Recovering Seat Cushions...Question on color/colour coordination - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 19 ft Bigfoot
Our TT has cushion covers with vinyl on the back side and cloth on the front. For those experienced seamstresses or with just good decorating sense, should the vinyl be a coordinating color in the same color family (as it is now) or is it OK to be in a contrasting, but coordinating color? We are not the type to go for far out funky colors and just want something that will be pleasing to the eye (in a conservative way) when we are finished recovering the darn things and easy on the eyes of new buyers should we ever decide to upgrade. The current fabric is in amazingly good condition just not our taste and we desperately need to lighten up the dark wood, dark fabric, dark everything interior of our '86 Bigfoot and maybe add a little color while we are at it.

While I am at it...has anyone opted to make slipcovers for their cushions rather than full removal and replacement of covers and if so, what are the pros and cons? Do you have any suggestions or pictures?

This is a pix of the desired new fabric and I am not sure if we need to have a vinyl backing in a coordinating green or could easily go with a tan/off white color.
Attached Images

FredericL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Personal preference is always a good way to go. Tan or white will work, but will also stand out more than a coordinated vinyl. slip covers would also work, think a fitted pillow case. It will add a bit of width and depth, so you need to figure out if there's room for the extra fabric in the seating area. It won't be much, but you want the cushions to sit flat and without wrinkles.

Hope this helps. I like the color, btw.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Personal preference is always a good way to go. Tan or white will work, but will also stand out more than a coordinated vinyl. slip covers would also work, think a fitted pillow case. It will add a bit of width and depth, so you need to figure out if there's room for the extra fabric in the seating area. It won't be much, but you want the cushions to sit flat and without wrinkles.

Hope this helps. I like the color, btw.
Thanks Bonnie. The pillow case example makes sense.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Since my Trillium's cushions were in great shape, but with an oh-so-70's fabric, I decided to make slipcovers. Did it this spring, and I'm very pleased. I found it best to make the covers quite tight-fitting. Mostly simple machine sewing, then hand sewing the ends with a curved upholstery needle. The hardest part was the measuring and layout.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:47 AM   #5

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
HI,
Regarding the color of the vinyl, I would try to coordinate with top fabric and try not to go too light, as all dirt and scuff marks will really show up then.
Also, when sewing heavier fabrics (and plastics like vinyl) you need a thicker sewing needle, which may leave little holes, and of course this is more noticeable on light colored vinyl.
Just my opinion!
marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
I'm recovering all the cushions in our "new" Compact Jr. even as we speak. (Taking sewing break to "play" on the computer for a few minutes.) Didn't choose to do slipcovers because the ones below were too far gone. The covers I'm making will slide on just fine, with velcro closure along back or bottom edge (depending upon cushion placement) for easy removal, washing and reinstall.

I'm not the greatest at color coordination, so I asked the ladies who work at our local fabric store to help me out. I picked the main print I wanted, they helped me coordinate a solid. (I was, apparently, WAY off.) It looks really great so far... I'll post pix once the cushions are in place...sometime next week (?). Perhaps if you take your vinyl down to a true fabric store. (Our local crafty shops don't have the brightest staff members, but the store that specializes in fabric has staff who knows JUST what they're doing.)

Best of luck!
Jen

jenpb.blogspot.com

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I just finished reupholstering the cushions in our Scamp. I used a coordinating color of vinyl even though it was on the bottom just because I like to keep things matching. If the vinyl on your cushions does not show, then it is really up to your preference on what color to use. I agree with Margie that darker would be better than light or white because it don't show dirt as easily.

I bought my vinyl at the local fabric discount superstore and chose a marine vinyl for its mildew-resistance properties. The store clerk reminded me to use a longer stitch when sewing the vinyl to prevent tearing. I also did a google search on how to sew vinyl as a refresher (its been a while since I've sewn with it).

One of the changes I made from the standard Scamp cushion was to move the zippers from the short end of the cushions to the long edge. This costs more as more zipper materials are required. I mitigated some of this by purchasing zipper-by-the-yard rather than a separate zipper for each cushion. Placing the zipper down the long side of the cushion made it really EASY to get the cushions into the covers, I was pleasantly surprised how quick and easy it went given the 'horror' stories other people have told about the wrestling match to insert cushions into the standard Scamp covers. I'll definitely do that again next time I reupholster a trailer.

--Lynne
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #8

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
So, approx. how many yards of fabric were needed to recover all of the cushions?
Including banana cushion? I'm thinking of doing the work myself, and would probably choose a fabric with no design repeat to make thinkgs easier.
Thanks, Marjie

Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
fabric discount superstore --Lynne
Could you tell me what this is? Never heard of one and have no idea if we have one and since we are just a couple hundred miles north of you, I am hoping the name will help.

Since I have already chosen the main fabric through an on-line store (do have a sample in hand for true color) I would love to be able to match a marine grade vinyl and a discount price sounds wonderful.

All great suggestions and now I think I will go with a coordinating green color for the vinyl. Still undecided on slip cover or full re-cover job. Definitely will go with full re-cover job if I can get my seamstress, neighbor/friend to do the job for a really good price.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Could you tell me what this is? Never heard of one and have no idea if we have one and since we are just a couple hundred miles north of you, I am hoping the name will help.
Sure! We have two great discount fabric stores in the Portland Oregon metro area

1. Fabric Depot
They have a good selection of vinyl material, this is where I bought the marine-grade vinyl. They have on-line ordering too, but in doing a quick search I couldn't find it in the on-line store. Maybe a phone call would work....

2. Mill End
They have an enormous selection of upholstery and other home decorating fabric. I bought my upholstery fabric here. Everything is sale priced but not necessarily cheap -- you have to search for the bargains.

Hope that helps,
--Lynne
Old 07-20-2008, 11:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Covers were done by Monday! WOO HOO! Managed curtains, too. Here they are...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6989small.jpg  

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Covers were done by Monday! WOO HOO! Managed curtains, too. Here they are...
Oh I like that! Nice and bright, looks like it is a good pattern for hiding stains too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Lookin' good!
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I recovered the seats in the tent trailer with a fairly heavy vinyl. Didn't remove the old material. And from then on I found it a struggle to fold up the trailer. That extra material was enough to prevent the seats and associated bits from fitting together as they should have. Not sure what your circumstances are, but if you need to drop a table between the seats to make a bed, you could find it a pain if you add material or increase the thickness.

baglo
Old 07-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #15

Trailer: Play Pac
Are any of you that have put vinyl on the bottom of the cushions experiencing any trouble with the cushions sliding around?

Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Are any of you that have put vinyl on the bottom of the cushions experiencing any trouble with the cushions sliding around?
We just completed our first camping trip (Oregon Gathering 2008! ) since reupholstering the cushions in our Scamp 5th wheel. When we arrived in Bandon, the seat cushions were all [b]still in place. Before this, I would find them all over the place, sometimes sliding all the way down to the floor under the dinette.

The backrest cushions did fall down but I expected that since they are not secured to anything [yet].

When I did the reupholstery work I wondered if putting vinyl on the bottom of the seat cushions would help with the sliding issue. In our case, it made a big difference. By the way, our dinette benches are molded fiberglass.

--Lynne
Old 07-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I re-did mine with the vinyl on the bottom panel. it slides a little but not enough to worry about. I did it cause a professional told it was better for when it's humid and the condensation drips down from the walls. I guess it would be easier to wipe off and would be less prone to staining too?

Quote:
We just completed our first camping trip (Oregon Gathering 2008! ) since reupholstering the cushions in our Scamp 5th wheel. When we arrived in Bandon, the seat cushions were all [b]still in place. Before this, I would find them all over the place, sometimes sliding all the way down to the floor under the dinette.

The backrest cushions did fall down but I expected that since they are not secured to anything [yet].

When I did the reupholstery work I wondered if putting vinyl on the bottom of the seat cushions would help with the sliding issue. In our case, it made a big difference. By the way, our dinette benches are molded fiberglass.

--Lynne
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 1978 Boler
Quote:
I just finished reupholstering the cushions in our Scamp. I used a coordinating color of vinyl even though it was on the bottom just because I like to keep things matching. If the vinyl on your cushions does not show, then it is really up to your preference on what color to use. I agree with Margie that darker would be better than light or white because it don't show dirt as easily.

I bought my vinyl at the local fabric discount superstore and chose a marine vinyl for its mildew-resistance properties. The store clerk reminded me to use a longer stitch when sewing the vinyl to prevent tearing. I also did a google search on how to sew vinyl as a refresher (its been a while since I've sewn with it).

One of the changes I made from the standard Scamp cushion was to move the zippers from the short end of the cushions to the long edge. This costs more as more zipper materials are required. I mitigated some of this by purchasing zipper-by-the-yard rather than a separate zipper for each cushion. Placing the zipper down the long side of the cushion made it really EASY to get the cushions into the covers, I was pleasantly surprised how quick and easy it went given the 'horror' stories other people have told about the wrestling match to insert cushions into the standard Scamp covers. I'll definitely do that again next time I reupholster a trailer.

--Lynne
No kidding. I just installed the cushions from our 13 foot 1978 boler egg into the replacement scamp covers with the zippers on the short end of things. I should have ordered a gorilla along with the covers. Smart move moving the zippers to the long side of things but the wife doesn't do sewing.
Russ

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote