Rebuild--rear-ended Uhaul CT13 - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2015, 07:15 AM   #101

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
One more chunk done, in the weekend after Christmas. [but first, can I upload a few photos?] Tried repeatedly... no go.

Before I reinstalled the inner shell, I glued some 1/4" polystyrene insulation on the semi-flat area surrounding the rear seating area.... thinking it'd have a higher R-value than the Reflectix, which I will figure to add in later.

Once that was done, I removed the line of screws that I'd installed previously to hold the plastic strips in place that span the cut-line... the glue on them long-since set up and holding well. Then I spread adhesive on the remaining 1/2 of the plastic strip and set 1/2 of the back shell in... screwed it to the plastic strip, and glued in the other 1/2 of the back shell... and glued the inner shell to the outer shell at the rear window opening, and clamped that together. [with boards added to the clamps, so that the surface the back window mounts to will hopefully "set up" nice and flat]

Probably be a few weeks before I return to the work--then I'll start bevelling the seams that I just glued, and add some f/g matte & resin to the inside face of things--just because I don't want to trust the adhesive to be a forever-type repair. Once the f/g is set up, I'll grind it down to slightly below the surface of the surrounding fiberglass and finish up the filling with regular auto-filler. Then I can primer it, block the primer, and try out that enamel color blend I messed with last summer.

All for now... best wishes for the new year......... Gary
Old 12-28-2015, 11:45 AM   #102

Iowa
For what it's worth... I posted this same basic info on the U-Haul Facebook site, so those of you with a foot in both U-Haul worlds can see the pictures over there. [I still assume I'll be able to upload images again once the holidays & school vacations are past, and the load on the local cell tower diminishes.]
Old 12-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #103

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good move with the extra matte & FG Gary
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:57 PM   #104

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Gary's pix: Well, at least one. I am at a campground, so bandwidth is not great.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Gary 2.jpg  
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #105

Registry
The last image was Gary's second one. Here is the first one. Maybe one at a time will get them all. CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Gary 1.jpg  
Old 12-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #106

Registry
Can't get the third one to work. Not going to resize it right now. I am off to the pool.

CindyL
Old 12-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #107

Iowa
Thanks a million, Cindy! 2 out of 3's plenty good... get back to enjoying your camping!

Gary
Old 01-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #108

Iowa
Got a little more work done on the camper last night. I wanted to get the vertical, center flanges of the inside shell bonded to the other shell... and then the edges where I cut out the inner panels around the spare well bonded to the spare well. The vertical center flanges wanted to flare forward unevenly, so I drilled a 1/8" hole into the flange where the outer shell halves meet, and used a screw through a fender washer to draw them close to the outside shell. [I put a rubber washer between inner and outer shells, to leave a modest gap for the f/g paste to be squeezed into.]

I mixed up 8oz of resin & catalyst. Before adding the Cabosil to thicken it up to a dense paste, I used a brush to just "prime" the edges of what I was joining--to wet them good with straight resin. [I'd already scuffed them thoroughly with coarse sandpaper.] Then thickened up the resin with the Cabosil until the "peaks" from stirring it in the cup would just stay as they were--not slumping down or "flowing". Put the paste into a sandwich baggie... cut one corner off, about enough for my little finger to poke through... squeezed a thick ribben of the paste all along the seams... smoothed and/or radiused it with body filler spreaders, and smoothed a little further with a cheap brush lightly dragged along the seams.

And then before coming into the house, put a heat lamp [500W bulb] 3-4' back from the outside of the camper, so as to warm the area slightly more than the shop was. [It's pretty cool out this way just now---0deg F as I'm typing this up, with a good breeze to boot.]

All for now. I'll try adding pictures again... if it doesn't work, they'll be over on the U-Haul Facebook site shortly.

Gary
Old 01-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #109

Registry
Here is one of Gary's pix. It is the most important one. I can't get the second one to upload. I will take a screen shot and see if that version uploads.

