in place of the one used normally on the camper but this will have the special connector on it to accept the connection of the new connector outside.

13) Cut off the tongue jack handle, weld on a 3/4" nut on the shaft of the jack so you can use a 18v battery socket gun from harbor freight. This will make the adjustment of your camper to level much easier to do. Using the handle is slow and an PIA as your knuckles will hit the top of the gas tank if you have dual tanks on your camper. You only have to remember to keep your socket gun charged up. Otherwise if you forget, and you will you can use a ratchet with 3/4 socket.

14) Have SCamp install the new "RUBBER" door gasket in place of the water absorbing foam gasket normally used. They do have the rubber gasket available at Scamp. Have them install it as the door has to be readjusted to fit it but if you don't, every time it rains the foam gasket holds the water and in time also slides to the outside of door minimizing sealing quality of the door.

15) Have samp install better design outside locking door for the filling of your fresh water! The present ones are called "Mini-urinal) by me as they are waist high and just easily opened and used as a urinal by anyone wishing to do this and they do. The ones they install are unsafe by me as anyone with anything can put something into your fresh water tank and endanger you and your family. There is no way of "Locking" the present devise and it is mickey mouse anynow.

16) You will "NOT" be able to make a trip to Alaska with a 4 cylinder vehicle that has many miles on it!! We did it but I thought we never would and I would never do that trip again with a older vehicle. You will have a tendency to overload your camper, even for short trips. You need a vehicle that has more power than a subaru etc. Just saying, it does not take much to add 800 lbs. to your naked camper before leaving on a trip. Be sure you have a safe tow vehicle with a brake buddy system connected to camper. your gas mileage will go down nearly 50 percent from normal. [U]A vehicle with proper power will not experience this as much as a underrated vehicle. [/U

17) Have all tires on the camper balanced, even the spare and have the proper socket to remove the spare from the mounted space on camper.

18) Be sure to adjust and grease the wheel bearings before a long trip, maintain 50 lbs. every morning on tires before starting out on trip for the day.

19) Try to train everyone to not use toilet paper in your little bathroom tank! This will minimize the possibility of clogging. We use Doggie Pick up bags in our bathroom for anyone needing to use toilet tissue then they can place the plastic bags in the garbage at the campsite. This truly will help keep your tank from clogging. There is not a lot of pressure to dump your tank unless the tank is absolutely full to make the paper flow out etc. and also the waste to flow freely if not completely full.

I hope these suggestions help, guide you on your new purchase, it is only information to make you aware of problems I have found and fixed to the best of my ability. You as a customer "CAN" request these minor changes that have little cost if any but will make your camper a much, much better one to enjoy.

Happy Trails, hope to see you on the road one day.
Gary
Garylee in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:36 PM   #14

Nebraska
Thank you, everyone who replied to my question here

Dear Fiberglass camper friends....want to thank you all so very much for your responses....amazingly helpful suggestions and experiences that will really help us to decide whether or not to order a new Scamp. We are inclined at this point to go ahead and order it (finished in July 2017 we are told), and hope for the best outcome. We are aware enough now to know how to handle the situation, based on many of your thoughts and experiences. If it does not turn out well, we will face that when the time comes.
Again...you are wonderful folks! Thanks!
RuthAnn
Old 11-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Ruth, no ones mentioned it but you could get a hold of Scamp for a referral of someone close to you that has a new TT that you could check out as a test.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #16

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garylee in SC View Post
Ruthann,
We purchase our new 13' Scamp in 2014 and made my bucket list trip to Alaska with my wife, 2 Chihuahua's and 2 Guinea pigs. We were cramped a little for sure for 78 days but we prevailed. We did learn that we brought way, way too much stuff that we did not really need. Anyhow here is what I did to our camper and advise for you to consider to ask for. They do not like suggestions I might add ahead of time, they believe their product cannot be improved or something like that. Anyhow here is things to consider requesting.

1) "All" and Every light inside and outside to be (LED) with proper fixtures designed for the led lights, this includes running lights and markers. Do not accept just changing of bulbs to LED bulbs. The correct fixture work with no problems expected and set up for their design. New led fixtures cost about $8.00 and work great and cut down the possibility of running down your battery prematurely

2) Purchase a good 31 battery for your camper in place of the ones available through Scamp. They will last longer and be more efficient. Just have the battery box installed.

3) Installation of "LOW BOY" roof air conditioners in place of the ugly big things they sell installed. They will tell you that the new ones will be heavier, and they are, about 14 lbs?? Lowboy roof airs will make your Scamp look really dynamic and compact and the sore thumb now on ours is that ugly thing we now have. I plan very soon to discard this ugly thing and install a low boy and more efficient one that is quieter than the one we have. Our present one you cannot hear TV or nearly talk when the Air is at high speed which you need to use or the air conditioner will freeze up.

4) The roof air with Heat strip is in-efficient, we found that out on our trip and bought small electric heater to use when at a facility with full hook ups or at least electric. The Gas furnace works real good, but gets real hot real fast. The smaller electric is best if you get one with thermostat that throttles to on or off. Get a good one for safety in case it tips over etc.

4) Have Scamp install close fit collars on the two sewer waste fittings that go through the floor (underneath the camper)to prevent an area that is 1/2 wide around the pipe like on mine that allows critters to nest there etc. This also is a cheap fix but makes their product better manufactured and you can feel comfortable that nothing like road debris and water to have a water to collect and rot your floor, no matter how they brag on their floor coating. Plastic close fitting collars about $3 each.

5) Have Scamp undercoat your camper with truck bed coating or similar. The coating they have is very thin, and when inspected by me was not applied to all areas the same. I Coated mine with two coats and at the same time coated the framing to protect that from rusting. They will balk on this too. Two cans of truck bed liner for two coats of protection, $25.00

6) Install locking devise on back window to prevent window from opening up going down the road from vibration. Nothing like finding out the window is open until it rains out. Cost about $3.00

7)Have scamp install roof cover over the top of your fantastic air fan to also allow you to use your fantastic air in rainy days etc. These are available at camping world or other places, cost about $50.

8) Install the great awning outside to cut down on heat and for outside sitting comfort. Well worth the cost and quality product from Italy.

9) Get a camper with a bathroom and toilet. You will not be sorry for the loss of space if you go to the bathroom several times at night like most older guys do and also give privacy for your wife when she used bathroom.

10) Have pergo floors or similar in place of the vinyl they use. The vinyl holds dirt, does not clean well and looks like crap very quickly. I did this to ours and now the floor is easy to clean and keep up.

11) Install oval mirror on bathroom door in the living quarters side of door for you and wife or mate to be able to see coming of hair and installing make up etc.

12) Install marine type (Shore Power) cord connection on the outside of your camper in place of the (Mouse Hole) type normally installed which does allow critters, (Mice, bugs, snakes) to get inside of your camper when the cover is open. You will have to get a marine type connecting cable in place of the one used normally on the camper but this will have the special connector on it to accept the connection of the new connector outside.

13) Cut off the tongue jack handle, weld on a 3/4" nut on the shaft of the jack so you can use a 18v battery socket gun from harbor freight. This will make the adjustment of your camper to level much easier to do. Using the handle is slow and an PIA as your knuckles will hit the top of the gas tank if you have dual tanks on your camper. You only have to remember to keep your socket gun charged up. Otherwise if you forget, and you will you can use a ratchet with 3/4 socket.

14) Have SCamp install the new "RUBBER" door gasket in place of the water absorbing foam gasket normally used. They do have the rubber gasket available at Scamp. Have them install it as the door has to be readjusted to fit it but if you don't, every time it rains the foam gasket holds the water and in time also slides to the outside of door minimizing sealing quality of the door.

15) Have samp install better design outside locking door for the filling of your fresh water! The present ones are called "Mini-urinal) by me as they are waist high and just easily opened and used as a urinal by anyone wishing to do this and they do. The ones they install are unsafe by me as anyone with anything can put something into your fresh water tank and endanger you and your family. There is no way of "Locking" the present devise and it is mickey mouse anynow.

16) You will "NOT" be able to make a trip to Alaska with a 4 cylinder vehicle that has many miles on it!! We did it but I thought we never would and I would never do that trip again with a older vehicle. You will have a tendency to overload your camper, even for short trips. You need a vehicle that has more power than a subaru etc. Just saying, it does not take much to add 800 lbs. to your naked camper before leaving on a trip. Be sure you have a safe tow vehicle with a brake buddy system connected to camper. your gas mileage will go down nearly 50 percent from normal. [U]A vehicle with proper power will not experience this as much as a underrated vehicle. [/U

17) Have all tires on the camper balanced, even the spare and have the proper socket to remove the spare from the mounted space on camper.

18) Be sure to adjust and grease the wheel bearings before a long trip, maintain 50 lbs. every morning on tires before starting out on trip for the day.

19) Try to train everyone to not use toilet paper in your little bathroom tank! This will minimize the possibility of clogging. We use Doggie Pick up bags in our bathroom for anyone needing to use toilet tissue then they can place the plastic bags in the garbage at the campsite. This truly will help keep your tank from clogging. There is not a lot of pressure to dump your tank unless the tank is absolutely full to make the paper flow out etc. and also the waste to flow freely if not completely full.

I hope these suggestions help, guide you on your new purchase, it is only information to make you aware of problems I have found and fixed to the best of my ability. You as a customer "CAN" request these minor changes that have little cost if any but will make your camper a much, much better one to enjoy.

Gary
I think I like a Casita better as we have not had any problem hitting our knuckles on the propane tanks when using the tongue jack handle. Our toilet tank empties very easily and holds 15 gallons. We use it for all our needs and use plenty of paper. Never have had it plug up in 9 years. Casita put a mirror on the bathroom door. I agree with balancing all tires though. The heat strip on our A/C unit keeps the Casita very nice in fairly cold weather. Casita also puts a locking door on the water fill area. Casita also puts a rubber gasket on the doorway. So I believe Casita has a better product. Casita also uses a thicker foam on their cushions. Casita prices are about same as Scamp.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I think I like a Casita better as we have not had any problem hitting our knuckles on the propane tanks when using the tongue jack handle. Our toilet tank empties very easily and holds 15 gallons. We use it for all our needs and use plenty of paper. Never have had it plug up in 9 years. Casita put a mirror on the bathroom door. I agree with balancing all tires though. The heat strip on our A/C unit keeps the Casita very nice in fairly cold weather. Casita also puts a locking door on the water fill area. Casita also puts a rubber gasket on the doorway. So I believe Casita has a better product. Casita also uses a thicker foam on their cushions. Casita prices are about same as Scamp.
ON my Scamp it would be nearly impossible to strike knuckles as it has a side winder.
Twelve years and still have a clean and functioning black tank.(no clogs).
I installed my own mirror. ( not the most difficult upgrade...see photos)
Love the heat strip in the A/C but we have a furnace too for times without shore power or generator.
Scamp uses a closed cell foam gasket on the door.I don't think Casita has a better product especially in the 13&16.
Both Casita and Scamp have 4" cushions, Scamp also has 5" cushions in the loft of the 19fter.
Both are fine trailers, but Scamp also offers custom Oak or Birch interiors.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 008.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 009.jpg  

Old 11-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garylee in SC View Post
Ruthann,

Gary
Some good suggestions there.
here are some responses ...

#3] What do you mean by "lowboy" ( like my Coleman "mini mach" or a polar cub?)

First #4] Our heat strip works great even in late fall in Northern Minnesota.

Second #4&#5] aftermarket ideas, probably won't do harm.

#11] See my previous post.

#13] Don't cut the tongue jack simply knock out the roll pin and install a drill rod with a drive device on the end. be sure and have a hand device in case the battery drill dies.

#14] The new closed cell gasket is now standard.

#16] Plenty of 4CYL vehicles are fine for the trip towing a 13Scamp with brakes. The odometer is there to remind you of good maintenance. The calendar is irrelevant unless measured in decades and then it becomes a question of parts availability.

#19]
Use Odorlos tank treatment and keep liquid in the tank, Open the valve only to empty. All paper and waste will be liquified if instructions are followed, no muss no fuss.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #19

Name: Gary
South Carolina
Scamp suggested ideas

Lots of good information here, I suggest printing them out for a comparison check when you go to the factory or you order before picking up your scamp. My scamp is only 2 years old, maybe lots of changes were made as I have been complaining of these SIMPLE items the entire time we owned our Scamp. I do not have intentions of discouraging new buyers but do advise of problems we encountered on our personal Scamp. You have to make up your own mind about information suggested, mine is only suggestions for safety and comfort inside and outside of your camper. Some may be trivial but important to me. I do not wish to waste your time or the time I took to document this information for you to remember or consider. It all may not be as important to you as it is me, but nearly $15,000 after delivery of our Scamp is a lot of money. I wish to protect my investment and hope to pass this on to all or else I guess I am just wasting my time.

4 cyl. vehicles on a trip to Alaska, Mountain climbing slopes of 12-15 deg for a distance of 7 or so miles long at one time is a lot of work on a small vehicle that may be heavly loaded for a long camping period. Again, only this is only a matter of information to consider, why would I even suggest this if I did not experience near serious problems and wish to help others realize the loss of power on grades such as this. Going down the opposite side of mountain ranges does need electric brakes on camper or you are in one heck of a surprize. "I CANNOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH TO HAVE A TOW VEHICLE WITH POWER ENOUGH TO SAFELY PULL YOUR VEHICLE FOR YOU, YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR VEHICLES SAFETY". I shouted this yes only as a precaution I hope you really respect. One day you may just thank me. "Safety First.......

A Low boy air conditioner I am considering is either Coleman mini match or polar cub or similar. I will definitely get noise level results to compare before installation on our Scamp for me. Your cabin area is quite small (10 ft. inside), and it does not take much to fill the cabin with noise while listening to TV or just talking.
I Can't wait to get rid of the noisy roof air, again maybe age has my listening levels at a different range but I don't think so.

The choice of toilet paper also is a personal choice. Some people use gobs and gobs of paper to wipe their butts, some people use the incorrect type of paper in toilets. If you do not use special RV paper, the closet paper available on the marked to RV toilet paper is Scott Toilet paper. Again, the amount of paper used is a main factor, my toilet tank probably is a 6 gallon tank. I do not let it get full the the toilet seat, I dump every time I leave a campground and treating with a toilet chemical is just a must and common thought to do to control odor etc.

You knuckles "WILL" get hit on your gas tanks if you have (DUAL gas tanks and a battery) behind them. Why would I say that if it was not so.

Good luck on your choices, request for your camper, let me know if anything I suggested has really been changed for the better. If you do not wish to expose this in forum, please email me through PM, I am really curious. Again, good luck, happy camping and stay safe.
Gary
Garylee in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #20

Nebraska
For Gary:

All of your information is good and we (Gary T. and me) appreciate how much time you took to post it all...it probably was helpful to others reading it, also.
We will post how things go, as we move forward.In the brochure we just got in the mail, we noted that they sell a "Sani-Potti" as an alternative to a bathroom, which we will not be ordering. We want this unit to be as simple as possible, and we figured beforehand that we will not need a lot of the things that are extras.
Thanks again! Happy trails to you, too.
I don't think I mentioned this before, but I just came through having two heart attacks, back to back, a stent put in (I'll be 73 next month) and I have my bucket list made out, too. It has one really BIG item on it....to have a fiberglass trailer to travel in to see my kids down south, the family back in Wis., and friends along the way...Gary's brother is in Ohio, so that will definitely be a stop, too. This is our dream, my big dream, and what I am looking forward to. Will be starting cardiac rehab next week...gotta get that started so that I can have the energy I need for life....appreciating each new day. So you can see how very important it will be that we get a trailer that we can tolerate well and enjoy it.
Take care!

Tags
scamp