Rain guards - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2015, 04:31 AM   #1

Name: Bev
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Rain guards

I purchased 3 rain guards from Vintage Trailer for my 1972 Boiler. My plan was to install them with 2 way sticky tape 3M. I don't want to put holes in the trailer. The small window above the sink will work but the 2 side windows is where the trailer starts to curve making the application difficult. Any suggestions?
Bev G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
If the rain guard is plastic, try heating it with a hair dryer or low power heat gun to make it flexible enough to conform to the contours of the trailer.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
If the rain guard is plastic, try heating it with a hair dryer or low power heat gun to make it flexible enough to conform to the contours of the trailer.
Tape down the guard (over the top of it) as best you can where you can without pressure, then use the heat gun to form the rest about 6-12 inches at a time. Hold each newly formed section in place as it cools, tape that section down, then proceed until the whole piece is pretty well shaped. Use a pencil to make a mounting guide/line above the reshaped guard. Remove the whole piece, add the 3M VHB exterior rated tape, and put it in place.

I work with heat forming a LOT of plastic!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev G View Post
I purchased 3 rain guards from Vintage Trailer for my 1972 Boiler. My plan was to install them with 2 way sticky tape 3M. I don't want to put holes in the trailer. The small window above the sink will work but the 2 side windows is where the trailer starts to curve making the application difficult. Any suggestions?
I guess I should have mentioned they're aluminum.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:36 AM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev G View Post
I guess I should have mentioned they're aluminum.
Now that is different - you don't want to end up with any kinks in it, so first try to match the curve in place. I would protect the gel coat with paper, duct tape or something, so the aluminum does not rub off on it. Since it will spring back somewhat, you need to bend it a little more by hand to get a good match. Then apply the VHB tape. If the shape is not matched well, the steady pull may overcome the VHB tape. I do not know if this channel is U-shaped, in which case a small radius bend might close up the channel.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can't help you with solutions to bending aluminum. Other than suggestion a bit smaller size? And even though you've already made the purchase (can you return?) perhaps a different product is what you need. Perhaps like this: Essential Products RV & Marine - EZE RV Gutters

Truthfully, your windows shouldn't leak and if they are you should fix that first. Any kind of gutter is a bandaid if the windows leak.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I agree, return the aluminum gutter and replace is with plastic. Form it with heat, as others suggested. (And check the windows and their channels and weep holes.)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I tried the EZ RV Gutters on our Uhaul as a quick fix for window leaks. Didn't work. Finally replaced 3 of the 5 windows and fixed the leaks. What Bev has may work if riveted on, but know she was trying to avoid doing that. Maybe the plastic window guards for cars if the right length could be found. They may be more flexible. Another Uhaul owner did it on their trailer, but I don't know the results.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Are you adding these rain guards for A) Cosmetic appearances or Because the windows leak?

If "B", have you removed the entire window and resealed with an RV Putty Tape product?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #10

British Columbia
Thanks everyone for your comments. Much appreciated.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:50 AM   #11

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Ohhh, I like this idea. We also have a problem with our bathroom window so I'll be watching this thread as well as investigating the rain guards for that issue.