Rear View Camera Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Rear View Camera Question

For those of you who have installed a rear view camera on your egg in order to keep track of traffic behind you and the tailgaters, did you install it above the rear window or below the rear window, and why?

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Carl, you don't want to hear from me My new F-150 came with a rearview camera.. installed on the tail gate. I really wish it was mounted up on the third brake light (top of cab) instead. There's a reason HIGH wins (bigger field of vision), but it really depends on the "camera." Now, you just need to hear from folks that put one on their trailer!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #3

Florida
Registry
Yea, Donna, you're right. I have a BU camera in our CR-V and I love it. But I didn't have one on the F150, only a warning buzzer that beeps more rapidly the closer you get to something. But if I did have the BU camera in the tailgate it would have presented me with a quandary...... I changed the tailgate to a "5th wheel tailgate." Don't have to drop it and raise it while hooking up. I have purchased a 2 camera system; one for the trailer and the other fits on the license plate bracket for when I'm not connected. Still not sure if I should mount the camera above or below the rear window on the camper. Response so far has been light.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:07 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Carl if you mount it under the window you will probably have views of grills, hoods and windshields. Mounting above the window you should get a view over the top of following vehicles for a better overall view depending on the camera recording parameters.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #5

Still early yet Carl for folks to post, but I remembered a camera rear window mount on a Scamp 5er, the post is a couple of years old, but maybe some of the conditions still apply... direct link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post340111
Old 09-03-2014, 04:22 AM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We mounted our camera in the lower corner of the rear window on the passenger's side. We choose this corner because it allows the rear window to fully open, At the same time it provides a good field of view.

We have recently purchased a new camera, yet to be installed.

Our new Odyssey has a rear camera near the rear door handle, about half way up. It provides an excellent field of view though it only activates when in Reverse.

We use the Scamp's rear camera in lieu of side mirrors. I would love to be able to tap into the Odyssey's display instead of adding a second display for the Scamp's camera.

One interesting aspect of the Odyssey is that it is the same width as the Scamp.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I'm using a re-purposed back-up camera. It mounts right above the license plate. Not elegant, but cheap and lets me see what's what when passing (hah!) or being passed.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

Florida
Registry
Anybody else out there with a rear view camera who can chime in on this thread?

Old 09-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
On our Scamp I had mounted the camera INSIDE looking out through the window, in the upper passenger side corner (like Norm, I wanted to be able to open the window. On our Lil Snoozy I mounted a camera above the rear entrance door. I would only recommend a hard wired system, as the wireless systems gave poor quality pictures with much static when it did work. Good Luck with what ever you decide.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #10

Florida
Wireless

I used a wireless installation on our CRV for the trailer camera. It would very occasionally burp. It seemed that a passing vehicle would steal the transmission frequency.

It was really not too much of an issue because it was rare. Unfortunately the wireless transmitter or receiver failed. Both were located inside so the failure was not due to weather.

I tested both cameras and both displays via a direct connection and they both worked well. The new display is much larger.

My intention is to mount both cameras, one on the back of the trailer and one possibly on the front of the Odyssey. The new display has a manual switch to allow you to switch between video feeds.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

Name: Terry
Trailer: 2013 Trillium 1300
California
My camera is inside the trailer at the bottom of the rear window, near the center of the trailer's rear wall. The camera image mimics the view in a rearview mirror. I am more concerned with seeing overtaking traffic than with backing the trailer. I did not need to drill holes in the trailer and the camera is more protected from damage or theft. I threaded the video cable through the existing hole for the trailer pigtail.
Terry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #12

Florida
Terry,

I don't use mine for backing up either, maybe if I was alone.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I don't have a rear facing camera yet but I've been looking into it and considering mounting locations. One thing I noticed, and this would depend on when/where you tow your trailer, is that the back of my trailer gets incredibly filthy, especially the lower half. If there was a camera mounted outside, it mostly likely wouldn't be able to provide a picture after a few hours of driving in the rail or snow or even a few minutes of dirt road travel. By contrast, my back window stays relatively clean and even when it is dirty, it's quick and easy to wipe clean. For that reason alone, I would mount a camera inside the rear-facing window.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #14

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
I don't have a rear facing camera yet but I've been looking into it and considering mounting locations. One thing I noticed, and this would depend on when/where you tow your trailer, is that the back of my trailer gets incredibly filthy, especially the lower half. If there was a camera mounted outside, it mostly likely wouldn't be able to provide a picture after a few hours of driving in the rail or snow or even a few minutes of dirt road travel. By contrast, my back window stays relatively clean and even when it is dirty, it's quick and easy to wipe clean. For that reason alone, I would mount a camera inside the rear-facing window.

I am leaning in that direction myself if I install one, for the very reasons you mention, as well as it would not be exposed to the elements and one less hole thru the fiberglass. I expect some image degradation/darkening from the window. But if others have different opinions or experiences, please keep them coming.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #15

Florida
One of the main reasons for putting our camera inside the rear windows was to protect it from water. So many of the reviews talked about water infiltration.

As to dirt I don't expect the camera lens would get any more grime than the rear window. The reality is you're not trying to read the lisence plate of the car behind you, just its presence.

The weakness of behind the window is condensation on the window.

We now have two cameras and screens to compare. One screen is larger, however both seem to have the same quality. I suspect we'll initially use the smaller one in the Odyssey just because it's easier to locate.

The camera with the smaller screen also seems to have a wider field of view. The wider field almost totally eliminates the blind spot.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #16

Carl, did you get my PM?
Old 09-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #17

Florida
Registry
Donna,
I got the measurements but not the pictures. I left my email address on your Escape Profile Page (thought I was PM-ing you but I messed up). I'm going to send you my email by PM right away here on FGRV.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I have purchased a 2 camera system; one for the trailer and the other fits on the license plate bracket for when I'm not connected.
I'd be interested in knowing what system you purchased. 2 cameras caught my attention.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #19

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
I put my camera (rear view safety systems, $200 for the kit) outside above the rear door of the Snoozy. I see no point in not having it as high as possible. We are very happy with it after two winters and probably 25,000 miles of towing.

It works, but poor image quality, in the rain. Water on the lens blurs the optics. Never gets dirty enough to affect the image.

Very poor image quality at night. Headlights at all close just cause lens flare. We try not to get caught towing after dark anyway.

I just towed a 7' wide boat 1300 miles using strap on extension mirrors. OK but I like the rear view camera a lot better.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #20

Florida
Denny,

We put our camera inside because rain and electronics don't mix as well as lens issues.

As well our camera/monitor costs were each less than $50, probably near the cost of a good set of mirrors. I agree it's definitely better than extended mirrors, providing more information.

We haven't used ours at night, we have never towed in the dark.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16