Recommendations for YVR area, BC for off-frame restoration of my 1974 Boler? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #1

Name: Lena
Trailer: 13' Boler
British Columbia
Recommendations for YVR area, BC for off-frame restoration of my 1974 Boler?

Good morning,
I've had my 1974 Boler sitting in our driveway awaiting a restoration for over 5 years now. Added another child to our family, life happened, and my husband (who promised to help me) too busy with work and our 3 kids, and I'm not capable of doing it myself. Fibreglass in decent shape, has had windows replaced, but the axel broke and it needs a new frame welded and a new floor. Interior stuff, electrical and the fun cosmetic work I'm not so worried about and I can do myself or later. But this baby needs to get rolling for some future fun! I'm not giving up on her now, even though my 11 year old refers to her as the "rotten egg." Lol. Given everything that's going on in the world, I thought perhaps some might have a little more time to read this post and send suggestions of places or people (don't mind paying someone independent who has experience with this if they are looking for a side-gig to make some money, but would appreciate a solid reference) who might be able to take on this job?
We are located in New Westminster, BC, a suburb of Vancouver.
Many thanks for your time!

Lena
LenaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You could call Escape Trailer Industries and ask if they know of anyone. From the sounds of it, it might be cheaper to buy a new Escape.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Hi Lena,

Many of these sorts of projects are referred to as a "labor of love" because they take so much money, time and energy to complete.

From the sounds of what you describe, it sounds like it might not make economic sense to pay someone to put Humpty together again.

If you do connect with someone who might do the work, think seriously about setting up terms and milestones that would protect you from this becoming a bottomless money-pit.

One question is whether you feel you can distinguish if work is being done properly. Otherwise, you might be paying someone to either make no progress, or to damage things even further.

You also might explore whether someone who does this sort of work might trade your trailer plus some cash for one that they have already restored. Or consider simply selling yours and then applying the funds to a more viable trailer.

Good luck, and keep us posted what you learn.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
There is a guy like me in your area!
You just have to find him.
Advertise in the local coffee papes, kijiji, craigslist ask around.
Be sure to get references and see some work relative to what you need, welding, glass work etc.
Phone everyone you know that fixes their stuff and ask if they know anyone.
Now is a particular bad time to be looking for a stranger.
Best of luck in your search.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:25 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sometimes it's best to find a project that is less intimidating. I passed on a project myself, price was more than fair. But it was just too much work.

Definitely something you want to have stored indoors if you are going to do it yourself. Fighting the weather can make a project that much harder.

When I was hunting for a Trillium I had a couple of things I would NOT tackle project wise. I inspected carefully, and rejected a couple that had those issues. #3 turned out to be the right choice for me.

You will read where others do amazing stuff. I am certainly impressed by these folks. In the end, the project needs to fit your budget, your space, your skills, your time frame. Waiting years to camp is an opportunity lost unless you have a second camper. Sometimes others just have more of everything including time and patience.

The good news is you have a Boler. They are very popular, and someone will want it as their project.

One final word on projects: some of us are retired (like me). And I have a garage for my trailers. And tools, I've got a ton of them. Projects? I like to keep three or four going at once. Its kind of entertainment in a way. A person raising a family, working, etc., no way is going to have the time a retired person has to take on projects.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
One final word on projects: some of us are retired (like me). And I have a garage for my trailers. And tools, I've got a ton of them. Projects? I like to keep three or four going at once. Its kind of entertainment in a way. A person raising a family, working, etc., no way is going to have the time a retired person has to take on projects.
Very sage advice
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: Bigfoot B 17 deluxe
British Columbia
Thumbs up Advice .... Not asked For !!

Hi ... I'm over on Pender Island but was born 76 years ago in New West.....Royal Columbian .......... There seem to be a lot of people with families who NEED to move to a more spacious trailer .... spending a LOT of money pursuing a dream only to find at the end of the rainbow their is a little trailer providing no Social Isolation opportunities ..... (not so good IMO) ........ I have an Oxygen which I would consider selling for 15K ......... light weight and room forth family ..... All the best in your decision making process .. remember it's very often true: You Get What You Pay For.... cheers
Corbett Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:59 AM   #8

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I have a 13' Trillium and just this year I had a new frame make for it.
Had s Flexiride axle made 3" wider from Pacific Spring and Axle in Langley and had Blair Machine in Burnaby make the frame and install the axle. Just had to take the shell off the frame and take the frame into Blair Machine so they could measure it for the proper dimensions. About $2000 all in with out painting the frame (used rocker guard to coat the frame)Click image for larger version

Name:	20200130_144646.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	133894

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200130_144655.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	133895
Material Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #9

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
You are looking at a major job replacing the floor alone. never mind all the other things.
It's simply not cost effective to have someone else do it for you, as it takes time.
I had one in about the same condition. Took me a whole winter to finish. Would have cost, "way too much" if I was paying someone else to do the work.
If I may? I suggest a 17' for your growing family.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #10

Name: Nigel
Trailer: In the market
Ontario
You might try calling https://www.armadillotrailers.net/contact-us and pick their brains. They where rebuilding Bolers for years before they started building new trailers. When we were there last year they had a couple of trailers there being overhauled. Maybe they are slow with this Covid-19 situation right now.

Nigel
NigelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #11

Name: Randy
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Hi Lena, I'm in Burnaby and just starting a complete frame off restoration on our 72 Boler. It is a total basket case. Like Material Guy above, I am using Pacific Spring and Axel for a Flexiride axle. I'm getting a welder friend to start on a new frame next week. If you like I will talk to him and see what his interest level is. Once he does mine and works out all the ticks and mods building a second frame should be pretty straight forward then.
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:25 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17ft 1983
British Columbia
Delta BC here, hello!

My opinion for what it's worth, is to sell the Boler unless it's a 17ft. We have a 1 yr old, 3 yr old, and our dog in our 17ft Bigfoot and on rainy days it feels cramped pretty quickly. We're contemplating a third child and would be looking at upsizing from our 17 to a 21 ft probably.

Usually I'd say make use of what you have, but since it seems like you're potentially spending at least $5k (projects are always more expensive than estimated), I think putting that money into something larger and not needing such extensive, expensive repairs.
AnotherCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:03 PM   #13

Name: Tony
Trailer: 2015 19 Scamp DLX
British Columbia
Hi Lena,

I am in White Rock and have restored several old trailers, where are you located approximately?
I might be able to help or give you some advice or connections...
Seacap10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, eco