Question on New Water Tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Question on New Water Tank

I plan to put a new water tank that will be under my 90 Casita Freedom Deluxe. PO had 2 -9 Gal., ABS tanks in space behind the axel and one then the other failed and now I want to put in single long tank. I found a site that will sell me a food grade "Virgin Polyethylene Plastic Resin" tank. Question is: Can this product be used outside of the camper or just for inside compartments???
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #2

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1983 Casita & 1972 home-built
Oregon
Polyethylene (PE) is supposedly the best material for water tanks and canteens in terms of the plastic leaching chemicals into the water. It is a pretty inert material. One thing that will damage PE is UV light, so sunlight and UV water purification lamps will destroy the structural integrity and the material gets brittle and fails.

If the tank is hanging unshielded under the trailer, stray UV can damage it eventually. (I have seem heating flex duct destroyed by UV in ventilated attics!) It does depend somewhat on how much UV stabilizer is in the plastic. NSF PE pipe is opaque black and has some sun resistance, but it won't last forever in the sun. The translucent PE common in water tanks and PEX tubing is less UV resistant than the black poly pipe and the manuals usually say to keep it out of the sun.

I have no idea if UV stabilizer chemicals are toxic so you don't want them in the tank. That would be something to check into.

UV water purification equipment needs to be isolated away, in a stainless steel enclosure, for example.

Some PE is fairly freeze resistant, so a tank outside could possibly freeze solid as long as it is not completely full of water. Leave 25% of the tank for expansion space and you might be OK.

You can't glue stuff to PE, but it is not hard to weld. Harbor Freight sells a plastic welder tool, and then you need rods made of the same plastic to weld fittings or brackets onto a tank.
ARVZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I'm assuming you're replacing the two 9 gallon tanks with a larger 18 gallon tank? If so, the weight when filled could be a problem since it will weigh about 150 lbs when filled. The sun may shorten the life of the tank if stored outside as well due to UV exposure.
If you plan to keep it outside it may be easier to just use a couple 7 gallon Reliance Aqua-tainers, since they would be easier to handle, store, and carry when filled.
Attached Thumbnails
Aquatainer.JPG  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I'm assuming you're replacing the two 9 gallon tanks with a larger 18 gallon tank? If so, the weight when filled could be a problem since it will weigh about 150 lbs when filled. The sun may shorten the life of the tank if stored outside as well due to UV exposure.
If you plan to keep it outside it may be easier to just use a couple 7 gallon Reliance Aqua-tainers, since they would be easier to handle, store, and carry when filled.
he said, Casita Deluxe, which means he has a toilet, shower, and hot water heater. kinda hard to use those things with your plastic water carriers.

a Casita Deluxe came with a 16 or 25 gallon PE water tank from the factory... (25 was optional on 17's only)... so its not like that's too much weight for the trailer.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I plan to put a new water tank that will be under my 90 Casita Freedom Deluxe. PO had 2 -9 Gal., ABS tanks in space behind the axel and one then the other failed and now I want to put in single long tank. I found a site that will sell me a food grade "Virgin Polyethylene Plastic Resin" tank. Question is: Can this product be used outside of the camper or just for inside compartments???
Why not just put the water tank under the dinette seat where it belongs? They put the tanks inside for a reason and in a certain area for a reason. Why try to put it under the trailer? It could get damaged from rocks, etc. The pump would have to work harder to pump the water from below to the faucets, etc. The tank is above floor level and the pump is at floor level which I would think would help keep water to the pump. If the pump is above the tank then the water cannot flow properly to the pump.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
he said, Casita Deluxe, which means he has a toilet, shower, and hot water heater. kinda hard to use those things with your plastic water carriers.

a Casita Deluxe came with a 16 or 25 gallon PE water tank from the factory... (25 was optional on 17's only)... so its not like that's too much weight for the trailer.
True, but he was asking about placing the tank outside the camper so I was thinking of tanks laying out in the sun.
I now realize that he wants to place the tank "under" the trailer so that would work, I believe Escape and Bigfoot have their tanks under the trailer? If so, it would have to have adequate supports to support the weight, since the original tank was above the floor and not under the floor.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
2009 Escape 17B.
Attached Thumbnails
Fresh water tank.jpg  
Old 09-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #8

Thanks for all the advise and the UV rays shouldn't be a problem as it will be fitting between the frame rails and only hanging down about 4 inches below this frame. Also I plan to place a full shelf hanging off the frame for support. As far as ports for water full and water take off and vent, the company will have them all installed for me in positions I choose.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #9

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
water tank

My 1994 Liberty had a 9 gallon fresh water tank next to the battery under the seat. Took out the battery and put in a 25 gallon fresh water tank. Moved the battery and added another one in a box in the front next to the propane tanks. Works perfect and easy access to the batteries.
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #10

I haven't any room on my Tongue... I have 2 -20LB propane bottles + a 5 gal. waste tote that is in a basket I have between the Jack and the bottles and as it is one of the propane bottles is touching the masserator pump I also have on a bracket that is welded onto the frame out there...Lots going on, on the front of this little camper.