Rear bed size in 16' scamp - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Posts: 114
Rear bed size in 16' scamp

Hi, we are trying to figure out what trailer to get. I see that the rear bed in the 16' scamp deluxe is almost a full size, where in the standard is only about 46". How is that possible in the same size trailer? I've heard that part of the larger bed is in a cutout under the area next to the bed? But that seems like it would be under the chair and stove? I can't wrap my head around this. Does anyone have photos or a better description? Thanks!
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rdickens's Avatar
 
Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Posts: 684
In the wider bed Scamp13, they made the sink/stove/refrigerator cabinet 10" narrower and reduced the width of the wardrobe cabinet by 10" (from 22" down to 12").

Ray

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,881
Registry
The Standard bed is 44" wide, the Deluxe is available with a 54" wide bed.
Having owned both I'd say you want the 54" bed.
For photos and layouts see the Scamp website...

Lightweight Travel Trailers & Small Campers - Scamp Trailers
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,923
Hello Marge and welcome. The Scamp 13' deluxe has a double (54") bed and you can get the double in the standard if you ask for it. Unless things have changed recently thats not so for the 16'. There it is only available in the deluxe. Why, you'll have to ask them. For pictures, the web site is quite good. If you look carefully you can see how they fit the double. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Posts: 291
We've had both sizes as well. Kinda creates a different trailer, really. Since the "big bed" option isn't available yet in the 16 Standard, you have a decision to make.

It's kinda like Day Light Savings Time. In the 13' it is a "no cost" option. But, as has been said, When you "add" 10" to the bed,something has to give and the galley and the closet both "take a poundin'" as they say out in the country. hahahaha
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 10,121
Registry
Rear bed size in 16' scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
...I've heard that part of the larger bed is in a cutout under the area next to the bed? But that seems like it would be under the chair and stove? I can't wrap my head around this. Does anyone have photos or a better description? Thanks!
In the side dinette deluxe version, the stove hangs out over the dinette. This was necessary to accommodate a cabinet for the larger 4.6cf fridge. I'm not clear whether the larger fridge is optional or standard. At one time they offered the smaller fridge mounted under the counter without the large cabinet or the overhang.

This is the best photo I could come up with. You can just see the overhang on the extreme lower right.

Name:   Scamp Deluxe.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  10.5 KB

An alternative is the front dinette layout. It places the large fridge next to the bath on the street side so the large cabinet by the door is eliminated, along with the overhang.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,881
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
We've had both sizes as well. Kinda creates a different trailer, really. Since the "big bed" option isn't available yet in the 16 Standard, you have a decision to make.
Its been 12 years and I am thankful every time I use my trailer that I bought the Deluxe. Don't think that the difference is all cosmetic, 'Cause it ain't!
BTW... You will want the front bath!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 25,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
BTW... You will want the front bath!
No he doesn't, he wants the side bath so he can get a big front window!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Posts: 114
Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, this makes a lot of sense. The guy at Scamp gave me a different impression. I think I'd much rather have a bigger bed and lose some counter/wardrobe space. We currently have a little teardrop trailer with a 46 1/2" bed and I can't imagine going any smaller....
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In the side dinette deluxe version, the stove hangs out over the dinette. This was necessary to accommodate a cabinet for the larger 4.6cf fridge. I'm not clear whether the larger fridge is optional or standard. At one time they offered the smaller fridge mounted under the counter without the large cabinet or the overhang.

This is the best photo I could come up with. You can just see the overhang on the extreme lower right.
Attachment 93302

An alternative is the front dinette layout. It places the large fridge next to the bath on the street side so the large cabinet by the door is eliminated, along with the overhang.
Jon, so does the bed actually go under that overhang? If so, does it get in the way of your head and/or feet?
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 10,121
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
Jon, so does the bed actually go under that overhang? If so, does it get in the way of your head and/or feet?
It does. I don't own that layout, so I can't say how well it works. Looks like there's room for your feet underneath, unless you want to add a mattress topper or something like that. You don't really need as much space on the feet end anyway. But I think you'd have to sleep with your head on the other end.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It does. I don't own that layout, so I can't say how well it works. Looks like there's room for your feet underneath, unless you want to add a mattress topper or something like that. You don't really need as much space on the feet end anyway. But I think you'd have to sleep with your head on the other end.

Thanks, Jon, That helps a lot. We are definitely topper people, so will need to see one of these in person before committing to this style. Who knows, we may even go with the 5th wheel.
Marge
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:12 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 25,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
Thanks, Jon, That helps a lot. We are definitely topper people, so will need to see one of these in person before committing to this style. Who knows, we may even go with the 5th wheel.
Marge
Depending where in Oregon you're located... I'm in Portland, you are more than welcome to come view my Escape 5.0TA. I know you're considering the Scamp, but the more choices considered the better the decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Sumas_FirstHook.jpg  
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #14
M_C
Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
Posts: 44
We are in NE California, if you would like to look at our 2015, 16' Deluxe, side dinette.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Depending where in Oregon you're located... I'm in Portland, you are more than welcome to come view my Escape 5.0TA. I know you're considering the Scamp, but the more choices considered the better the decision.
Wow, thanks Donna! We're in Bend. We get over to Portland occasionally. I'll keep this in mind. We have looked at the Escapes online. They look super nice and also a bit out of our price range. But not completely off the list. Are you going to Maryhill in May? We're hoping to make a day trip up there.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_C View Post
We are in NE California, if you would like to look at our 2015, 16' Deluxe, side dinette.
Thanks, Mike. We're in Bend, so NE CA wouldn't be too bad. If we can't find one closer, I'll let you know. We're planning on crashing a couple of fiberglass rallies in OR this year, so we may see one that way.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:34 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 25,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeleept View Post
Wow, thanks Donna! We're in Bend. We get over to Portland occasionally. I'll keep this in mind. We have looked at the Escapes online. They look super nice and also a bit out of our price range. But not completely off the list. Are you going to Maryhill in May? We're hoping to make a day trip up there.
No Marge, I won't be attending Maryhill. If you're looking for something a bit closer... consider the Spring NOG April 21-24. South and east of Salem outside of Lebanon, off Hwy 20.

2016, April 21-24: Spring NOG - Northern Oregon Gathering - Casita Travel Trailer Forum

Different sizes and brands available for viewing

If you have any questions, send me a PM.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:36 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,881
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No he doesn't, he wants the side bath so he can get a big front window!
Go outside for scenery and you can have a comfortable shower inside.
Better yet, when you set-up, aim the rear window at the best view and have the best of both worlds.

No great view forward in a 5.0 T/A either but it doesn't make it less awesome.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 25,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Go outside for scenery and you can have a comfortable shower inside.
Better yet, when you set-up, aim the rear window at the best view and have the best of both worlds.

No great view forward in a 5.0 T/A either but it doesn't make it less awesome.
Fortunately, I own both

Raining too hard to go outside
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Posts: 114
Great tip, thanks, Donna!
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size TomK General Chat 60 03-06-2020 10:38 AM
Queen-size bed: Modifying a Scamp/Casita or buying something else. samclem General Chat 14 03-25-2016 09:57 PM
bed size in scamp trailer jim ellis General Chat 2 12-01-2012 12:35 PM
SCAMP - Double bed cushions? - Size? bigd-bigm Modifications, Alterations and Updates 3 09-19-2012 08:37 AM
Scamp 13' bed size bobcaldwell General Chat 2 10-20-2008 10:35 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.