Cindy
Attached Thumbnails
Gary 1.jpg  
Old 01-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #110

Iowa
Thanks, Cindy! You're a blessing once again.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #111

Registry
I cannot get the second one to upload, Gary. I even reduced it to 1 inch to make it smaller. Next time, I will make all images into one. Since I only seem to get one at a time to work, maybe that is the answer.

I would appreciate a moderator here explaining what we need to do to make this work. I flipping teach technology and am getting frustrated here.

CindyL
Old 01-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #112

Iowa
Cindy,
Thanks again for trying... & helping. I'm hardly a "techie", but I feel like I've tried several things to work with this problem, with no success.
I know we have a mediocre internet link where we live, speed/volume-wise, but I don't have any trouble uploading pics to the Facebook site, or to the Anglia forum I participate on. I'm inclined to think something's changed with the FGRV site that could explain this....... waiting until today to try posting [young people back in school--theoretically better service for us] didn't make any difference either.
When I check FGRV for new postings, I often just go to "Manufacturers" and select "U-Haul" from the drop down menu. I PM'd the "Tech Admin" shown at the top of the U-Haul listings page a few days ago... no response just yet.

Note: I'm not trying to "blame" anyone in particular... or this site in general. I've gotten any number of good ideas here, and general encouragement as well. If there's something I need to do on my end of things, I'll sure give it a try.
Gary
Old 01-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #113

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Just read through your thread Gary. Really enjoyed your simple straight forward methods of repair and your "inventiveness" for the spare tire.
Looking forward to seeing it in paint.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #114

Iowa
Thanks, Fred,
I've been trying to "keep it real"... plus, I'm not really a professional anyway, so no point in making my efforts sound like rocket science.
Nowadays I am getting closer to paint, and that is exciting. I think I have a paint mix that'll come close to the original gel-coat color the U-Haul's were "born with"... be interesting to see how well that works.

It'll be a little bass-ackwards, but I think I'll put off the painting till closer to spring, and work on window seals & channel re-do's before the painting of the whole exterior skin. [I will probably paint the rear 1/3 of the interior once the repairs are done---I guess that'll tell me how well the paint matches. And whether I can transition smoothly from new paint to old gel-coat.]

Meanwhile, back to the shop... gotta make up for taking the afternoon off for reviewing retirement cottage plans, and getting new glasses!
Gary
Old 01-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #115

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I cannot get the second one to upload, Gary. I even reduced it to 1 inch to make it smaller. Next time, I will make all images into one. Since I only seem to get one at a time to work, maybe that is the answer.

I would appreciate a moderator here explaining what we need to do to make this work. I flipping teach technology and am getting frustrated here.

CindyL
This one?
Attached Thumbnails
RearEnd.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #116

Registry
Yes, Donna, thanks.

I fail to understand why it is not possible to upload 2 images. I find it frustrating. Whatever limits are being put on the upload of Gary's images is causing the loss of a lot of really good information

CindyL
Old 01-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #117

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't know Cindy. I'm still using the default skin and I can upload multiple images:
Attached Thumbnails
ManageAttachments.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #118

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I thought there was an issue with trying to upload multiple images from an iPhone or iPad. As in, you can't.
I mail pix from iPhone to my MacBook, edit them there and then post up to four at a time.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:35 AM   #119

Registry
Donna,

I use that too, and one of Gary's images will upload, but the second one will not.

Glenn, I was editing Gary's image too on my Mac too. Next time, I am going to take them into Graphic Converter first, see if I can make them into a different format, different size, and if need be, into one image.

Cindy
Old 01-13-2016, 07:04 AM   #120

Iowa
Well.........
All this discussion got me to wondering if I could bring a file into Corel PhotoPaint and save it into a different format. Did that just now--changing from jpg to Windows Bitmap. And it seemed to work--at least now it didn't "fail to upload".

This was a goofy shot I took after filling in the seams/corners... went back in the camper to turn off the light I had inside, and when I did that, the heat lamp from outside lit up the fiberglass in a striking way.....
Gary

Hmmm... when I did a "preview" just now, I see an "attachment", but no image per se........... guess I'll just "submit", and see what I got.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 160111 InnerPanelRepair 03b.BMP (369.4 KB, 34 views)

Tags
uhaul