Quiet Generators - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #1

Name: Anita
Trailer: Egg Camper
West Virginia
Quiet Generators

I have read a lot of posts. Seems like a 3000 watt is what is needed. Has anyone used or neighbored with someone using an Atima 2000 watt. Claims to use the Yamaha engine half the cost?s
Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #2

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita View Post
I have read a lot of posts. Seems like a 3000 watt is what is needed. Has anyone used or neighbored with someone using an Atima 2000 watt. Claims to use the Yamaha engine half the cost?s
I know nothing about a atima 2000 watt generator, and could not find any information on it.

My only piece of advice is be sure ANY generator you buy does not have a "lawn mower" type of muffler on it. THEY ARE SO NOSY that neighbors will want to run you of the campground!

You also might want to carry any 2000 watt generator for 20 or 30 feet to see if you would like to move one around very often. I have a 2000 watt Honda generator, and it's not something I'd want to carry very far.

Good luck,

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It'd actually the type of generator used that determines most of the noise level. An a/c generator has to usually run at 3600 RPM to product 60 cycle power. An "Inverter" generator uses a DC generator and electronic inverter to provide power and will run at a slower RPM, resulting in less noise. (That's very basic)

Off brand generators usually suffer from higher noise, more weight and less reliability

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Can't help you with the model you mention. The Honda 2000 is probably the best on the market for our eggs and being quite. The generator question can be a hot topic here . I run my 2000 in the bed of the p/u with the tailgate closed for about 10-15 minutes a day so most of the noise goes up and not to the side. Never had anyone say anything but I rarely camp in camp ground sites, YMMV.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Anita, we have the 2000i Yamaha inverter generator, and am very happy with it's ability to run our Lil Snoozy (air conditioner, water heater, microwave, battery charger). Two reasons that I purchased the Yamaha rather than the Honda (both were offered for the same price at that time) were: 1) Yamaha has a gas shut off, so I just shut it off and let the generator run out of gas, so no gas stays in the carb., and 2) The Yamaha engine has a steel cylinder sleeve, which gives 3 times the run hours that a Honda will deliver before the engine will need rebuilding (at least that is what I read). I do not know if the generator that you are considering is an inverter generator, so I don't know if it is a good deal.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:04 PM   #6

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Hi Anita,

The quiet generators are going to be the more expensive Yamahas and Hondas. If you want to be able to run an air conditioner the smallest quietest and lightest generator that can do that is the Yamaha 2400. It puts out 2400 watts and weighs 70 lbs. and is very quiet, and quite expensive. They also make a 2800 watt model that has slightly more noise and weighs about another 10 pounds. Also not cheap. If you go 3000 watts on any brand then you are going to be at 140 or 150 lbs. That will put you on the chiropractor’s table. If you don't need to run an air conditioner you are probably better off with a Honda 2000. It is light weight, somewhat less expensive, and very high quality.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
The 2 best and least noisy are Honda and Yamaha.
Honda has one advantage.
In the remote possibility you should ever have a problem with either one Honda has a wider service network.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:29 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Hi Anita,

The quiet generators are going to be the more expensive Yamahas and Hondas. If you want to be able to run an air conditioner the smallest quietest and lightest generator that can do that is the Yamaha 2400. It puts out 2400 watts and weighs 70 lbs. and is very quiet, and quite expensive. They also make a 2800 watt model that has slightly more noise and weighs about another 10 pounds. Also not cheap. If you go 3000 watts on any brand then you are going to be at 140 or 150 lbs. That will put you on the chiropractor’s table. If you don't need to run an air conditioner you are probably better off with a Honda 2000. It is light weight, somewhat less expensive, and very high quality.
Wrong. My Honda 2000i ran the A/C fine in my Casita and works just as well in my Escape 21.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:37 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Hi Anita,

My Honda 2000 runs my stock (no soft start added) 9200btu roof air very well. During a 25 hour 95* summer power outage we slept in the Casita with the air on. 68* inside and the genny only ran at half throttle for over eight hours on a tank of gas....sweet.
As a follow up to another comment made about repair centers. Before I bought a generator I ask a good buddy who has been repairing small gas equipment for 40 years what brand to buy. His answer was Honda hands down. I do like the idea of a fuel shut off though. As always, YMMV .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:47 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Honda 1000 EUI has a lever on the gas cap that closes it to prevent fumes. I've never had the patience to find out how long it takes for the engine to shut down after closing it.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #11

