Reducing Leaks in Hunter Pop-Up Tops - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2016, 07:09 AM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Reducing Leaks in Hunter Pop-Up Tops

I'm shopping for a Hunter Compact Jr., or Hunter Compact II, or a Trails West Campster. I hope to see one in person when my wife and I go on a road trip in a couple of weeks. I assume it's inevitable that some rain will leak through the joint on the top and that the condition of that foldable fabric material (canvas?) is the key. Right? If I find one with relatively new canvas in good condition, should I expect it to be pretty water-tight?
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
I'm shopping for a Hunter Compact Jr., or Hunter Compact II, or a Trails West Campster. I hope to see one in person when my wife and I go on a road trip in a couple of weeks. I assume it's inevitable that some rain will leak through the joint on the top and that the condition of that foldable fabric material (canvas?) is the key. Right? If I find one with relatively new canvas in good condition, should I expect it to be pretty water-tight?
Having the fabric is in good condition and the thread too is important. After cleaning the fabric you can put water proofing sprays on exterior of the fabric and then on the inside of the fabric brush a urethane seam sealer, one made for tents, along all the stitching lines.

The top seam should not be a problem since it has a "hat" over it. The bottom seam will be on the outside of the fiberglass flange so that is not a water entry point.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #3

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
If it's raining hard we put the top down on our Compact II. The only time we have had water come in is when it blows in the "windows". One of these days I'll redo the canvas with covers for them.
The Compacts have interlocking inner and outer fiberglass flanges that do a great job of keeping water out. I don't know about the others

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #4

Oklahoma
Registry
Thank you K C. This is encouraging information. If a rain storm comes up while you are camping I suppose you could easily pull the top down into the travel position and that flange you told me about would keep the rain out.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Registry
Denece, it looks like we posted at the same time. Ha. It looks like I have the right idea. Thanks. We've found that camping is like washing your car - it pretty much assures a rain storm.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: Compact Junior
Saskatchewan
Leak potential for Compact Jr

As to the question of leaking around the pop-up

The original system in my estimation is ideal for the prevention of leaks. Key to that are two factors
a) Make sure the pop up is fully extended and therefore forming a taut (tight) fabric surface
b) Maintain the velcro closures and vinyl 'windows' so no cracking can occur and therefore allow penetration of rain.

Isn't it a lovely feeling to have all those 'ducks in a row' before the rain starts, and then enjoy the fun and fury of a rainstorm on your camper roof??????
jish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I can vouch for the weather tightness of the Compact Jr's pop-up section. Last April I camped near Sacramento, and it rained quite hard the first day and then a steady rain the second day. The sun came out on the third day, just before packing up to go home the following day.

The top was up the whole time, and no water got in from there. I had my canvass "boot" made from "Sunbrella" awning fabric with zippered window flaps, like in a tent.

The side window leaked though. I had to wait 'till I got home to pull it and replace the Butyl tape gasket.

Tags
leaks