Rat Fur Replacement 1996 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #1

Name: Alena
Trailer: Scamp
California
Rat Fur Replacement 1996 16' Scamp

Hi all,
We're in the process of renewing the rat fur (and reflectix foil) in our 1996 16' Scamp. I'm hoping someone can share their experience with a project like this. We've removed almost all of the rat fur and foil underneath, but didn't remove the pieces that are behind the cupboards or the closet. My plan is to cut the new foil and rat fur to pieces and place it as tight as possible to all cupboards, trying to avoid any slits and gaps. Maybe even 'seal' it with extra stripes of rat fur (similar to what scamp does).
I'd remove the windows, however, to not take the risk of any leaks. But as for all the remaining furniture, I wouldn't remove them to replace foil and rat fur, but would rather 'work around' them.

I'm not bothered at all by all the work ahead of me I Just want to make sure there's nothing terribly wrong with that approach. Do I risk the stability of my Scamp? Do I risk mold, moisture, or anything else?

Here's a picture so my question doesn't get lost:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCSLdDAp..._web_copy_link
Trilooo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #2

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Rat fur?

Start trapping squirrels and get a glue gun? Maybe 50K squirrel tails will cover it?

OK sorry been cooped up too long w/o being on the road as much as we prefer.

I am sure multitudes of others will have reasonable suggestions.

Bat Dude
Old 08-04-2020, 01:14 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I have found that I had to use a high temperature headliner glue from DAP, because the 3M let loose in the hot Arizona sun. I also found that it was much easier if you have two people working the rat fur using paint rollers instead of your hands, as hands tended to stretch the fabric causing wrinckles.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
this is what you need. Probably cant get it in California due to VOC content hope You have people out of state. water base contact adhesives suck don't use 3/m supper 77 at minimum you need super 90 for the heat rating but I have never used it on large hot areas.

https://www.dap.com/products-project...ndau-top-trim/
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp