Registering a new Scamp in California. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2021, 02:46 PM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Registering a new Scamp in California.

I just bought a new Scamp and had it delivered to California. Does anyone have any advice for getting it registered at AAA or going to the DMV? I am wondering if I need to bring the Scamp with me in order to register for the first time and get a title and stuff. Or can I just go there in an ordinary car? Is it better to try to do this at AAA or to go to the DMV? I haven’t been able to get anyone on the phone at either place to ask any questions. They seem pretty committed to an impenetrable phone tree. So any advice anyone has is most welcome. Right now it has a temporary Minnesota plates which expire on April 4 and I’m thinking I may get fined for doing this late and I am hoping the fine is not too much.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:43 PM   #2

Name: Gavin
Trailer: Scamp
Ca
Hi Zack,

Congratulations on your new Scamp. I registered my new 2020 Scamp 13' at AAA here in Carlsbad, California. AAA insisted I bring in the Scamp because they wanted to verify the ID (Should be stamped on the top of the metal frame forward of the propane tanks along with the Date of Manufacture). Also, make sure to bring the DMV paperwork for PTI so you only pay a small fee once every 5 or so years instead of annually -- as long as trailer is 16' or less. This saves a bundle on registration fees. Also, print out the definition of PTI showing your trailer qualifies. The AAA person I got debated with me saying if it had a kitchen it didn't qualify -- which was totally wrong. Finally, her manager corrected her. Also, bring in the Scamp factory registration and bill of sale from Scamp. You can also email Scamp and they will email you any necessary paperwork. I would avoid the DMV.
Gavin L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:42 PM   #3

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
California late fees are excessive . Hopefully you registered it today. I don't know if triple A is open tomorrow. You can generally pay an estimated fee and avoid penalties if you don't have all of the paper work. They will need to see the trailer.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
AAA is the way to go
Make an appointment
Bring the trailer
Documents
And like others have said get PTI plates
Easy peezie
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Guess this is why our small town is being bought up by CA refugees...

The billboard says, “Don’t Californify Arizona!” I had to explain it to my wife, who is from California.

One of the best things Arizona did was set up an information station in every MVD office. You don’t have to wait in line half the day just to find out what you’re supposed to do. Friendliness of the person at the information desk varies, but since they don’t process any actual business, they don’t have quite the suspicious, guilty-until-proven-innocent demeanor of the agents who do. Of course COVID affected in-person operations.

You have my sympathies.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
AAA is the way to go
Make an appointment
Bring the trailer
Documents
And like others have said get PTI plates
Easy peezie
Someone at AAA said I have to go to DMV? Because it involves creating a title. Really surprised me. I thought AAA could do all that. Am I getting the runaround?
Old 04-12-2021, 08:39 AM   #7

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
Someone at AAA said I have to go to DMV? Because it involves creating a title. Really surprised me. I thought AAA could do all that. Am I getting the runaround?
I had that happen when the Casita I purchased had Florida plates on it. AAA would only register CA to CA. Maybe I got the run around too? But that was my experience.

Also, as mentioned get the PTI plates. That means your 13' Scamp has to be designated as a "Camp Trailer". Any other designation will initiate yearly fees for your tags.

Sometimes the DMV will ask if you want a title $19 or $22 thereabouts. Getting in the PTI doesn't require a title, but I suggest strongly that you get it....even though this trip to DMV will feel expensive. It will avoid selling and/or transferring hassles in the future.

You will have to pay sales tax on this first visit to the DMV as well, didn't want you to be alarmed.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:39 PM   #8

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
friends of mine just registered their 16' with AAA. She made sure to print out all the rules to get it registered with the permanent trailer plate, which is only 30-40 bucks then 5 dollars every 5 years. People whine about how much CA is but that is even cheaper than my already cheap VA registration (25 a year). I know she had to battle a little with the AAA person who clearly did not know the rules and wanted to register it as a regular trailer (anything over 16 feet, plus some other restrictions) So make sure you figure out where your trailer falls.
Scott Corsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #9

California
PTI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
I had that happen when the Casita I purchased had Florida plates on it. AAA would only register CA to CA. Maybe I got the run around too? But that was my experience.

Also, as mentioned get the PTI plates. That means your 13' Scamp has to be designated as a "Camp Trailer". Any other designation will initiate yearly fees for your tags.

Sometimes the DMV will ask if you want a title $19 or $22 thereabouts. Getting in the PTI doesn't require a title, but I suggest strongly that you get it....even though this trip to DMV will feel expensive. It will avoid selling and/or transferring hassles in the future.

You will have to pay sales tax on this first visit to the DMV as well, didn't want you to be alarmed.
Thanks. Good advice.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #10

California
I am going tomorrow. I let you know how it goes.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:01 AM   #11

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
California
There are no "penalties" or "late fees" on an initial title/registration. California DMV can only enforce those once the vehicle is in their system & the registration has lapsed. He will only have to pay title fee (if he wants a physical title) & the PTI registration fee. Also, I do not know if DMV will try to collect tax based on the price/value of the trailer when transfer of ownership takes place.
area52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:08 AM   #12

Name: Tonya
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.5 Gaucho (07) Our "replacement" for our burned 05!
California
FWIW, our AAA (California) couldn’t register an out-of-state Bigfoot we’d purchased used from Arizona
Tonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #13

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Snoozy II
California
I just registered mine in California in January following delivery. All the previous comments and advice are great. Check your local AAA first. I live in the Antelope Valley and my local AAA would not register the brand new rig and told me I had to have it registered and inspected at the DMV. Only because it was new and was from out of state. So check ahead of time.
Ahneema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:32 AM   #14

Trailer: 1990 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You will most likely have to take the Scamp into the DMV. (They told us we didn't, but then said we did and we had to go back another day.) We have an older one that was on the yearly registration and wanted to change to the 5 year sticker (much cheaper!). The clerk wasn't familiar. The supervisor argued with us for a *long time* and then agreed to send paperwork in to Sacramento. In the end, we got the registration changed to 5 year, but it sure was a hassle! This was a few years ago, so I hope it goes smoothly for you.
Maggie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:33 AM   #15

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Another vote for AAA. As to whether a DMV visit is required: not all AAA offices have personnel trained to do all that is necessary. For instance, in Ventura County, the only office I've used for new registrations of out-of-state vehicles (including travel trailers, boats, or a car with no pink slip/title ) is the Ventura office on Victoria Ave.
CA rules: once a vehicle (trailer is a non-motorized "vehicle"!) enters CA, you have 20 days to register.
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 10:36 AM   #16
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
registering

good that your sought advice. I insured my new 13’ Scamp with Safeco, in CA $167.00. Look in your Scamp packet, there is a “manufacturer’s certificate of origin” from Scamp, you’ll need that, it shows you own the Scamp. In MA “you can do it all online.”. I guess I should have been able to if only the insurer or RMV had told me what I needed to bring with me. anyway, good that you’re getting all that advice. it will save you multiple headaches. I’m going back to the RMV for my 3rd trip to try to get it done here in MA.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #17

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
California
Registry
CA AAA vs. DMV

Comments about registering trailers previously registered in another state are irrelevant...
A brand new unit will have a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin. If your local AAA office will handle the transaction, that’s the way to go. Either way, a new vehicle from out of state requires a physical inspection and verification of VIN. You’ll also pay the local sales tax rate based on the address it’s registered at. Have the Certificate and your your bill of sale to show the purchase price. My Long Beach AAA visit was as smooth as could be.
billeldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
AAA works wonders for us

Maybe it depends upon your office? Our local has done all sorts of great things for us, not the least has been transfering title from out of state on a LONG out of system vintage car project. They did the VIN plate inspection there, took care of all the paperwork, and we walked out with everything we needed (except the actual new title which DMV mailed to us). There are some things they CAN'T do, but the only one we've been stuck on was a registration in our name for a car we've never owned (never even owned one of the same make). DMV sent us a delinquency notice. I tried to straighten it out at AAA. They sent me to DMV saying they couldn't rectify DMV mistakes. Got to DMV, waited 2 hours for my appointment (what's the point of an appointment, then?) only to be told - oh yea, we already took care of that. REALLY! You can send me a notice threatening me about a vehicle I don't know, but you CAN'T send me a notice of correction? Or call? It's not like they don't know how to find us all. (SMH!)

Anyhooooooo...I hope AAA did the trick for you.

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:54 AM   #19

California
I didn't end up going last week. I am gonna go to the DMV on Wed or Thurs hopefully. Thanks all for the great advice! I guess some AAA offices can do it? (Long Beach) But maybe most cannot? Anyway, we are going to try the DMV. I'll bring bill of sale and cert of origin. We keep it in a different county from where we live. Hope that goes okay. (Both in CA)
Old 04-18-2021, 07:57 AM   #20

California
Do we need insurance for the Scamp? How does that work?

Tags
scamp