Range hood can I remove? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Range hood can I remove?

I am going to renovate my 76 13' boler and need to know if I can remove the range hood there is no fan or light, and seems in the way. I would like to open up that end. Any suggestions?
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #2

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
No problem at all to remove it. Try don't damage the cabinet.
Not too late to join this party:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/8884...?ref=bookmarks
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
If you have a powered vent fan such as the Fantastic Fan or Maxxfan, it can be used to adequately vent the trailer while cooking. If not, I don't know that I'd trust it.

Walt
Old 02-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Powered ceiling vent fan is so much more useful, doesn't take up any space, and doesn't hit me in the forehead like the standard range hoods on campers. Our current Escape doesn't have a range hood (original buyer deleted it). Our old Casita had one, I hit my head on it several times.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #5

SW Virginia
I removed the range hood on my Casita and deleted it when I ordered my new Escape. On my Bigfoot the battery and tank monitors were integral to the range hood so I left it in place.

Walt
Old 02-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
I am going to renovate my 76 13' boler and need to know if I can remove the range hood there is no fan or light, and seems in the way. I would like to open up that end. Any suggestions?
I removed the range hood eventhough it had a light and fan in it. In the way and there's a light next to range over the sink and I have the fantastic fan above. I have heard on this forum in the past that a couple of states require them if you sell the unit. So I kept mine in storage in case I run into that in the future. I capped the electric wires and wrapped them in electrical tape after pulling them up under the carpet in the cabinet above the hood. I added a small cabinet above where the hood was with 2 drawers in it for small items and plastic ware.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I removed the range hood eventhough it had a light and fan in it. In the way and there's a light next to range over the sink and I have the fantastic fan above. I have heard on this forum in the past that a couple of states require them if you sell the unit. So I kept mine in storage in case I run into that in the future. I capped the electric wires and wrapped them in electrical tape after pulling them up under the carpet in the cabinet above the hood. I added a small cabinet above where the hood was with 2 drawers in it for small items and plastic ware.
Thank you Jann.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #8

SW Virginia
On my Casita I did add an overhead light in place of the hood. It was a pretty easy mod.

Walt
Old 02-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
If I did a lot of cooking on the stove top I would leave it in as it directs heat and steam out the window.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:35 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
...I have heard on this forum in the past that a couple of states require them if you sell the unit. So I kept mine in storage in case I run into that in the future. ...
I am also thinking that the exhaust hood takes up space unnecessarily and I could live without it. My wife likes it, but maybe she would also like the extra space. How would I find which states require these things? It is an option with Scamp, so such requirement is certainly not universal.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #11

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I am also thinking that the exhaust hood takes up space unnecessarily and I could live without it. My wife likes it, but maybe she would also like the extra space. How would I find which states require these things? It is an option with Scamp, so such requirement is certainly not universal.
I wouldn't worry about it then. If it is an option then they can't make you do it later I wouldn't think. I only know what someone said on this forum and they could have been wrong or maybe if it is manufactured in a certain state they have to be put in. I can't find anything that says you have to have one in an RV. They are required in homes though. Check out Greg's mod it is awesome.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it then. If it is an option then they can't make you do it later I wouldn't think. I only know what someone said on this forum and they could have been wrong or maybe if it is manufactured in a certain state they have to be put in. I can't find anything that says you have to have one in an RV. They are required in homes though. Check out Greg's mod it is awesome.
You say this in another post on another thread:
" It is against the law in all places to dump on the ground or any other place not connected to a sewer".
You should really check your sources before posting information that you think you read somewhere on the web.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You say this in another post on another thread:
" It is against the law in all places to dump on the ground or any other place not connected to a sewer".
You should really check your sources before posting information that you think you read somewhere on the web.
I did not read this any place. I found out the hard way when I didn't have a holding tank and was letting the grey water run onto the ground in the forest in a state park. I was almost fined and kicked out. They were lenient and let me put a closed bucket with a hole for a hose in it to catch the grey water and was told to never dump any water on the ground. It causes bears and other animals to come into camp grounds. Maybe some states allow it but I wouldn't chance it ever again. Personal experience trumps anything you read.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #14

Quote:
I did not read this any place. Maybe some states allow it
Then, why did you post this: " It is against the law in all places to dump on the ground or any other place not connected to a sewer".
Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #15

Colorado
Quote:
Then, why did you post this: " It is against the law in all places to dump on the ground or any other place not connected to a sewer".
Because I have been told that in more than one place and have seen it posted in places that all water must be caught and disposed of properly. Maybe you have never noticed or live where it might be legal but I don't know of any place that allows it. Do you live in a state that allows it? If so then where are you?
Old 02-07-2018, 11:23 PM   #16

You don't get it. It's not about where I live or if it's legal somewhere.
Unless you can back up a statement with evidence, then you shouldn't post that something is illegal everywhere or in all places.
You are just making stuff up and posting it.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:38 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
If I did a lot of cooking on the stove top I would leave it in as it directs heat and steam out the window.
Thanks Gerry, I was wondering why it was there with no fan or light, but there is a little window.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:43 PM   #18

Colorado
Quote:
You don't get it. It's not about where I live or if it's legal somewhere.
Unless you can back up a statement with evidence, then you shouldn't post that something is illegal everywhere or in all places.
You are just making stuff up and posting it.
Evidently my experience is not enough for you. Can you prove it is legal to dump on the ground? No you can't. I just know what I've seen and experienced which must be more than you have done. I'm not going to say any more about this either.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Evidently my experience is not enough for you. Can you prove it is legal to dump on the ground? No you can't. I just know what I've seen and experienced which must be more than you have done. I'm not going to say any more about this either.
You post your experience. No more.
You don't then say it's illegal everywhere.
That's all I'm saying, because on recent threads you have stated that something is against the law, without evidence that it is.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Jann, I'll thank you for posting your experience. For some who are new to camping or returning after a long hiatus, they may not be aware that rules and best practices have changed a lot since our youth, when we thought we were doing the trees a favor by watering them. I never had a ranger at my site, but I only gradually became aware that some of the things I was doing were no longer acceptable. Change and adapt.

Rules vary, especially regarding grey water disposal, so best to ask, even if there are no signs posted. Some places allow you to empty small quantities on the ground; others don't. I'm having a hard time imagining any place where it is acceptable to empty a holding tank or to run grey water from an RV straight onto the ground.

As to RV safety codes, such as a requirement for a range hood, I could imagine places with an ordinance on the books requiring all RV's to meet codes, but I am unaware of any jurisdiction that actually conducts inspections. RVIA manufacturers are supposed to follow the codes, but compliance is largely voluntary and spotty. Scamp is not a member- they don't even supply a smoke detector on new builds (and only recently started installing a battery-powered CO detector). In the end, the burden of verifying safety and code-compliance falls heavily on the buyer/owner.

I have heard some private RV parks require an RVIA emblem, but they're not going to do an inspection, so the requirement is really a CYA for liability.

I don't know if the code specifies a range hood- probably does- but I can't see it mattering much. A uber-scrupulous repair shop might insist things meet code if they work on that part of the trailer. A dealer might ding you on a trade-in, perhaps. I agree with Gerry that the more you use the cooktop, the more reason to leave it in place, especially if it is powered. Many of us with smaller trailers only do light cooking inside, if at all.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote