Question about propane regulator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I am completely uninformed about propane but I want to change the regulator on my gas line just in case that is the problem with my Coleman lamp pulsing. So what do I need to know to buy the right regulator? Are there different size gas lines? Different fittings? Or is it one-size fits all?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Hi Bobbie,

Take it to a competent RV service place or a propane service and have it checked for pressure, etc. Regulators don't last a long time. Propane systems are not really DIY. A new regulator is about $30 + installation. Happy trails!
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I just had new ones put on as they ones on my trailer were orginal.. I kept smelling whifs of propane... My RV fix-it place always does an outstanding job on repairs, replacing etc!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I am completely uninformed about propane but I want to change the regulator on my gas line just in case that is the problem with my Coleman lamp pulsing. So what do I need to know to buy the right regulator? Are there different size gas lines? Different fittings? Or is it one-size fits all?

Bobbie
I've always known there are variations in how regulators are grouped with other accessories, such as two-tank valves and automatic switch-over systems, but recently discovered there is some variation in the regulators themselves.

The main function of a regulator is to change the high-pressure gas flow coming from your propane tanks (or natural gas lines to your home) to a low-pressure flow that's just a tad over atmospheric pressure. In most cases all you'll ever need is a single regulator system, which is what most trailers and RVs came with and which you can buy at most RV stores. Newer RVs, however, come with a safer two-stage regulators that has the standard regulator RVs have always used coupled with a second fall-back unit that guards against the failure of the primary regulator unit should water vapor build up and freeze inside and cause it to stick open, sending high-pressure gas into your trailer and creating a fire hazard.

My take is that the single-regulator units do the job in all but the rarest of circumstances and using an older-style replacement will do the job. If it were my trailer and life in the balance, however, I'd go for the added safety factor built in to the two-stage unit. I'd also suggest that, unless you are familiar with installing leak-free gas piping, you should have your RV repair guy install the equipment for you. Nothing makes for a bad day like watching your trailer explode and catch fire, especially if you (or your loved ones) are inside it at the time.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Not absolutely sure about this, but I believe RV standards have called for two-stage regulators for a long time -- However, owners sometimes replace them with the less expensive single-stage regulators used on some BBQ grills -- Not much cost difference and not a difficult job to do.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #6

Registry
There is no RV guy as far as I know but I'll call the propane place and see if they do it. I'm fine with leak-free plumbing gas tubing if I know what to use but I don't want to take the advice of the guy at the hardware store.

Bobbie
Old 07-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It's actually a simple job if you have the correct regulator --Just some teflon tape for sealant and some careful soap-water testing of all the connections afterward (and a second testing in future after a few trips to shake it all down) -- Don't forget to use your nose!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
It's actually a simple job if you have the correct regulator --Just some teflon tape for sealant and some careful soap-water testing of all the connections afterward (and a second testing in future after a few trips to shake it all down) -- Don't forget to use your nose!
It's finding the correct regulator that's the problem, since I don't know what to look for. But I think I'll disconnect the existing one and take it in and see if I can get some advice.

Bobbie
Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 1993 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
We've been smelling propane coming from around the tank, only when the tank valve is open of course. I reconnected the regulator to the tank using gas-line teflon tape, then checked for leaks with that gas leak detector soap, and can't find any leaks in the connections. But I still smell gas - so now I'm thinking it's coming from the regulator itself...?
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
There has to be a small vent hole on one side.
If the diaphragm has a hole in it the propane will leak out of the vent hole.
Turn the valve on and put a little spit or the soap over the hole and watch for bubbles.
If you see bubbles you need a new regulator.

Bill K

Quote:
We've been smelling propane coming from around the tank, only when the tank valve is open of course. I reconnected the regulator to the tank using gas-line teflon tape, then checked for leaks with that gas leak detector soap, and can't find any leaks in the connections. But I still smell gas - so now I'm thinking it's coming from the regulator itself...?
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #11

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:

Bobbie
Bobbie,

How do you have your Coleman lantern connected to the propane in your camper? The only Coleman lanterns with which I'm familiar connect to the 1 pound throw away bottles; that means they use high pressure propane (they may have an internal regulator). As others posted, the regulator in your camper should reduce the tank pressure to a very low pressure (11" water column). If your Coleman wants high pressure and you're giving it regulated low pressure, that might account for the pulsing.

Another thing, if you do replace the regulator get a two-stage regulator for safety. Also use teflon tape to seal the connection, but be sure it's teflon tape rated for gas line usage; do not use standard plumbers teflon tape.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #12

Registry
Hi, Morgan, its a Coleman wall lamp, came original equipment with the trailer, with propane piped in to it, not a free-standing propane lantern.

Bobbie
Old 01-29-2010, 02:00 AM   #13

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
Hi, Morgan, its a Coleman wall lamp, came original equipment with the trailer, with propane piped in to it, not a free-standing propane lantern.

Bobbie
Wow, an antique. In that case, the pressure out of the regulator may well be low. You can adjust the regulator output, but that requires a manometer capable of reading that low pressure.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 1993 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Well thanks for the tip, I replaced the regulator and it works great now, no leaks. BTW, I bought this one from Amazon, and it fit perfectly:

Camco 59333 RV Horizontal Two Stage Propane Regulator

It was a direct replacement, no extra fittings required.

I like the fact that the fitting that goes to the propane tank tightens by hand, so no tools required to remove the propane tank.
Attached Thumbnails
propane__50__.jpg  
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane