Re-greasing UHaul CT Bearings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT
I had my brother-in-law come over today to help me re-grease the bearings on my UHaul CT. We were unable to break the seal. In fact, we only got one bolt loose. We retightened it and I'm going to have to have someone else do this. I have 2 questions.

1. Who would be the best to do this work? A tire place?

2. I've read several threads in which people mentioned that they had to re-grease the bearings mid trip... what are the signs you need to do this soon and the sign you need to do this mid-trip?
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I'm quoting an answer that I got from someone on this forum.

"Uhaul bearings are sealed. You do not grease them... the grease in them is never changed. You don't do anything with them until they wear out, and you can tell that they are worn on inspection because they have too much free play, which is a check that should be done with any wheel bearing, sealed or not. When they are replaced, they are usually part of an assembly which bolts in. Bearings work very well and routinely last the entire life of a car which travels ten times as much as a trailer. "

When I recently had my trailer in for new tires, my mechanic said this same thing. He tested the 'wiggle' in my wheels and said that they were tight and not needing any work.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT
That explains the difficulty we had... Thanks.

Quote:
I'm quoting an answer that I got from someone on this forum.

"Uhaul bearings are sealed. You do not grease them... the grease in them is never changed. You don't do anything with them until they wear out, and you can tell that they are worn on inspection because they have too much free play, which is a check that should be done with any wheel bearing, sealed or not. When they are replaced, they are usually part of an assembly which bolts in. Bearings work very well and routinely last the entire life of a car which travels ten times as much as a trailer. "

When I recently had my trailer in for new tires, my mechanic said this same thing. He tested the 'wiggle' in my wheels and said that they were tight and not needing any work.
KarenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
theyre very simular to whats on the rear of a mid size GM car from the eighties (front wheel drive ).
Neither is meant to be serviced and in most cases outlast the vehicle theyre on. So dont open em up unless you wanna buy new really soon.
Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul