Remove Floor Carpet in a 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2019, 08:20 AM   #1

Name: KoyD
Trailer: SCAMP 13
North Carolina
Remove Floor Carpet in a 13' Scamp

Hello all Scamp Owner,
I Just bought a 2002 Scamp 13' and I want to remove the old floor carpet in the Scamp, but don't know where and how to start ? I want to put in something that is like self stick laminated floor or something that is water proof and easy to clean. Any body have any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
NCBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I replaced the carpet in my 1999 Scamp 13. I liked the results.

1) Removing the old carpet is the most difficult part of the project, since it is glued down to the floor and the foam backing partially disintegrates during removal. I found the easiest way was to use a utility knife (replace the blades often) to cut the carpet into about 18" strips and also cut the carpet around the benches. Another alternative is to remove the benches which is normally not too difficult. My trailer had some minor modification done to it previously that make that a much more difficult proposition.

Start at one end, and pull the carpet strip up while using a hand held floor scraper (available at Home Depot in the flooring department) in the other hand to loosen the glue/foam where it sticks to the floor.

2) Once all the carpet and most of the glue/foam is out, I used a small belt sander to remove the remaining glue/foam residue. The floor must be smooth or the imperfections will show through the new vinyl flooring.

3) Use this stage to do a thorough inspection of the condition of the wood floor. I found a soft area by the door, apparently from a leaky door prior to my ownership. At first I thought I could just use a hardener, but decided to replace this small section of floor. It was a pain, but not impossible with my limited construction experience. If you are well versed, it should be a very easy project. Gave great peace of mind, knowing that the entire floor was in good shape prior to re-covering it.

4) I installed the Home Depot adhesive strip Allure flooring. VERY easy once you get started, and it held up very well for two years until I sold the trailer.

Good luck on your project, any other questions, just ask.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBOY View Post
Hello all Scamp Owner,
I Just bought a 2002 Scamp 13' and I want to remove the old floor carpet in the Scamp, but don't know where and how to start ? I want to put in something that is like self stick laminated floor or something that is water proof and easy to clean. Any body have any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
It usually easier than you think Take a razor knife around the edge then simply scrape it up with a wide scraper, an old pancake turner works great.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #4

Name: KoyD
Trailer: SCAMP 13
North Carolina
Thank you- Lyle, for the advice and for the step by step process. I know it was a hard and challenging process for you to go through all that work, and I appreciate the fact that you told me this. Thank you very much.
NCBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:14 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13(sold!) & TDI tugboat
Ohio
There's a little bit of a write-up on my Scamp13 revival thread. Starts around post #48.

Scamp13 in Ohio

Tags
scamp