Rear window replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
I replaced the rear window plexiglass and rubber gasket do to leakage.After 20 years the gasket had some serious cracks on the 4 radius corners and the joint where the 2 ends meet had seperated. Fitting the gasket and plexi was not a problem at all. The locking strip was a real chore, a lot of soapy water and about 3 hrs. but it can be done. The only tools were a putty knife and screw driver and clear lexel caulk for the joint.
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Good job! That is a project I wouldn't want to tackle.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Coat your rubber or plastic pieces with ArmorAll and it will go togtether real easy. It softens and lubercates the rubber enough to make the pieces fit easier. When finished wipe it down.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Quote:
I replaced the rear window plexiglass and rubber gasket do to leakage.After 20 years the gasket had some serious cracks on the 4 radius corners and the joint where the 2 ends meet had seperated. Fitting the gasket and plexi was not a problem at all. The locking strip was a real chore, a lot of soapy water and about 3 hrs. but it can be done. The only tools were a putty knife and screw driver and clear lexel caulk for the joint.

How I wish I could do this myself- I bought new windows and gaskets from Scamp, I gave it about an hour try before I gave up and decided I would have to take it somewhere to get them put in. For me, that was a real traumatic decision because I don't like to think there is anything I can't do!

Maybe I will give it another try... Please tell me- did you put the gasket on the window and then the whole thing on the trailer, or did you put the gasket on the trailer first and then the window? Or is there another alternative?
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 87 Scamp 13 ft
Install the rubber into the window opening first.I plan on doing the front window soon, maybe i will try the ArmorAll.
JOE DRISSEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Did you run a piece of string around the gasket (ala windshield install) and use that to pull the gasket up over the top of the plexi
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:52 PM   #7

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

When I reinstalled the windows in my Love Bug, I took it to a glass shop to see about having them do it. The guy didn't want anything to do with the job. Instead, he loaned me a couple of tools to do it myself. It took about 1 1/2 hrs for my buddy and I to do both windows. Not easy, but possible.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:02 AM   #8

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
If you use the string method, you have to place the gasket on the window glass first.

Then you put the string in the groove that will go over the window opening.

Then you set the window into the opening getting the bottom of the opening into the groove of the rubber and as far up the sides as possible.

Then you use the string to pull the rubber over the opening edge. It is almost essential to have an assistant on the outside pushing in as this is done.

A little soapy water in a spray bottle can lube things where needed and make the job much easier. WD40 also works as does silicone spray. However these can have downsides later on.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
If you use the string method, you have to place the gasket on the window glass first.

Then you put the string in the groove that will go over the window opening.

Then you set the window into the opening getting the bottom of the opening into the groove of the rubber and as far up the sides as possible.

Then you use the string to pull the rubber over the opening edge. It is almost essential to have an assistant on the outside pushing in as this is done.

A little soapy water in a spray bottle can lube things where needed and make the job much easier. WD40 also works as does silicone spray. However these can have downsides later on.
Interesting. Are you installing the window from the outside - in or from the inside working the gasket to the out side ?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #10

Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
BOY I KNOW THE FEELING WE TOOK OUR EMERGENCY WINDOW OUT OF OUR 1985 UHAUL AND IT HAD THE LOCKING RUBBER. WE WEREN'T QUITE SURE WHAT WE WERE DOING BUT GOT IT BACK IN, HAD A REAL HARD TIME FINDING THE RUBBER REPLACEMENT. 3 HRS LATER AND KY AND A SCREW DRIVER IT WENT IN BUT YEP YOU GUESSED IT THEY LEAKED! SO OUT THEY CAME AGAIN BUT THIS TIME WE GOT A TOOL FROM A AUTO PARTS STORE THEAT IS MADE FOR THAT PURPOSE BOY IT MADE IT SO EASY AND 1/2 HR LATER WE WERE DONE, BIG DIFFERENCE. ANY GOOD AUTO PARTS STORE SHOULD HAVE IT. MAGGIE
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #11

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Quote:
BOY I KNOW THE FEELING WE TOOK OUR EMERGENCY WINDOW OUT OF OUR 1985 UHAUL AND IT HAD THE LOCKING RUBBER. WE WEREN'T QUITE SURE WHAT WE WERE DOING BUT GOT IT BACK IN, HAD A REAL HARD TIME FINDING THE RUBBER REPLACEMENT. 3 HRS LATER AND KY AND A SCREW DRIVER IT WENT IN BUT YEP YOU GUESSED IT THEY LEAKED! SO OUT THEY CAME AGAIN BUT THIS TIME WE GOT A TOOL FROM A AUTO PARTS STORE THEAT IS MADE FOR THAT PURPOSE BOY IT MADE IT SO EASY AND 1/2 HR LATER WE WERE DONE, BIG DIFFERENCE. ANY GOOD AUTO PARTS STORE SHOULD HAVE IT. MAGGIE

What is this tool called, or at least what does it look like so I can ask??
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
What is this tool called, or at least what does it look like so I can ask??
Might be the one shown in the middle of this page that looks like this

Name:   rt_752.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  20.2 KB
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:48 AM   #13

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Interesting. Are you installing the window from the outside - in or from the inside working the gasket to the out side ?
It works either way, however usually it is better to install from the outside working the gasket inside.

One reason is the gasket has not been hardened as much by sun and weather on the inside, so is more pliable and easy to work.

Another reason is that sometimes the flange of the gasket is made deeper on the outside than the inside. (This is only sometimes the case.) The side with less flange depth is easier to poke and stretch through.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:53 PM   #14

Trailer: R-pod (by Forest River)
[quote]
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

DON'T KNOW WHY TWO CAME THROUGH BUT THAT IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE. YOU JUST HAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU USE THE TIP THAT IS CLOSEST TO THE KEY SIZE.. THE OTHER THING IS PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE DIRESTIONS ON THE BACK YOU ALWAY WORK DOWN ON THE SEAL. ALSO MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE A SEALER IN A TUBE AROUNDUNDER THE PART TOUCHING THE WINDOW ON THE INSIDE.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote