refrig replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #1

Name: jane
Trailer: casita
Texas
refrig replacement

Hi
I have a 2003 Spirit Deluxe Casita. My 3-way refrig. went out and I need to replace it. Dometic/American no longer makes a perfect replacement and I am trying to find out 1. What is the new replacement model number & 2. has anyone had their refrig replaced in the state of Maryland. I don't just want to take it to just anyone as since it's riveted in and fits perfect don't want to muck it up. Had a bad experience with replacing the toilet.

I have called Casita but they don't call me back with the answers.
janesummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Jane, does the fridge work in any mode; AC, propane or DC? If on none, have you 'burped' it? (ie turned it upside down a few times to possibly clear any blockages in the cooler) Is there any ammonia smell? Have you been keeping the trailer level when using it?

Where is it riveted. Rivets are not overly difficult to remove

Inquiring minds have got to know. We need more information. You may be able to salvage it.

Worse case; you actually do have to replace it. You should be able to determine the correct replacement using this chart:

http://americanrvcompany.com/assets/...ementChart.pdf
Old 07-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by janesummer View Post
1. What is the new replacement model number.
It would help to know the model number of the existing fridge. It can usually be found on a placard on the interior. If not, it may also be found on the backside, accessible through the exterior lower vent.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
This is what you need once you figure out what model you have. Or you can measure what your Frig.
Eddie

http://dometic3frontend.qbank.se/epi...2fc4ea2393.pdf
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Will the fridge fit through the door, or does it have to go out through the rear window? What year did Casita change to the larger window. Our '96 has the smaller rear window.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Since you are in Texas, you may want to keep calling Casita and see if they can do the work for you. know Casita does do repair work on their trailers. A job that could be easy for them to do because they are so familiar with their trailers could be hard to do by the average RV shop out there.

Depending on rear window size, frig has to come through the window. If you have the smaller rear window, it gets more complicated.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would contact Dometic and find out who their local authorized service is and take it there.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:56 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We really need to know the exact Casita you have. Besides 2003 SD we need know the length. I'm going to "assume" it's a 17 foot one for the following as it's the most popular one.

Casita changed the back window size in 2003 so your back window could be either one I'm guessing.

But first what is wrong with your unit?
Your 2003 came with the Dometic 2453 that is a manual one that has a big advantage over the current ones, that is it does not require 12 volts to operate.
Might not sound like much but the new ones require 12 volts DC even to operate on propane or 120 volts AC so low battery means it won't work period and the manual ones are not being made.

If you have the small back window, like our 1999 the refrigeration part must be removed from the box before it will fit (not a simple task) through the door. Do you want a new refrigerator taken apart just to get it in? I just replaced the refrigeration unit on our refrigerator and it all had to be done inside the Casita, not fun but possible and my refrigerator works perfect.

So now what's wrong with yours? It's much easier to fix these then it is to replace them.
Plus Casita did not do such a good job on the install, check out this "how to make the refrigerator work better" thread. Might just need some venting modifications.
https://www.casitaforum.com/invboard...ge-run-better/

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote