Refrigerator Not Cooling - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #1

Name: Marsha
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Refrigerator Not Cooling

Hi our Dometic RM2454lb1f refrigerator the just quit. It is heating but not cooling. We tried the tap it fix but it is still not cooling on gas or electric. Anyone have any other possible quick fixes other than getting a new refrigerator? We have an 2007 Casita SD. We appreciate any help.
tcrwbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:12 AM   #2

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Lawrence
Does the gas burner ignite and burn?

If it does light up, but the unit doesn't cool, it might suggest an ammonia leak. As I understand it, the cycle should support itself if you're inputting heat into the closed system.
thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #3

Name: Hal
Trailer: looking
New Mexico
You might have some luck pulling it out and flipping it. Flip it onto its side, top, side and bottom. Repeat a couple of times. You might get lucky, sometimes there builds up a blockage and that can break it loose. Usually caused by running it out of level. It's worth a try, losts cheaper than a new one(free except for your labor)
Hal
HalStClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I had the same thing happen about a month after the warranty on my trailer expired. Dometic was using cheap "off shore" mother boards. I came to this conclusion as I was able to "hot wire" the gas valve open and light the refrigerator's burner with a BBQ lighter. The mother board had delaminated due to poor construction and failed. I replaced the mother board with a "made in America" unit and have received years of service since doing that.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 17' Casita
When you say it is heating, I assume you mean the propane flame is there, or heat from the electric element when plugged in. A low flame will not cool. Clean the jet if the flame isn't bright blue and near an inch high. You can check the electrical element with a quick touch. That would eliminate a control board problem. Have you tried both ways? If so, then you probably have an ammonia blockage, or leak. Look for a yellow stain on any of the piping.
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:02 AM   #6

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
How long have you had the Casita? I ask because unless the fridge was run at a very steep slope, very off-level, the chances of a "clog" are extremely low. All the conventional wisdom of how to "fix" these fridges is based on models from the 70s and 80s.

A modern (meaning mid 90s or so and newer) fridge will only get a clog if it's run so far off level that you won't be comfortable hanging out in the trailer. As to ammonia leaks, I'm sure they happen, and now people will probably come out of the woodwork, but in all my time on this site and a mini rv site, I've never heard anyone actually mention that it's happened to them.

Most likely is a simple electrical problem (including the main board), or a dirty, plugged orifice or vent.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #7

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Coming out of the woodwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
As to ammonia leaks, I'm sure they happen, and now people will probably come out of the woodwork, but in all my time on this site and a mini rv site, I've never heard anyone actually mention that it's happened to them.
I had one leak in my Bounder about ten years ago, but if you have a leak you should smell it. I still have the refrigerator and use it for welding rod storage. even today, I need to hold my breath every time I open it.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:25 AM   #8

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
I needed help ventilating my camper fridge. Before when it reached 90 degrees or higher outside my fridge couldn't keep up. Added this Beech Lane High Power Fridge Fan to help with the ambient temp around it.
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:28 PM   #9

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrwbm View Post
Hi our Dometic RM2454lb1f refrigerator the just quit. It is heating but not cooling. We tried the tap it fix but it is still not cooling on gas or electric. Anyone have any other possible quick fixes other than getting a new refrigerator? We have an 2007 Casita SD. We appreciate any help.

It may be worth having it looked at. as you may or may not know there is only one way to get a new one in there and thats removing the rear window.I wish i could tell you what to check. also do some searching over on the casita fourms
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:22 AM   #10

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
How hot is the boiler tube getting? If it's not heating up, you're not getting a good flame. If it is heating up, either the fluid leaked out or the corrosion inhibitor has crystallized in the boiler tube and clogged it up. Usually you'll see (yellow deposits) and smell (ammonia) a leak. If it's a leak, you need a new cooling system. If it's a clog, turning it upside-down can dislodge it.
Defenestrator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:04 AM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Escape 21 and Northern Lite truck camper 2014 2500 HD Duramax
Michigan
If you determine the cooling unit is at fault a better than original option is available

https://jc-refrigeration.com/

https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...tic-gas-elect/

https://jcrefrigeration-dutchaire.discussion.community/
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #12

Name: James
Trailer: trillium
Morriston
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrwbm View Post

Make sure it is level, mine is sensitive to level to the left or right not so much front to back
James does is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
If it is not working on AC but the heat element is heating, you have eliminated many of the common problems all of which relate to running on LP gas.

The manuals available online include diagnostic procedures to evaluate and determine the cause of the problem.

Following diagnosis, one can effect repairs.

Tags
refrigerator