Registration Problems for 71 Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 1971 13 ft Trillium / 04 Honda Element
Send a message via AIM to carlyi
Registration Problems for 71 Trillium

Hi everyone
Bought my 71 Trillium last August and we are finally ready to register it. Now NY State DMV tells me I do not have the proper paperwork to register because the trailer came from Canada. We purchased the camper from our friends in Toronto who drove it down to us. I guess there was paperwork they needed to get at customs. I lied to the person at DMV and said they came down to camp and couldn't bring the camper back because an axle broke so sold it to me. She refered me to customs who told me to tow the camper back to Canada(how the heck can I do that without plates) or destroy it(yeah right) Has anyone had a problem like this before?
carlyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyi View Post
Hi everyone
Bought my 71 Trillium last August and we are finally ready to register it. Now NY State DMV tells me I do not have the proper paperwork to register because the trailer came from Canada. We purchased the camper from our friends in Toronto who drove it down to us. I guess there was paperwork they needed to get at customs. I lied to the person at DMV and said they came down to camp and couldn't bring the camper back because an axle broke so sold it to me. She refered me to customs who told me to tow the camper back to Canada(how the heck can I do that without plates) or destroy it(yeah right) Has anyone had a problem like this before?
I kind of had an issue like this with an old cargo trailer I bought from a guy in Wisconsin. I had no paperwork or title when the trailer was sold to me because the previous owner did not have it. Nor was he required to have it because in Wisconsin single axle trailers do not need to be registered or have plates like NYS requires.
So I got it registered in NY by going in the back door and here is how:

Take your trailer to a local Dump and have it weighed on the scale.
They will give you a slip with the trailer weight on it and a certified stamp.
Next take this sheet to the DMV and apply for a "homebuilt" trailer registration. They will assign you a Homebuilt VIN number for the trailer and plates.
You will also have to have it inspected and that is running $6 now.

If anyone asks, you built it!

Chris
Christopher Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
And you might want to go to a different DMV

Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post

Amen to that! Or get on the phone to them til you get the answer you want and save the conact name and cite the the info so you can give it to the local DMV.

"Importing" trailers can be a nightmare. I would go with getting a home built title or can your friends from Toronto help you out?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 1971 13 ft
Registry
Carlyi, if you get the proper paperwork I can't see it being a problem...unless your friends don't have it hear in Canada. Other wise you'd have to go threw a bunch of hoops i think. I bought a utility trailer once without ownership & had to get it weigh, color, serial # & a few other things..... it was a big headache. I had an old plate from when my dad passed & just put that on. How was I going to get it to the scales as they wanted...not too sure how strict they are down there in the USA....best of luck to you a fellow 1971.

Paul
Paul Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post

Actually, I did what the lady at the DMV recommended me to do..
Christopher Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
To import a Canadian trailer into the USA you need; Bill of Sale, Certificate of Origin, US DOT form HS-7, Dept. of Homeland Security form 7501, & NVIS. US Customs must stamp the Bill of Sale or the 1701 at the Port of Entry. This information came from Escape Trailers.
Tom Trostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #8

Problem solved! I guess it helps that my father is pretty connected. I have a date with DMV tomorrow and everything will be fine...thank god!!!

But Tom is right. that is all the paperwork that I was told I needed. I had no clue how I was going to do this in 3 days!!!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #9

Name: sherry
Trailer: Traveleze
Alaska
I had a friend with the same issue when they purchased a cargo trailer from a couple in canada. They ended up finding a lady at the DMV after several trips that decided she'd go above and beyond. The lady called around and got the paper work for them, but they had to fill it out and get the seller's to fill out their portion. They were able to do it through fax and mail in the originals. Might want to try that route.

I'm having issues right now with the title of my pacer. We purchased it recently and they said during the inspection that the title does not match the VIN on the trailer. The year, and make are correct....I believe. the issue we're having is that it's registered and titled in CA and we live in NV so they told us they won't do anything until I get CA to straighten it out. I'm not sure what's going to happen but I hope it works out I have a lot of camping to do this summer.
highlandsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:59 AM   #10

So I am fully registered as a 71 Trillium. Found out yesterday that this wasn't a problem at all. All I needed was the bill of sale, sales tax form and registration info for DMV. The man I talked to has worked at our DMV for 35 years and says he has only seen maybe 4 of these trailers come across his desk.

Tags
registration, title, trillium