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
My Honda 2000ei will run all of the electrics in our LiL Snoozy. Including the air. I carry it in the back of the SUV and with the vent closed we never smell gas.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:58 AM   #12

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
I have a Honda 2000 and it runs my air conditioner just fine. I installed my own gas shut off valve to help prevent carb problems. Kits are available on the internet.
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:22 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It seems that the term "Air Conditioner" is being used in a very generic sense.
Air-conditioners used in FGRV's vary from 5000 BTU through the wall/window units to the 13,500 BTU capacity of some rooftop units. The Honda 2000 will usually run ac's up to about 10,000 btu's without problems.

In looking at a generator to run an a/c, keep in mind the "Locked Rotor Current" that the unit will require for a restart after running. This is often 3X the normal run current and will trip off most smaller generators on a/c's over 10,000 BTU's. In some cases a "Soft start" kit, that reduces restart current, may alleviate the problem

Bottom line, when someone sez that their generator will run their a/c, be sure to ask about how big an a/c unit is being used.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #14

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I know that this will kick off a fire storm of dissent, but I have a Harbor Freight 2500 watt inverter generator.

It is heavier than the Honda and slightly noiser, but my dB meter soes not show much difference.

There is a mod to make it a little quieter since the most objectionable noise actually comes from the intake. It involves adding some baffle tubes to the air cleaner.

I have used this generator to run my 9ooo Btu heat pump and the microwave at the same time.
We have both Honda (3) and the HF units at work and they both seem to work OK. We have had tone of the Hondas walk off the job, but the HF stayed.

If you get one run it in and then use a good quality synthetic oil and we think it will hold up just fine.

The HF unit weighs about 64 lbs, but it also puts out more power.
I bought mine with a discount coupon for $399.00 a price that is hard to beat.

Let the dissin' of Harbor Freight begin.
Attached Thumbnails
HF intake 2.jpg   HF intake-1.jpg  

redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #15

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
I have not done any generator research for three or four years. To me the cat's meow would be a generator with remote start (with a key fob like your car). The only ones I saw the last time I looked were larger, heavier generators. I am a fairly stout guy but I don't want to be loading and unloading a 150 lb generator.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
When researching make sure you read the find print as to the distance from the generator the manufacturer used to determine their advertised sound level. There can be a BIG difference..... some might appear to have the same sound level but one manufacturer may be measuring at 5' away while another manufacture will be measuring at 25' away.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Fuel cells? Those are noiseless, except for a cooling fan...

...however, they are not for those of us in the Scamp price bracket. Sigh.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #18

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Powermate 2000I Portable Inverter Generator - Walmart.com works fine to me. I paid $360 for it a year ago.

My common rule is to never buy brand name items. They are overpriced.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
My common rule is to never buy brand name items. They are overpriced.
Being a contractor that uses my tools for a living, I would not consider anything but the best brand name products. They are definitely pricier, but they pay for themselves in many ways.

Firstly, they last many times longer. I was once told that you can spend double the money for tools you pass off to your kids, rather than spending half the money to replace them in short order. I have definitely found this to be true.

Secondly, they often do a better job, and when quality work matters, quality tools must be used.

And thirdly, they are usually more ergonomically designed, making them easier to use, which is very important when putting a few hours a day on them, and not being fatigued.

That said, I agree with what most said, and would only buy a Honda or Yamaha genset. I have owned a few of each, currently have a 3000W Yamaha inverter, and the only problem I ever had with them, is that thieves like to target them. I have had a couple go missing from jobsites, and one was stolen from a locked shed on our rec property.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #20

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
What is better to you - honda generator for $1000 which will last for 10 years or no-name generator for $400 which will last for 5 years? I prefer to replace cheap things with a new ones. Inverter generator is not a long time durable item. Technology evolves.

Tags
generator