Refrigerator replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2022, 08:26 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
Refrigerator replacement

I have been looking at new refrigerators but it seems that the DM2662 is no longer made, replacement seems to be the Model DM2672, I haven't gotten a response from dometic on this yet.

Looked at replacing the refrigeration unit but can't be ensured its not from the X series so don't want to spend $750.00 on something that's going to fail in a few years again, any suggestions?

Has anyone installed an electric only unit in their camper?
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:58 AM   #2

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
I have been looking at new refrigerators but it seems that the DM2662 is no longer made, replacement seems to be the Model DM2672, I haven't gotten a response from dometic on this yet.

Looked at replacing the refrigeration unit but can't be ensured its not from the X series so don't want to spend $750.00 on something that's going to fail in a few years again, any suggestions?

Has anyone installed an electric only unit in their camper?
I have a electric Dometic 35 liter portable compressor fridge/freezer in my Honda Odyssey van which gets transferred to the Pick up when we tow the Scamp on any trips. It has been working great for six years now. It lives in the van and runs every time we start the van up to go anywhere. We got it when we were RV-less and took the grand kids on a big trip to Yellowstone. When my 2006 Scamp's refrigerator dies (and it on it last legs) I definately plan on replacing it with a truck or RV compressor refrigerator. The ones they are making today don't use that much amperage. But not worried about that cause I running two 100 Ah 12 V LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battleborn batteries.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:34 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I had replaced our Scamp refrigerator with a Novakool 12 volt only. It had more internal space and did great with a 100 watt renogy solar panel and one marine battery. We now have a 12 volt only Truckfridge in our Lil Snoozy with a 160 watt Renogy solar panel and 400 watts of Renogy lithium iron batteries., because I run our microwave and electric water heater off our 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter as well.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:20 AM   #4

Mississippi
Just for extra information my paperwork on the 25RQ listed the dm2662lbx as the equipment onboard, it’s actually a DM2852, just saying check the information on the fridge.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:41 PM   #5

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita 17' LD
Florida
Yes,, I installed a Nova Kool electric-only compessor driven fridge in our 17' Casita. Best mod I ever made.
Frank R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:42 PM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
California
Casita

What exact model Nova Kool refrigerator did you put in your 17ft Casita? Thanks
doctoruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 04:20 PM   #7

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita 17' LD
Florida
R5810, 5.8 cu ft. I did a report on the Casita Travel Trailer Forum.
Search for New Compressor Refrigerator. Old Dometic R.I.P. on the appliances sub-forum.
Frank R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:32 AM   #8

Mississippi
New Info

Now that I’m home I’ve had more time to check out the refrigerator. Sat morning I turned it on with using propone then disconnected the thermistor, Sunday morning it was 10 degrees. Doesn’t this point to the thermistor being bad?
Old 10-10-2022, 10:40 AM   #9

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
Now that I’m home I’ve had more time to check out the refrigerator. Sat morning I turned it on with using propone then disconnected the thermistor, Sunday morning it was 10 degrees. Doesn’t this point to the thermistor being bad?
You can check the resistance (ohm's) across the thermistor to see if it's good. For a RM2612 this is how you check it according to the Service Tips doc:

Quote:
Disconnect the thermistor harness from the P2,
2-pin terminal on the lower circuit board. Place
the thermistor in a glass of ice water, approximately
33°F to 35°F. Wait 2 to 3 minutes. You
should get a reading of approximately 7,000 to
10,000 ohms.
Which unit do you have? Can you find the Service Tips doc for it? Good luck.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:36 AM   #10

Mississippi
Yes

I have one I’m going to do the same thing this weekend with the AC side of power. I had tried this before but most likely didn’t wait long enough. This is when I’ll get the multi meter out.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:44 PM   #11

Mississippi
Adjustable thermistor

Well good news, I replaced the thermistor with an adjustable thermistor from jp refrigeration was happy with it. We are on our first trip since installing it after cutting the old thermistor off. I’m happy to say we have been in the camper a week now with the freezer holding 0 degrees plus minus 5, refrigerator 30 plus 5 minus 2.

We are happy campers again.

Tags
refrigerator