Refrigerator Problems - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 19 ft Scamp
any ideas why my ice box is cold enough to make ice but the reefer part is warm,it is not the door seal and i have a fan in the back to pull out hot air. thanks
thomas kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Thomas,

Is the fan in the rear recirculating far across the evaporator? What model/make is the cold box? Also what are the outdoor temps at the time? What is the size of the exhaust vent? What trailer make ? A pic of the vent set up would help. Some eggs I have worked on have REALLY lousy venting...(Burro) The fixes are simple but I hesitate to comment without knowing the particulars.

I see the profile but am not sure this is the unit we are talking about.

Quote:
any ideas why my ice box is cold enough to make ice but the reefer part is warm,it is not the door seal and i have a fan in the back to pull out hot air. thanks
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #3

Harry ,the fridge is in a 1985 scamp 5th wheel and your right the venting is lousy,it is a dometic mod#rm211b, outside temps have been in the low 60 to 70,cleaned flue vent, insulated around reefer,cleaned burner ,installed fan in rear to help with venting .I am about ready to rip it out and put a ice box in thanks for any and all help
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
First, is your 'fridge level? It won't work properly if it isn't pretty close to level.

Just how cold is your freezer? One can make ice at 28 degrees, and that really isn't as cold as the freezer should be. You should be able to get these things down to zero degrees if they are working right.

What is your 'fridge thermostat set at? I suggest setting it in the middle of it's range, and seeing what temeratures you get in both the freezer and 'fridge compartments.

See the following URL for a good explanation about how these 'fridges work: http://www.geocities.com/bolerama/refrigerator1.html

Keep us posted!

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Dan is asking good questions,

I have one more question...is is the refrigerator working best on gas or electric?

In the Scamps and the Burros I have had to use a .25 amp computer fan to boost the performance but not under the temps your in.

Also when leveling the trailer you are really leveling the refrigerator?

Do not bubble the coach, bubble the fridge...Also try all the three axis points, the really important one is door to back...I have found that the refrigerator has been installed so pathetically that on some refrigerators its knocking them out...Since the tech in this fridge you have is dual carb its supposed to be more forgiving...Norecold more than Dometic.

My gut tells me here we need more info, do not rip it out unless your going to test it...a good test is to remove the sucker and place on a known level surface...with the back wide open run on gas or electric and test its operation...if it runs well the gremlin is in the install.

Any performance test on these absorption units should be a minimum of 6 hours long.

Happy Camping Safe Trails.

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #6

Thanks dan and harry I have tryed all of the above and at this moment it is 60* outside temp in freezer 0* reefer42* Also i took the freezer door off and the temp in the reefer was 28* i guess i will try cleaning the thermostat per how these things work
Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
If you have the fridge out turn it updide down for 24 hours.
This worked well for me, now the fridge works well again.
DAVE
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Quote:

You could hardwire the 110v heater, make a cord that you can plug in the wall outlet and go direct to the heater leads. This will bypass the thermostat. To eliminate any possible venting issues, you could pull the fridge right out of the unit and just bench test it and it should freeze up if the cooling unit is good. Let it run for about 10 - 12 hours. With a jug of water in the lower part this will help to hold on the cold Otherwise it will be expensive because the cooling unit is probably on the way out.

Thanks,
Ken
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator