refigerator problem - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #21

Name: Ann
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
I didn't notice an odor. I'm going to try leveling the camper up this weekend.
asmckinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #22

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
What you'd be on the lookout for is ammonia. I think you'd know if it was leaking. Smelly and dangerous.

Can't think of any reason that water on the floor and the fridge not working would be related, but who knows.

The fridge will work off-level, so I'd think you'd at least notice some cooling, unless you're so off level that you can't even stand up in there. The problem is that it'll run off level, but will damage the fridge. Definitely, in the future, never run the fridge when the camper is off level enough that you aren't comfortable hanging out/sleeping in there. The ammonia won't be able to circulate correctly in the coils on the back of the fridge, crystals will form and clog the passages.

I'm guessing that being off level isn't what's causing your fridge not to work, but you definitely want to level it before trying to run it any more.

What did the previous owner say about the fridge? Because if they said "I never used it so I don't know if it works", that's code for "it's broken"...99% of the time.

Did it come with the manual? It'll tell you trouble-shooting methods, where all the fuses are etc.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #23

Name: Ann
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
I have not smelled ammonia. I do have the manual and checked the fuse. The fuse was OK.
asmckinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #24

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Ok. Just want to re-state that my last two fridges had a second fuse, somewhere on the back of the fridge. But again I can't remember if it only had to do with 12V or if it effected 120V also...

Good luck! Hopefully it's something simple and you don't have to take it in to a repair place to find the problem...Fridges aren't cheap.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #25

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Try it on propane- after levelling , leave overnight , if no cooling [i.e. no frost in the freezer] you have lost your coolant and need help . If it works on propane then the problem is electrical and you should be able to track that down.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #26

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Without the 12Vs it's not going too work on LP. With hers being a 2003 model the refer requires it unlike the older units without circuit boards.
An ammonia leak is easy to tell....it hits you like a baseball bat .
Question for the OP, do you have any lights working on the control panel ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #27

Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
This past summer I installed a brand new Norcold 3way fridge in my Boler1300 and it didn't have a curcuit board and it works on LP just fine even with the battery out of it.
Just turn gas on...hit pizzo...and set thermostate. all out back of fridge
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:54 PM   #28

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
This past summer I installed a brand new Norcold 3way fridge in my Boler1300 and it didn't have a curcuit board and it works on LP just fine even with the battery out of it.
Just turn gas on...hit pizzo...and set thermostate. all out back of fridge
Yes, a refrigerator with a pilot light usually does not require 12 volts. Electronic ignition has no pilot light but does require 12 volts to work. The drain on the battery is very low to supply the refrigerator.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote