Refrigerator (new to camping) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 11:01 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Thanks for that info. The internet is a terrific tool for spreading misinformation so I accept the correction and won't repeat my mistake.
On the other hand, like millions of others, I will run my fridge on propane while on the road and heat my house with natural gas.
Not using that electricity though. Too many people have been electrocuted.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #22

Name: Alexander
Trailer: Escape 15B
British Columbia
propane fridge running while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsublett View Post
I have a 3 way refrigerator, can I run it while traveling
Not in British Columbia.
The Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations require that the appliance tank valves be closed when your RV is moving. Also, a quick consultation with a Gas Safety Officer at the BC Safety Authority confirmed what I have always believed, this is not a good idea. In fact, it could be very dangerous in some circumstances. No open flames at the gas pump means exactly that. Having the propane fridge running is asking for trouble and just downright irresponsible.
penderpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
On days we are traveling , our first stop is to fill our truck’s fuel tank , then after leaving the gas station we start our refrigerator on propane
When our fuel tank gets close to the point that we need fuel again we find a place to camp
We have a 34 gallon fuel tank which takes us as far as we want to go in a day
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by penderpaul View Post
Not in British Columbia.
The Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations require that the appliance tank valves be closed when your RV is moving.

Not true.

You can't read the regulations for transportation of bulk propane, gasoline and apply them to RVs.
I suggest you copy and paste the regulation that you refer to and provide the link so we all can see what it really says.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It is best to run on 12V while towing; as long as you have the 7 pin connector with hot lead.
To know if your wiring is up to the task, take a voltage reading at the 12V terminals at back of fridge - with the fridge off, and on.
Our 2000 16 ft showed about 10V with fridge on. The internal wiring from the converter/fuse box to the fridge was too light.
I ran a 12 gauge wire direct from battery to + terminal on fridge, with in-line fuse. That kept the voltage above 11.
Now, make sure to shut the 12V switch off if you are stopped for lunch, or more than a short while. Otherwise your TV's battery will be discharging.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #26

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
An RV two or three way refrigerator uses the ammonia cycle. Propane or electricity is used to heat the ammonia generator to produce ammonia gas. While this is very useful, it also consumes a lot of energy. A modern compressor type fridge will consume about one tenth the AC or DC power of an equivalent ammonia cycle unit.

A compressor fridge would be much easier to use when driving, but could pose a problem while you are dry camping, depending on your battery pack and solar configuration.

Bill in NC, owner of home built all electric class B van camper.
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #27

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Traveling w/ Propane on.

As John V.stated you are getting into an area with a lot of differing opinions. Started using the hitch plug, wasn't satisfied with the results and now travel with propane on. Have logged many miles using this method.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
80,000 miles running our fridge on propane. Amazingly, we are still alive.

Cloudmaster Don
Cloud master Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #29

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I am a BC Guy and still have some common sense left.. Think about it.. If you have an appliance that has an open flame pilot light on all the time - like my lil fridge in my Trillium does.. There ain't no way I am driving it into a gas station with my pilot light on because I don't know about the rest of you but too many times I have seen folks "top up" their automobile gas tank and spill gas on the concrete.. I have this notion that if I can smell the gas that the gas fumes could just as well come in contact with the open flame of my pilot - thus the concern about the "BOOM".. And who will they blame - with my luck it won't be the guy that spilled the gas..
Old 07-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #30

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from Comox View Post
I am a BC Guy and still have some common sense left.. Think about it.. If you have an appliance that has an open flame pilot light on all the time - like my lil fridge in my Trillium does.. There ain't no way I am driving it into a gas station with my pilot light on because I don't know about the rest of you but too many times I have seen folks "top up" their automobile gas tank and spill gas on the concrete.. I have this notion that if I can smell the gas that the gas fumes could just as well come in contact with the open flame of my pilot - thus the concern about the "BOOM".. And who will they blame - with my luck it won't be the guy that spilled the gas..

Do you sit outside the gas station and wait 20 minutes for your catalytic converter to cool below ignition temperature too, before pushing your tow vehicle to the pumps? Just curious....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
Do you sit outside the gas station and wait 20 minutes for your catalytic converter to cool below ignition temperature too, before pushing your tow vehicle to the pumps? Just curious....

Old 07-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #32

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Just in case you don't - I assume you push the tow vehicle away from the pumps after gassing up to avoid those sparks from your solenoid/starter motor igniting those pesky fumes...
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:04 PM   #33

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Just in case you don't - I assume you push the tow vehicle away from the pumps after gassing up to avoid those sparks from your solenoid/starter motor igniting those pesky fumes...
Uh oh. Things aren't so black and white afterall. Oh my! Reality is so annoying sometimes.

Good post.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:10 PM   #34

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Ugh. Another "its dangerous to run the fridge on propane while towing" thread. Bring on more misinformation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 07-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:01 AM   #36

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Just because you can smell fumes it does not necessarily follow that those fumes will ignite. Now, if your pilot light is on the ground, maybe. But mine isn't.

Cloudmaster Don
Cloud master Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #37

NW Wisconsin
The area around an outdoor gasoline dispensing pump is considered Class 1
Div 1 up to a height of 18” above grade and 20 ft horizontally in all directions
Class 1 Div 1 is considered a highly hazardous / explosive area
Up to a height of 48” around the pump is considered Class 1 Div 2 and is less hazardous
I would not refuel my vehicle while the refrigerator is running on propane but if you are traveling the air movement would clear out any propane fumes .
I would be more leary of propane accumulating in the refrigerator compartment when parked .
If you want 100% assurance then the only solution is to remove the propane tanks .
Old 07-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #38

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Gasoline is "funny" stuff. It's a great source of energy when used right, AND a huge danger when abused.
Did you know: you can boil gasoline on an electric stove (outdoors) and it will not burn … as long as there is no spark.
To me, running your fridge on LP while traveling is a waste of propane.
The 12V system gets its energy from the gas you're burning to drive down the road anyway.
Our first trailer was a 13 ft Scamp that had had its 12V wiring burned out, so we had no choice but to run the fridge on LP while towing. It went through a tank of LP in short order. It had just one tank. So, when we ordered our 16 ft Scamp we asked for two LP tanks. But we ran on 12V. LP consumption went way down.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
To me, running your fridge on LP while traveling is a waste of propane.

Here's the problem with that: if you've been camping and your house battery is depleted, it will still be depleted when you arrive at your next campsite. The tow vehicle is not able to run the fridge on DC and to charge the house battery at the same time.

In any event, the fridge uses very little propane.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:18 AM   #40

NW Wisconsin
The average RV refrigerator running 24/7 will burn one 20lb tank of propane in approx 30 days . I just had one of my propane tanks filled , cost was $12
I can’t see how running on 12 VDC could be seen as a significant cost savings
Glenn B pretty much hit the nail in the head , arriving at your campsite late in the evening with a depleted battery is a real problem and one I wish to avoid

Tags
refrigerator