Reflectix... how much to do interior? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2018, 08:20 AM   #1

Name: Rex
Trailer: 1977 13' Scamp
Texas
Reflectix... how much to do interior?

Going to be refurbishing/restoring my '77 13' scamp.

How many feet of a 4' roll of reflectix is needed to insulate the interior?

I'm going to be ordering from online so will help if I can get close to right amount.

Thanks for help!
rexrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I would check at the box stores then you can return some things I haven't found that much difference in price!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sides: 6x10x2=120 sf
Ends: 6x7x2=84 sf
Ceiling: 7x10=70 sf

120+84+70=274 sf

274/4=68.5 lf

Add 20% for wastage, about 82 linear feet. If, as I recall, it comes in 25' rolls, I'd order 3. If you come up short, you should be able to pick up extra at most big box home supply stores.

Thinking about how you might actually piece it together, I come up with the same result, about 75 lf. One long piece across the ceiling from front window to back window, 12'. Wrap around the bottom full circumference, about 35'. Two more 12' lengths to wrap the upper side wall onto the ceiling- the tricky part.

Hafta ask, though... What do you have on the walls now? Ensolite can almost always be salvaged, and it is a better insulator than Reflectix. You can paint it or cover it with headliner for a like-new appearance.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Hafta ask, though... What do you have on the walls now? Ensolite can almost always be salvaged, and it is a better insulator than Reflectix. You can paint it or cover it with headliner for a like-new appearance.
I think it's Ensolite but it's coming apart and off the walls. The white vinyl layer seems to have separated from the rest of it in lots of areas. I haven't yanked it yet. I considered trying to work with it but it's pretty bad. Also very moldy.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Rex, appears you deleted a post, so I'm not sure this is helpful or not...

Your description of the Ensolite does sound pretty bad. Post some pictures and others more experienced might be able to tell you whether it's worth trying to salvage.

Best wishes! Hope you share photos and updates as you go.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not sure what happened let me try again. The vinyl layer has separated in most of it and is falling off. Plus lots of mold.

Here are some pics:

Old 02-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
If you're looking to insulate the trailer, Reflectix has an "R Value" of about 1, (i.e. next to nothing,) making it a not-so-good insulator. Just me, but if I was going to go through all the headaches and trouble of installing insulation throughout, I'd want something that actually afforded me with a reasonable degree of insulating value. YMMV
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
insulation

greg I had a 40ft eagle bus that had been converted the guy put 1/2in foam then naughahyde over that I don't think that was good either. there is just so little space in these eggs makes it sort of tough to really do a good job.

do you have an idea?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #9

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Not really Bob. I just live with the factory installed "rat fur" carpeting that is glued on inside my trailer. It isn't much of an insulator either, but I'm not about to rip it out. When it comes right down to it, most fiberglass interior coverings offer little in the way of insulation, and are only there for two main reasons. One is to keep condensation from forming on the inside walls, and the other is to keep the sunlight from shining through the fiberglass if there wasn't anything covering it.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #10

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
You can still get Ensolite without the vinyl facing. You could always put it down and then put "rat fur" on top. Here is a DuckDuckGo search for it:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ensolite+i...on&t=hf&ia=web
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Casita Greg is correct. Reflectix is not the insulator people think it is. But it may or may not be better than nothing as a vapor barrier & minor insulator.

Now, in terms of reflecting heat coming in through glass, its foil surface makes it fairly good at that. Not certain, it may work even better on the outside of glass. But that's usually not practical, and would degrade it.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #12

Texas
I added pics to my response which I guess has it waiting for moderator approval.

Anyway... I assume it's ensolite on the walls of my scamp. The vinyl layer has separated from it and is falling off in most of it. Also has lots of mold. I have not ripped it all out yet. It's a pretty big mess though. And I would like to get working on it in the next weeks.

Just trying to research and make best choice considering circumstances.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #13

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
Rex, it’s a lot of work but if you are a handy man with patience it’s doable. Here are a couple of pics, I have just completed mine 1 month ago. You can also check my link for details.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2862.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	116311
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #14

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
Sorry forgot the link for details.
Trillium 4500 (quebec)
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=81003
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaross View Post
Rex, it’s a lot of work but if you are a handy man with patience it’s doable. Here are a couple of pics, I have just completed mine 1 month ago. You can also check my link for details.Attachment 116311
Very nice job!
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #16

Texas
Here are the pictures I posted yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexrogers View Post
I think it's Ensolite but it's coming apart and off the walls. The white vinyl layer seems to have separated from the rest of it in lots of areas. I haven't yanked it yet. I considered trying to work with it but it's pretty bad. Also very moldy.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #17

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Wow! It must smell horribly in there. I've only ever seen a "sticky" with the walls in that kind of condition.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I have a question, and I don't know the answer. It may depend on the particular installation. It seems to me you do not want to trap moisure near solid fiberglass walls, where it can't escape. Noting that Reflectix is R 1.04 in insulating value.

Reflectix R-value claims reasonable? | Fine Homebuilding | Breaktime
"Don't get bamboozled by advertising claims that discuss long-wave and short-range radiation. What you want is R-value; that's what stops heat flow. Contrary to the misleading claims of some reflective insulation manufacturers, R-value measurements account for all three types of heat transfer -- radiant, conductive, and convective. According to ASTM C518 testing, Reflectix has an R-value of 1.04. That's quite low. If you can successfully construct a wall assembly that includes a 3/4 air gap on one or both sides of the Reflectix, the R-value of the entire wall assembly (not the R-value of the Reflectix) will go up. The increase in R-value is due to the R-value of the air space or spaces. However, this higher R-value depends upon the long-term maintenance of the air space, and will be degraded if the Reflectix ever sags. Moreover, the effect of the shiny radiant surface will be degraded over time by dust. Bottom line: get yourself some rigid polyisocyanurate foam."

So, does the use of Reflectix, a pretty good moisture barrier, contribute to mold conditions, or does it help avoid moisture -mold problems? Why?
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #19

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Wow! It must smell horribly in there. I've only ever seen a "sticky" with the walls in that kind of condition.
It was even worse. I've actually cleaned the walls that still have the vinyl skin and the cabinets some.

But you can see why I wanna just re-do the insulation and wall covering.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
OK, I am a save the Ensolite kind of guy, but that stuff has to go. It is not worth saving. A filter mask, and a very course wire brush / scraper on a drill and scrape it off. The foam will pack up on the brush if it is too fine, so something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Stripper-Pain.../dp/B00JGX2CQC
Attached Thumbnails
Drill Scraper.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote