Regulate Inflator Air Pressure? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2021, 08:55 PM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Regulate Inflator Air Pressure?

Is there a regulator that will allow me to limit the amount of air pressure a tire-inflator will deliver?

I want to winterize my Casita by blowing out the lines instead of running RV antifreeze through them, but don't want to over-pressurize them. I have a Viair 90 12-volt inflator, but of course it does not stop at 20 or 40 psi (or whatever the safe limit is—anyone know?). A dedicated air compressor will allow me to set a pressure limit. But I noticed at Harbor Freight that there are inexpensive pressure regulators for compressors, which led me to wonder whether any would work on inflators. Doesn't look like they have the right connectors.

I can buy a low-end compressor, but have no air-driven tools or other need for one.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Yes many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Is there a regulator that will allow me to limit the amount of air pressure a tire-inflator will deliver?
I can buy a low-end compressor, but have no air-driven tools or other need for one.
I put this together to have a higher quality. Others will recommend other options. Also note that some compressors have a regulator on them. Most plumbing departments will have what you need to modify one.Search "snifter valve".
Attached Thumbnails
Air regulator.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:14 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Buy a air compressor that has a tank (10 to 12 gallons) and a pressure regulator. You need a volume of air to blow out the water lines. A little inflator won't do it. Or pay someone to do it for you.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Open the water faucets and the pressure will not build up.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #5

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Buy a air compressor that has a tank (10 to 12 gallons) and a pressure regulator. You need a volume of air to blow out the water lines. A little inflator won't do it. Or pay someone to do it for you.
The OP has a excellent compressor already that will work fine for him.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #6

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
amazon has a viair RV winterization kit for your compressor
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:40 AM   #7

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
OPEN SYSTEM

Your blowing out all liquids so you have the fill and dump opening valves OPEN. AKA no pressure will build up. I have used these fitting to blow out my house sewer lines . So I am "blowing" 2500 lb psi water pressure washer thru pvc. Never had a problem . We set the houses water plumping to drain with gravity (do add antifreeze to the ptraps though as I am too lazy to disconnect to drain...) but the sewer lines I clean end of season to no puddles stand to freeze. I keep the camper in FLA so non issue there.

https://www.amazon.com/Rotating-Stai...X96&srpt=VALVE
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:09 PM   #8

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
amazon has a viair RV winterization kit for your compressor
The Viair winterization kit requires the Viair compressor model 400P-RV or higher, according to Viair. I have only the Viair P90 tire-inflation compressor. That's what I was asking about.

The 400P compressor runs $300-400.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #9

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Open the water faucets and the pressure will not build up.
I'm going by a 'Casita—How to Winterize Your Travel Trailer' video someone linked on the Casita Forum. Just found it again:

It's good. The host recommends pressurizing the system no more than 20-30 psi with all the valves shut, and then blowing out one valve (faucet) at a time. He has a small portable compressor (no tank) with two dials, one which enables you set the maximum pressure. My Viair 90P tire inflator has only one dial. That's why I am looking for a regulator.

Guess I could get an adaptor from the inflator to the city-water inlet (which he says Casita sells) and just go one valve at a time but not pressurize the system first. Would that work?

Old 10-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #10

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
The OP has a excellent compressor already that will work fine for him.
I take it that he has a little tire inflator, like plugs into the 12 volt cigarette lighter. No tank to get any volume of air. I wouldn't call that a excellent compressor, but without a photo we are both guessing.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:20 PM   #11

Massachusetts
Quote:
I take it that he has a little tire inflator, like plugs into the 12 volt cigarette lighter. No tank to get any volume of air. I wouldn't call that a excellent compressor, but without a photo we are both guessing.
The Viair 90P is 12v, but attaches to the car (or trailer) battery, as its 23A is too much for the cigarette lighter circuit. I got it because the little plug-in ones don't go high enough for trailer tires:

https://www.amazon.com/VIAIR-90P-Por.../dp/B001MXL71A

The more powerful models that Viair recommends for use with their Winterization kit (the P400+) are also tankless. In fact, they recommend against tank-type compressors for winterizing because they can introduce oil or other contaminants into the pipes.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:53 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
In fact, they recommend against tank-type compressors for winterizing because they can introduce oil or other contaminants into the pipes.
Unless the compressor is an oil-less compressor. Did they mention that?
Old 10-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #13

New York
[QUOTE=Mr Lynn; In fact, they recommend against tank-type compressors for winterizing because they can introduce oil or other contaminants into the pipes.[/QUOTE]

I have a separator / filter mounted next to one of my tank type compressors, mainly needed for automotive painting to filter out any contaminants, but good for winterizing too.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:40 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The small Viar compressors are not well suited to blowing out a water system because they have such a small volume and no tank.

It's the constant velocity of the air that really dries the lines out, and that can only be achieved with more power and/or a tank.

Even a 1 HP compressor is a bit small, but with a tank, works fine. And tank type air compressors already have regulators built into them.

A 1 or 2 HP oil-less model, shop compressor is nearly perfect. I've used various models of these for years to blow my trailers out and never had a problem with freezing or contaminants. No reason to over think this simple process, but you do need sustained air velocity that a tank and a larger compressor will provide. The faucets will spit water out with the air for several minutes.

The compressed air does not clear the water pump, so it needs to run dry for several minutes to rid itself of water, or install a tee and valve in front of it for the air compressor port.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:45 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Unless the compressor is an oil-less compressor. Did they mention that?
I prefer anti-freeze so gave this one to SIL.
Attached Thumbnails
compressor.jpg  
Old 10-25-2021, 09:54 PM   #16

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
The small Viar compressors are not well suited to blowing out a water system because they have such a small volume and no tank.

It's the constant velocity of the air that really dries the lines out, and that can only be achieved with more power and/or a tank.

Even a 1 HP compressor is a bit small, but with a tank, works fine. And tank type air compressors already have regulators built into them.

A 1 or 2 HP oil-less model, shop compressor is nearly perfect. I've used various models of these for years to blow my trailers out and never had a problem with freezing or contaminants. No reason to over think this simple process, but you do need sustained air velocity that a tank and a larger compressor will provide. The faucets will spit water out with the air for several minutes.

The compressed air does not clear the water pump, so it needs to run dry for several minutes to rid itself of water, or install a tee and valve in front of it for the air compressor port.
Thanks; that's some information to the point. Harbor Freight has some low-end tank compressors. Three gallon ⅓ hp large enough? Casita doesn't have long runs of pipe.

Old 10-26-2021, 05:40 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Lynn,

That one is pretty small, and you know, of course, that Harbor Freight makes wild HP claims about their stuff that is way off. A bit bigger would be better, but with a tank, that one would do it.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:10 AM   #18

New York
Like Raspy says, with a constant flow of air from a tank type compressor water will spit out for several minutes. One of my compressors is a little Sears with a 3 gallon tank. I just have it in the basement for occasional use when tinkering on little jobs.Too small for blowing out the Casita for me. I used the compressor in my garage to blow out the lines, it has a 13 gallon horizontal tank, is on wheels, and provides a good constant flow of air when set on 35 psi. I've also used another compressor that has a 10 gallon tank, both worked fine for winterizing.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:28 AM   #19

Massachusetts
Quote:
Like Raspy says, with a constant flow of air from a tank type compressor water will spit out for several minutes. One of my compressors is a little Sears with a 3 gallon tank. I just have it in the basement for occasional use when tinkering on little jobs.Too small for blowing out the Casita for me. I used the compressor in my garage to blow out the lines, it has a 13 gallon horizontal tank, is on wheels, and provides a good constant flow of air when set on 35 psi. I've also used another compressor that has a 10 gallon tank, both worked fine for winterizing.
Howdy Bob– Been browsing online, and I'm thinking maybe this 6-gallon Porter-Cable at Home Depot would be enough for the job:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...3&gclsrc=3p.ds

Looks like the one Glenn gave away.

Reviews say tanks on air compressors have 'expiration dates'. Is that something to worry about? —LEJ

Old 10-30-2021, 10:20 AM   #20

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape Trailer Industries 5.0TA
Missouri
Your can also use the same water pressure regulator that you attach to your camper and use an air hose fitting like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Brass-C...dDbGljaz10cnVl
skipperclyde is offline   Reply With Quote