Rear view mirrors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
Val,

Just in case you read my idea of using a rear view camera to back up. I have to say it isn't very satisfactory as you simply see the area behind you and do not get a view of the trailer itself in relation to obstacles. It's also very disorienting, to me anyhow.

I'm looking around for extended mirrors now too.

Good luck
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #22

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Okay, here's the UTM mirror on the Fronty (disregard the fact that the truck is badly in need of a wash)

Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	9043

They seem to fit very well (better than on the old vehicle), I'm impressed!
I have the 3m rock guard film on the truck (including the mirrors) so I'm not worried on mine about any scratching on the back side of the mirrors, the only place I'd be concerned is right where the plastic clips clip on. Maybe I can put some type of thin, peel and stick padding onto the clips...
Attached Thumbnails
back.jpg  
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #23

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Quote:
Okay, here's the UTM mirror on the Fronty (disregard the fact that the truck is badly in need of a wash)

Attachment 9043

They seem to fit very well (better than on the old vehicle), I'm impressed!
I have the 3m rock guard film on the truck (including the mirrors) so I'm not worried on mine about any scratching on the back side of the mirrors, the only place I'd be concerned is right where the plastic clips clip on. Maybe I can put some type of thin, peel and stick padding onto the clips...
Those look pretty darn good! Yeah, a little stick on padding seems like a great idea. Just went to your link... so that link goes to the one you ordered and should fit the Frontier?
Thanks!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
Those look pretty darn good! Yeah, a little stick on padding seems like a great idea. Just went to your link... so that link goes to the one you ordered and should fit the Frontier?
Thanks!
The UTM (Universal Towing Mirror) is supposed to fit any vehicle, they are all standard, only one model. There is no right/left side, they are completely reversible, either side. So just order 2 the same and you're set. I wish Nissan offerred a OEM option for towing mirror, maybe someday.

Enjoy your US pricing on these, mine were $60/each! 4 years ago here in Canada, I see they are a lot less on US websites!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Enjoy your US pricing on these, mine were $60/each! 4 years ago here in Canada, I see they are a lot less on US websites!
Cool, thanks. Well, I guess I have to save on something, because in terms of the cost of getting our trailer here from Canada, being in the U.S. doesn't work in my favor!
Old 07-23-2007, 04:45 PM   #26

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
you can order an additional clip from cipa or utm, that will give a better range of attaching, I use these mirrors on my 1995 lumina, and they have never left a mark
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:13 PM   #27

Quote:
you can order an additional clip from cipa or utm, that will give a better range of attaching, I use these mirrors on my 1995 lumina, and they have never left a mark
Quick question: how do these CIPA Universal Towing Mirrors adjust? I saw a cheaper set that had a hinge behind the mirror, but these do not look adjustable. Please advise. I am going to order today. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Hi Val,

The CIPA UTM adjusts manually, you just push on either side of the mirror. I found a convex mirror for the right side that I really like. It's rectangular and a little larger than the UTM. It is self-sticking. I got it at a Car-Quest store. Because I had so far to go, I used bungee cords on mine. Doesn't look great, but they were steady and didn't fall off.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #29

Registry
All I can say is they didn't fall off! My original mirrors are tapered and the forward surface quite curved. It was not a great fit, but it did work. The convex mirror is rectangular and about 4 X 5.5".
Attached Thumbnails
bungee.jpg   convex.jpg  

Old 07-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #30

Cool! Thanks for posting photos with your reply, Elaine and Bob--those really help! I will look for some soft rubber straps and/or soft, non-scratching bungees to use with the mirror. I think I saw some at Pep Boys Auto when I went in for a locking gas cap (buy a new truck and still have to spring for a locking gas cap?!)

I like that additional convex mirror you added, Bob, and will see if I can find one around here. Say...looks like you have somthing draped between the UTM and the back of your truck mirror...what is that?

Woohoo... getting there! Man, all the accessories start to add up, don't they? And I am sure when we take possession of the tt, we will have to try to control ourselves, because we love to renovate.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #31

Registry
Just a piece cut from some of that non-slip stuff. The little non-slip patches that come with the CIPA UTM don't work very well. Unfortunately, they do slip!
Old 07-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Just a piece cut from some of that non-slip stuff. The little non-slip patches that come with the CIPA UTM don't work very well. Unfortunately, they do slip!
Thanks, Bob. I have some of that saved from a kitchen cabinet project and some thicker kind that goes under carpet...one or the other should work great.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:14 AM   #33

Registry
Here's another towing mirror I just found at Kragens Auto for $30. It is labelled K source and Fit system, made in Taiwan. I haven't had a chance to test it, but it might be better for the left side (bigger than the CIPA UTM) and I don't have to point my regular mirror downward to install it, like I do with the CIPA.
Attached Thumbnails
kmir.jpg   kmirf.jpg  

Old 07-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #34

Trailer: 1987 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I previously had the UTM on my Toyota Sienna with our Bigfoot B17 trailer and they worked very well. However there was a minor problem with the adjustable rubber feet leaving a mark on the black plastic of the Sienna mirrors. With the black plastic mirror, it was not too much of a problem.

We now have upgraded to a Bigfoot 5th wheel and a new 2007 Nissan Frontier LE pickup with painted side mirrors. I did not want to use the UTM on the painted surface and purchased the ratchet door mirrors. I have only used them for a short trip and do not have any long travels experience. So far they seem to do the job well. All are available at Camping World. Hope that helps.

Chris
Maureen M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:25 PM   #35

Woops, well we already ordered the UTM mirrors, so I will wrap those little black rubber feet in something less likely to leave a mark on our chrome-painted mirrors. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #36

UPDATE on the CIPA Universal Towing Mirrors purchased for our trip to fetch our trailer:

They are boxed back up waiting to be sent back via UPS--didn't work with our 2007 Frontier mirrors at all. Neither of the two styles of clips fit securely over the edges of the side mirrors and both prevented us from adjusting our truck's side mirrors , the little black adhesive CIPA pads came off within no time, and despite frequent stops to readjust and tighten them, one finally fell off--we were grateful it didn't damage the truck door when it fell, though the tow mirror's glass cracked. I guess each car model is very individual in terms of the shape of its side mirrors, so it's not easy to make a truly "universal" tow mirror, but we found the straps and clips and little pads to be very cumbersome to use anyway. We removed both mirrors and headed to the nearest Camping World to be found along our trip. There we found two new tow mirrors that look just like the ones Bob B posted about. These were only $15 each, and fit snugly and securely with the thick rubber straps provided. Since we will always remove them when not towing, it will take a while for the rubber to deteriorate. They didn't budge at all during the rest of the journey... will try to take a look at what brand they are for others with similarly shaped side mirrors as ours. It all worked out in the end and to their credit, RV Wholesalers didn't give me any trouble about returning them for credit--incidentally, RV Wholesalers had the $399 price on the Equalizer wdh and sway, which really made the towing experience a good one. And with the deep discounts they have on the trailer brands that they do carry, I sure wish they sold Bigfoots...but, alas, they sell no glass.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #37

Registry
Val,

So you broke one mirror and were still able to return them for full credit. I'm impressed!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #38

Hi Bob,

My feeling is that if CIPA is a proactive company, then when they get returns of their products from their distributors, along with details from customers on what didn't work about their product, then they will use that information to improve their products. Since we followed their instructions and the product did not perform as advertised and it is under warranty, then I believe that I have a right to expect a refund or that the problem be corrected. That's just good business sense and customer service. Now if consumers are negligent and don't follow instructions and then try to return something that they damaged, then that's a different story. But I just explained exactly what happened and asked if they would accept both, including the broken one for return, since we had followed all instructions and hadn't been careless in any way. The CIPA mirrors are marketed as "universal," but really they don't fit every vehicle mirror, so I sent my constructive feedback in with my return, because based on our experience, I don't feel that they are very well designed tow mirrors compared to the less expensive pair that we picked up.

Val
Old 08-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #39

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have the ones Bob posted about.

I have no qualms with the way they work, or with quality.

They just don't add much to the party.

Putting convex stick ons on my regular mirros does the same thing, and are zero maintenance... so far.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #40

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Hmmm... is there a guarantee that they fit? If there is, and they don't, they should still be returnable even after flying down the highway!
Quote:
So you broke one mirror and were still able to return them for full credit. I'm impressed!
I suggested it, but I wouldn't have bet it could be done, so I'm impressed, too!

Score one for CIPA as a business ... if not for their mirrors.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote