Recommendations for Ceramic Heaters - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I'll agree that the quiet oil filled heaters are an excellent way to go (except for the slow warm up), the challenge is to find one sized for our little campers. The one I have for the house is 1500 watts and four times the physical size of the ceramic heater. So if anyone has a good suggestion for a smaller oil filled heater, speak up.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
if anyone has a good suggestion for a smaller oil filled heater, speak up.

Google "oil-filled 800 watt heater"
I have one. It's still four times the size of my electric cube heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 1.45.46 PM.png  
Old 09-11-2020, 04:45 PM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The original Pelonis heaters worked really well .
The newer models not so much . It seems that in an attempt to lower the price point they lowered the quality
A friend of ours had the old style Pelonis heater that lasted over 20 years
When he bought a replacement Pelonis it did not work as well as the old one and failed after 2 years .
I had two of the originals. I have one of them to a friend who had a small greenhouse and needed to add heat on chilly nights. The second survived an Aliner, a Scamp, and one year of an Escape. I went to adjust it one night and the control knob was loose. It was basically a knob with a plastic shaft with a half-moon recess on the bottom that fit on and operated the internal mechanism. While I could adjust the temperature with needle nose pliers, it wasn’t convenient. I could say it “broke my heart” because the original Pelonis was the best quartz heater I have ever used. The one I now use is OK, but it is definitely not as good.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #24
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
I saw some small oil ones on Amazon for around $60-70. The are taller but not much more floor space than a fan one. I have a dog and a cat so I like that the fan isn’t blowing in their faces and that it’s quiet.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot has heaters
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:01 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
New York
I use 3 heated floor mats. Silent and you get a warm floor to walk on.
Stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #27

Can someone explain what is so great about ceramic heaters?
Old 09-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #28

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Stevieboy , please note make and model of your heated floor mats. I have not encountered these. 12v or 120v?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:33 PM   #29

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Cheap, small, efficient, not too loud, safe.. and this.. shamelessly stolen from the web:

One of the many benefits of using a ceramic heater is that it provides a constant source of heat but doesn’t get hot enough to pose a fire hazard or burn risk. Since the heating elements in a ceramic heater are completely surrounded by the ceramic parts, this heater is safer than some other types that can produce sparks or other safety hazards if the heating elements fail.

These kinds of heaters provide a lot of heat for their size and are ideal for smaller areas, like offices or dens or to provide extra heating in colder areas. You can also use these heaters in front of windows to reduce draughts, which can help keep an entire room warmer during the winter.

Most ceramic heaters can be set to two different temperatures so you can regulate how much heat your unit emits. This option is very affordable and is a great choice if you are looking for something to supplement your main source of heating or to heat up a smaller room.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #30

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Darwin, I’m not sure anyone said they were great. Some people love InstaPots, others wouldn’t have them. Some people smoke and think cigars are great. Some people think it is great to put rope lights around their campsite and leave them on all night long. Some people drink coffee daily. That doesn’t mean coffee is great because some people drink tea. I use a quartz heater because I am on campground utility hookups more often than I boondock. I don’t have to use propane I paid for which can be used elsewhere when I can use electricity I am paying for and it is less noisy than the furnace. That doesn’t make it great; it just makes it useful under certain conditions. What is so great about a jack? You may not think it great until you need it. Some people think Facebook is the greatest thing since sliced bread; I do not use any social media and I never will. If you find something beneficial, it is great item for you. If you don’t use that type of item, then you wouldn’t think of it as great. And even though I am responding to your question, I have to wonder why you would even bother to ask such a question.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #31

I made a mistake by asking why ceramic heaters are great.
I have a couple and find that I prefer a non fan heating element type of heater with a thermostat better.

Anyway, Thank you both for your replys.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #32

North Carolina
Quote:
I have a couple and find that I prefer a non fan heating element type of heater with a thermostat better....
I am no fan of the fan either
What heater did you use at the Navy Patuxent River Camp? As I mentioned above.. I like the oil filler heaters except that most are large and all are slow to warm up the camper.

Oh yea, add one plus for the fan driven ceramic heater.. it warms up the space quickly.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Some people think Facebook is the greatest thing since sliced bread; I do not use any social media and I never will.
Ummmm. This forum is social media.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:23 AM   #34

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Ummmm. This forum is social media.
My mistake in not being specific enough in my statement. I will not use social media that is not responsible enough to monitor content. Any “forum” that will remove false or hateful content I do not find objectionable. Facebook, Twitter, and others (I want nothing to do with them) are what I consider social/irresponsible. I see FGRV and other “specific content” sites as informational and places where most posters are helpful.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:47 AM   #35

Gordon,
I had several element type and because it was in the off season there were no campers on either side so I had extension cords to both sides to suck the free electricity to power my 3 heaters. Slantfin, Long and close to the floor. Im not sure if they had oil in them or not but they did have thermostats and kept the camper warm except for extreme cold when I used the propane furnace with them. This was back from 95toY2K so I suspect those models are long gone. My Camper was a long stick built back then so I had the room for the heaters.
Old 09-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #36

Here you go. A plethora of convection heaters with and without thermostadts that take up very little roon in all ranges of wattages.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #37

Name: CJW
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
we use this Lasco - we just returned from Yellowstone where we ended up with lows in the teens overnight - and this one worked great. We do not keep it on all night - we found that if we get our 13 toasty warm before falling asleep it will stay fairly warm until I wake up about 2 am then I turned it on for about 5 minutes to warm us up until we got up in the morning. We LOVED it!https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
conniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #38

Name: Herb
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th Wheel
TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Anybody have a thermostat on their camp fire?
Sure Glenn, it is programmable and just used it last night. Lol
Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #39

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
"Put It On High" - ONLY if required!

I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer with over 45 years in the HVAC business. Some comments about the above responses:

Use of the Max Fan on a low setting to circulate the trailer air is a great idea. I frankly had not thought of that..... duhhhhh....

However, I don't agree with the suggestion to "Put It On High" and leave it there. Here is why..

I agree that conditions on occasion requires this setting. For example if it is extremely cold and you need all the heat or cooling possible. Sort of like using a ten pound hammer to drive finishing nails. It will work, but not so well.

For both A/C and heating, it is always best to use an output that is just more capable than the load. This alone will give the best comfort as the machine is cycling much less. Less cycling gives more even temperatures.

So, I suggest turning the unit on to high to warm or cool the area, and then using a lower setting for the evening. If the unit can't keep up, then go back to the high setting.

That said, trailer and unit limitations are different for each of us. If my recommendation does not work for you, then see the above responses and spend some more money.
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #40

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco