Rear view mirrors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1974
I used to pull my Trill with a GM minivan. With this I had extended rear view mirrors that slipped over my regular mirrors.
I am now driving a Volvo V70 wagon and cannot find any extended mirrors that fit in any way.

Anybody got any ideas?
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:51 PM   #2

I used to pull my Trill with a GM minivan. With this I had extended rear view mirrors that slipped over my regular mirrors.
I am now driving a Volvo V70 wagon and cannot find any extended mirrors that fit in any way.

Anybody got any ideas?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I use the clip ons and there are many types of them.

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/prodselect.as...142&CID=338

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-mirr...p%20On%20Towing

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-72787...r/dp/B0008FUH3M
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #4

I've tried that style but unfortunately the Volvo fender has a lining that won't allow the bottom hook to grab.
Thanks anyway.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Check out CIPA here.
They have all kinds of towing mirrors.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #6

Wow!
Thanks Byron!
Old 07-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Quote:

Anybody got any ideas?
I have left and right Reese mirrors. I had to grind away a little part of part of the lower hooks so that my Tacoma power mirrors would not conflict. I tried the driver side first and it may be a little weaker to the wind, it is holding fast. Since they don't sell a passenger side, I turned the second one upside down and ground the plastic like the first one. If the straps are adjusted just right, they stay good in the wind at least for the last 1000 miles.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel
I've gone with a wireless remote rear camera. I'll have it hooked up before the weekend, it's really pretty simple. It is powered from the trailer lights when the truck is hooked on and you plug the receiver into your cigarette lighter and it sits on your dash. This should give me a full view of what is behind me while towing and more usefully..while backing up.
scott fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
"I have left and right Reese mirrors. I had to grind away a little part"

I have a Taccoma and use the same mirror. They worked well to Texas and back (3500 miles) without any problem.
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:27 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:

Anybody got any ideas?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HMMMM though not fimiliar with the Volvo I would think that what I have may fit. I just got from an RV store a cheap set of mirrors that had 2 arms, top and bottom that adjusted to any conformation and att he end of the arms it had little tabs that hooked where auto mirror was and then it had 2 adjustable rubber straps that went around the back of auto mirror and hooked to top and bottom tabs to hold it tight to auto mirror.
They were inexpensive and they are on thier 2nd season with no signs of ware.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:08 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('ye ole bucket')
I got these when I couldnt find any to fit my Suzuki Grand Vitarga when I was pulling my 13..

Click image for larger version

Name:	rearview_mirror.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	8918
Christine V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Ian,

Some folks like the McKesh towing mirrors, which are attached to the door by straps with a rachet mechanism. I bought CIPA Universal towing mirrors for my Jeep and found that the curved front surface didn't want to hold the adjustable feet well. I had to use bungie cords to make them stable.

The ones Gerry mentioned are worth a try. Spending more money on towing mirrors is not necessarily a good strategy, at least for the universal varieties.

Towing mirrors are one of the best arguments for buying a pickup truck to tow your trailer! Some of the best towing mirrors are only made for Ford or GM pickups. Good luck, hope you find something satisfactory.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #13

Name: Lex
Trailer: BIOD
Drenyhe
Registry
Quote:

Anybody got any ideas?
These will fit and are very good. (Top seller in the Netherlands)
http://www.repusel.com/
Attached Thumbnails
3002_2.jpg  
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:29 AM   #14

Trailer: 73 13 ft Boler / 2004 Toyota Corolla
Send a message via MSN to Robin H

Name:   trailer_towing_mirror_universal.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  7.9 KB
I purchased the only universal towing mirror I could find. Found it at Canadian Tire and it was $60. A little pricey in my opinion but of course I have left it until the last possible moment. Definately keeping the box incase it does not work out on my first trip (can always return unless it goes flying down the hwy
Robin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #15

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....my experience with MOST add on mirrors is that they most all seem to viberate/work loose at highway speeds. For our purposes we have found the McKesh mirrors to be about the best. These are the kind that slip over the window ledge and are attached with web/straps to the bottom of the doors and are really adjustable...
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Another approach would be to investigate an auto "recycling" (more PC than junk) yard, get the biggest/best mirrors you can find and have them permanently mounted on the Volvo. I'm sure that you could find someone to do a really professional job.

I have McKesh web on door type mirrors and they work great. They don't seem to be as subject to vibration as the simple clip-on type. That said, I always have worries that they will "walk off" when I park, so I find myself removing and replacing them frequently when parking for any length of time.
Judy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I use the CIPA ones (see Below) on my 4Runner. THe work just fine, never vibrate loose. Two tricks.. cross the straps, and then tighten the mirrors in place. Remove the mirror, tigten each strap one more notcxh, and then re-mount the mirror. Work like a charm. Key is to remove them at the end of each day, so that the rubber doesn't age as quiclky.

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail...142&CID=338

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail...2&CID=338ic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:56 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...Definately keeping the box incase it does not work out on my first trip (can always return unless it goes flying down the hwy
Hmmm... is there a guarantee that they fit? If there is, and they don't, they should still be returnable even after flying down the highway!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Wow, again a number of options and which one is best depends on the planned usage, etc.

I need some removable tow mirrors asap for our upcoming trip to Canada to get our TT. I have attached 2 photos of my truck's driver side mirror (passenger side is the same) to show the style/shape. My main concerns are that the tow mirrors be secure when installed and do not damage the truck's paint or finish. And cost... all these additional components are starting to add up!

Those McKesh mirrors look large and complicated, and seem much more expensive than the CIPA ones, but if they are the best removables, then I will get them... how long do they take to install and remove? Are there any others without the stabilizer bar that are equally as good and do not mar the truck's finish--the CIPA clip-on ones look scary in that regard! They do not scratch the paint?

Thanks!

Val
Attached Images

V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #20

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
Wow, again a number of options and which one is best depends on the planned usage, etc.

I need some removable tow mirrors asap for our upcoming trip to Canada to get our TT. I have attached 2 photos of my truck's driver side mirror (passenger side is the same) to show the style/shape. My main concerns are that the tow mirrors be secure when installed and do not damage the truck's paint or finish. And cost... all these additional components are starting to add up!

Those McKesh mirrors look large and complicated, and seem much more expensive than the CIPA ones, but if they are the best removables, then I will get them... how long do they take to install and remove? Are there any others without the stabilizer bar that are equally as good and do not mar the truck's finish--the CIPA clip-on ones look scary in that regard! They do not scratch the paint?

Thanks!

Val
Hi Val,

On my old vehicle I used the UTM mirrors and found them to be quite stable. That vehicle had black plastic casing for the mirrors, so I didn't worry much about if it marred, but I don't think it did any significant damage as I recall. I don't know if they will fit the Frontier mirrors or if they will potentially scratch the paint. Your mirrors have the chrome back which might perform better over time than mine which are all body coloured. The way these mirrors install, I would just be concerned about where the clips attach for marring, there are rubber pads on the 'feet'.
I am going to go try them this afternoon and will let you know how they fit!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote