questions about rivets. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #1

Name: Leif
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
questions about rivets.

I just have a couple question about rivets on these units. I have a Trillium 1300 that the drip cap needs replacing. I am wondering what you guys do with the old rivets that are drilled out, do you pull back the ensolite and pull the inside half of the rivet out or leave it in there? Same thing with the rivets for the roof vent... do you guys drill it out, then push the old rivet into the ensolite or pull the ensolite back and take it out? I don't want to do too much damage to it if I don't have to. Also do you fill the rivet with some kind of sealant?
Leif Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I have fished out rivets if I can do it without damaging the ensolite. For example, if you could drill out all of the rivets in the roof vent, then remove the roof vent, then fish out the rivet remains along the edges of the ensolite, then re-seal and re-install the roof vent or a new roof vent.

If the ensolite would be damaged in the process of removing the rivet remains, I just leave the remains behind the ensolite.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #3

Name: Leif
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Thank you for your help! Have you ever replaced the door drip cap? If so did you have to leave the remains behind it?
Leif Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #4

Michigan
Registry
Yes, I have replaced the drip cap on a trailer, and no I did not disassemble the ensolite and trim to remove the remains. I left the remains inside the ensolite.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #5

Michigan
Registry
It is very difficult to avoid damaging the ensolite and door edge molding when peeling it back. I have not had to replace the riveted-on drip cap on my Trillium 4500. If you are replacing the door frame molding (EDIT: the door frame seal/gasket), you could attempt to remove the rivet remains at that time. That might work.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:18 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
[QUOTE= Also do you fill the rivet with some kind of sealant?[/QUOTE]

Get marine rivets, they are self sealing. Any good marine repair place should have them or try on line.
Bing M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:51 AM   #7

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing M. View Post
Get marine rivets, they are self sealing. Any good marine repair place should have them or try on line.
Spaenaur.com sells closed end marine rivets, Stanley makes them.