Question about trailer /tongue weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Question about trailer /tongue weight

I have a 1981 13 ft perris pacer that was just recently weighed at a trailer weigh-in..these are the numbers
left axle 660 lbs
rt axle 600 lbs
for a total trailer axle weight of 1260 lbs
the hitched trailer weight w/ wheels chocked was 260 lbs

for a total trailer weight of 1560......
my question is regarding the hitch weight...i have on the hitch a battery & spare tire.....does this trailer vs hitch ratio seem out of line ?
Should i consider moving my spare and if so, other that under the back table /bed set up where do you recommend ?...
This trailer does not currently have a rear mount bracket for the spare...looking for ideas or suggestions
Thanks in advance
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #2

correction my total weight is 1520...my bad math skills..sorry
Old 06-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Were these weights "Pack-to-go". If not you might want to get a re-weigh at that time to see where the weight is going.

260lbs tongue weight is real heavy for a 1550 lb trailer, but no problem if the TV is rated for that much weight and there is no concern for possible frame damage. I'd bring the tongue back down to about 150-175 by what ever you have to do. Remember, if you move the spare to the back that you will subtract tongue weight twice, when it's removed and the effect that it's weight will have from the back. I carry mine in the TV.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #4

tongue weight

Thanks for the quick response
yes...this was loaded for a trip.......what is the suggested ratio ?

maybe i'll have to put the spare in my tow vehicle...is that a common practice ? I can see where it makes it much easier to access in an emergency especially if it is store under the rear bunk
Old 06-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In the U.S. suggested tongue weight is usually about 10-12% of total weight. In Europe it's a bit lighter, but they have other differences there as well.

As it is a new-to-you towing experience, a little on the heavy side is better. What is the tongue weight limit for your tow vehicle (TV).

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight