Re-hanging Boler door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

Name: Angela
Trailer: Boler
nova scotia
Re-hanging Boler door

Hi all. I am gearing up to rehang my door after all my renovations. I ruined the original hinges so I will be using the ones from Scamp. I have been sear chin for answers/tip on two things;
1. Any experience putting back on the metal reinforcement bar that attaches to the inner hinge side of the door frame? From what I can tell I would line it back up, clamp the shell to the bar and attach, drilling in from the outside. Any suggestions on how to line up the holes that are in the bar when screwing in from the outside?
2. Tips on hanging the door in general; tricks on aligning the door and hinges to get the best fit. (we know the doors are notoriously bad fits)
Thanks for any tips you may have learned through doing these things already.
BarterBoler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
There is Good and Bad in using Scamp hinges (which I have now on my Boler)

Bad
1) None of the holes align with the original mounting holes, both the spacing and the locations are different

2) Each leaf of the hinge are not parallel, in that they do not lay flat from the Boler body to the door. Shims or spacers need to be installed under the door side of the hinge for the door to lay flush and close tight

Good
1) the hinge offset is better when opening and allows the door to fully open back before it hits the belly band

2) the hinges are stronger with the additional bolt on the body side hold the hinge better with less slipping

Because you have to drill new holes I made steel plates for the inside that are drilled and align with the mounting holes. Large fender washers could also be used but would not distribute the load quite as well.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #3

Name: Beverly J
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Washington
I will need to do the same soon, just purchased a 1975 Boler...has the chronic sagging door. Seems they separate at the union where outside wall seperates from inside door bench, floor and frame....so finding not just a hinge fix.
Are you finding the same?
Beverly Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

Name: debra
Trailer: 1936 Kaycraft Kampster
Idaho
wall separating from inside door bench

if i understand your post, this is precisely what has occured in our boler. would love to see some imput on this quandry. were you able to work a fix to yours, Beverly?
hdpendent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly Jones View Post
...has the chronic sagging door. Seems they separate at the union where outside wall seperates from inside door bench, floor and frame....so finding not just a hinge fix.
Are you finding the same?
Common problem. Search this site for "body bulge".
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

Name: debra
Trailer: 1936 Kaycraft Kampster
Idaho
door sag

yes, thank you Roy. Have been reading alot since that post. Plan to learn how to do some fiberglassing next.
hdpendent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler