'Rat fur' shedding - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-23-2018, 10:05 AM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
even older

Floyd our 13f scamper a 95 I too see nothing. p/o must have done something I bet they did a shampoo job and didn't get it rinsed well.

I am never going to do that!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:57 PM   #22

Name: Pavlo
Trailer: Scamp
California
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Spinning brush turned out to be too agressive, but it looks like the wet cleaning actually helps. I will try a full deep cleaning with a Hoover wet vac on a weekend (plan is to go easy with water instead of detergent), see if I can clean it up completely.
CA_hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
too much detergant

too much of that stuff can cause big problems!

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #24

Name: Pavlo
Trailer: Scamp
California
Ok, here's an update!

Good news: my rat fur can be cleaned and saved!

Bad news: there is no fast and easy way to do it, it is a long and labor intensive process.

So far I tried different techniques over the 'test area' with the most severe shedding.

1) Initial dry vac to remove the most obvious shedding and dirt - not effective at all, but I started with this step anyway.

2) Wet vac with upholstery attachment. No shampoo, just a tap warm water. Removed a lot of the loose fibers and dust. Also washed away all detergent residue (which I believe was the cause of the shedding to begin with). After this step headliner looks like new and became nice and soft to the touch.

3) Blowing rat fur with a blowgun and compressor. Slow and boring process (I have a small 6 gal compressor and have to wait for it to recharge every 30 seconds), but it seems to remove pretty much all of the loose fibers and shedding. After this step shedding finally stopped.

4) Additional dry vacuuming clean up. After using a blowgun, there is a piles of loose fibers everywhere on the floor.

Now I have a proof that shedding rat fur can actually be cleaned, so I'm thinking about either finishing the cleanup myself (would take a few more hours) or just drop my Scamp at the nearest detailing shop and ask them to do the job.

Anyway, I'm really happy that it looks like I can avoid rat fur replacement
CA_hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #25

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Thank you for the up date, and so happy it is working out for you.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Yes thanks for the update, I was following but never commented.

I have to wonder if a professional steam cleaning is the way to go. A few years ago I had to sell my mom's car and it was a mess. Took it to a place that does nothing but vehicle interiors and they cleaned the carpet and upholstery so well some of it looked like new. We easily got paid back for the $100 or so that is cost when it sold.

However some of the car upholstery had water stains that they never could get out. Funny how they can get out all sorts of stains but not water stains.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote