reattaching sliding window "edge" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #1

Name: Deb
Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot B19
British Columbia
reattaching sliding window "edge"

The metal edging that has the locking mechanism on my Bigfoot kitchen window popped off yesterday. The track is a bit dirty and cleaning those out on all of the windows was next on my final clean-up list this week. Too late for this one - was a bit stiff and the trim popped off as I was sliding the window open.

I don't think it will be a huge job to clean up the edge of the glass and the track in the trim piece. But what kind of adhesive would have been used in the first place & would you use to put that back on?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4326.jpg   IMG_4327.jpg  

Deb Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:22 PM   #2

Name: Diane
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Wisconsin
Following this thread closely, as the same thing happened to the window above the stove in our Scamp 13.
sunnyone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:23 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
British Columbia
Just finished this...

My 17' Bigfoot DLX had 3 metal slide handles loose-ish when I bought the unit last Sept, and one was still really solid. One finally came off and I pulled the other two off. The glue gets sun-baked and eventually fails. So I did the usual research routine and found a glue that outperformed others in a comparison test for sticking to glass (and metal). That product was E6000 in a squeeze tube, which was readily available locally. I cleaned the glass edges and scraped out what I could in the metal handle channels, glued them up, let it set for a few days, and it did the trick (at least for the last few weeks. A little messy to work with, but you can remove squeeze out with a acetone or a scraper. I think it'll hold up well.
Good luck!

Bob T.
B.C.
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
My 17' Bigfoot DLX had 3 metal slide handles loose-ish when I bought the unit last Sept, and one was still really solid. One finally came off and I pulled the other two off. The glue gets sun-baked and eventually fails. So I did the usual research routine and found a glue that outperformed others in a comparison test for sticking to glass (and metal). That product was E6000 in a squeeze tube, which was readily available locally. I cleaned the glass edges and scraped out what I could in the metal handle channels, glued them up, let it set for a few days, and it did the trick (at least for the last few weeks. A little messy to work with, but you can remove squeeze out with a acetone or a scraper. I think it'll hold up well.
Good luck!

Bob T.
B.C.
Thank you Bob! I've been doing the same research, but hadn't found the E6000 yet. I will try to track some down. I did get the channel of the trim piece reasonably well cleaned out - used my dremel tool and a little burr bit that came with the accessory kit.

Were you able to do the repair without having to remove the entire window assembly? I haven't got to that point yet. I'm on my way out on Monday, so I might hold off on the repair until I get back in August. I have 3 other windows that are working very nicely, and the one in the kitchen isn't essential at this point.

Thank you again

And just checked, Home Depot has a tonne of it in stock. I think I will be heading down that way today or tomorrow!
Old 07-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #5

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Adhesive to reattach sliding window edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Mac View Post
The metal edging that has the locking mechanism on my Bigfoot kitchen window popped off yesterday. The track is a bit dirty and cleaning those out on all of the windows was next on my final clean-up list this week. Too late for this one - was a bit stiff and the trim popped off as I was sliding the window open.

I don't think it will be a huge job to clean up the edge of the glass and the track in the trim piece. But what kind of adhesive would have been used in the first place & would you use to put that back on?

Thanks.
I had the same problem several years ago with one window in my Bigfoot. I contacted the manufacturer, Sunview Window Industries in BC, and below is their answer:

“ You can use the RTV or urethane [windshield adhesive], either will work.

Ensure you thoroughly clean / scrape off the old adhesive from both glass and aluminum channel prior to installing new. Tape the bar into place, let it cure for a few days & you should be set.”

Urethane was only available in large tubes for caulk guns, so I went with the RTV which is available in squeeze tubes. I cleaned off the window edge and the slot of the detached end piece (scraped off old adhesive) and also cleaned out the window slide slots.

After gluing, taping, and waiting a few days. I took off the tape and tried it; it’s been working fine. After everything thing was set I sprayed the slide with dry WD-40 lubricant to make for smooth action and to try to keep dust from accumulating in the slide, at least for a while.

Hope this helps.
Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:32 AM   #6

British Columbia
Thanks Josh. Nice that you heard straight from the horse’s mouth, so to speak. Working on getting the rest of the old adhesive out of the frame. Got a lot off of the window already, but more togo yet.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:45 PM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
British Columbia
Yah, what would we do without dremels
Like Josh said, and I forgot to mention, clean the track well and lube it. I used a light coating of silicon grease (squeeze tube version) because its inert and not too messy (might attract dust/grit over time, but just clean and regrease the track once a year for good measure).
I was able to do the job with the windows still installed. I put a small thin piece of wood propped against the 'fix' while it set up, but you could also use tape.
Importantly, you don't want the small amount of glue that will want to seep out the bottom of the handle onto the track....just wedge in some tissue or paper towel at that location, and you won't have an issue later. Let it set up several days because you don't want to have to start over.

Bob T.
1989, BF 17 DLX
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #8

British Columbia
Thanks Bob. It looked like I could do the job without taking out the window, but nice to know that it's been done. That's a job I think I'll leave until I get back from my trip. Heading out Monday for a month, so things higher on the list than that. Cheers!