Questions from a new lovebug owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #1

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: '74 LoveBug
Indiana
Questions from a new lovebug owner

First off, I love this app! And so glad to be a part of this forum. I just purchased a 1973 lovebug. It is in pretty good shape, must have been redone a few years back. Here are my questions:
1. Are there stabilizer jacks for the back? The person I bought it from gave me some metal stakes and said that they should fit under the back somewhere?
2. Has anyone added air conditioning? Any suggestions?
3. My rims are mounted reverse with the filler nozzle for air facing under the camper? Is this normal?
4. Should I be worried about how low this things rides? Any problems dragging on roads?

I just upgraded to this from a home made teardrop. Super excited to get out and go camping! Thanks for any and all input!
BoilerJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJA View Post
First off, I love this app! And so glad to be a part of this forum.
Welcome!
Quote:
I just purchased a 1973 lovebug. It is in pretty good shape, must have been redone a few years back. Here are my questions:
1. Are there stabilizer jacks for the back? The person I bought it from gave me some metal stakes and said that they should fit under the back somewhere?
You need something under the back to keep the trailer from flipping on its rear bumper when unhitched and several people are in the back.
Quote:
2. Has anyone added air conditioning? Any suggestions?
Do a search here using the Google search window. It is on the bottom of the Search pull down tab
Quote:
3. My rims are mounted reverse with the filler nozzle for air facing under the camper? Is this normal?
No, something is wrong
Quote:
4. Should I be worried about how low this things rides? Any problems dragging on roads?
Yes, you should be worried . The axle is likely shot. This is a common $500+ problem
Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
"I love this app"

I also use the iphone and iPad fiberglassrv app for both reading and posting to this forum. It makes posting photos from my phone super easy!
However, if the google search function is available to use within the app I have not found a way to do so. As a result When I am searching for something on the site I always use safari and type into the google searchbar--- "site:fiberglassrv.com "search terms go here""---- otherwise every search within the app provides the same results, which is all threads both related and unrelated to the search terms.

If anyone knows a better way to search with the apps plz let me know.

Welcome to fiberglass rv camping!
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Jeremy, to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here!

Wow, rims mounted backwards. Ahhh no, that's not right. I wonder if it's because the offset is not correct? Travel trailers have zero offset wheels.

Post pictures when you can, we love to look at pics
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
....... Travel trailers have zero offset wheels.
..........except UHauls.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
..........except UHauls.
Oh yeah... there's THOSE
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #7

Indiana
I'll post pics soon. This is the Craigslist add where I found it. I didn't pay asking price, or anywhere near it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1375579836.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	56686
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #8

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
It does look like its riding a little low. This is most likely attributed to an axle that is due to be replaced. Its the nature of a Torflex style axle to get saggy over time. I found when I replaced the axle on my boler, it stiffened up the ride and made it less bouncy. If you do add a new axle, its a good time to add trailer brakes too. If you dont want brakes, at least make sure they put on the mounting flanges so the brakes can be added later.

There is lots of really good discussion about air conditioners here. Most use some sort of house window air conditioner in some configuration or other. The roof isnt strong enough to support an rv air conditioner without some sort of additional support.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #9

Indiana
Where can I find out about axle replacement? Something I could do myself? I know there are threads on here and I have glanced at them. Is it a replacement or can I buy new somewhere.

Here is a pic of the a/c unit I was thinking of installing. Hopefully can install it without cutting a hole in the side of the camper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3436683147.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	385.6 KB
ID:	56717
Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #10

Some people have just hung a small $150 air conditioner off an open sliding window. There have been some clever mounting brackets made that allow the AC to set into place while parked and ride inside while traveling.

Example:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-40627.html
Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #11

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJA View Post
Where can I find out about axle replacement? Something I could do myself? I know there are threads on here and I have glanced at them. Is it a replacement or can I buy new somewhere.
Take a look to see how the axle is mounted to the frame. If its bolted on, you can probably do it yourself. If its welded on, you will need the assistance of an experienced welding shop. In my case I took the old axle to a dealer and asked them to make me one that matches (but add brakes). These axles are made custom, so its best to have the dealer take the measurements.

If you are lucky, there may be an identification plate rivited onto your axle. The older ones were done that way. This might give you some information. In my case, the plate was damaged to the point of being unreadable.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote