Removing Coleman Furnace - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
I was reading an older post from back in May on the fiberglassRV forum where a member wanted to remove the furnace in his Trillium. I have done a search on this forum but have not had any luck finding out the information or if somebody could link me up to where it has been discussed before would be very helpfull. I started on mine yesterday as I want to get better access to the wiring running front to rear. I have removed the outer "trim" around the furnace with a couple of smaller screws and then 4 larger screws around the outside that hold the furnace into the fiberglass. Also disconnected the gas line into the unit. It doesn't budge now. My outer back cover is riveted to the outer skin so I didn't want to start taking out rivets if it is not going to help me. Was wondering if there was any info about removing these furnaces. The fridge doesn't look any easier to remove either.
Thanks...Don
Attached Thumbnails
Coleman_furnace_1A.jpg   Furnace_cover_1A.jpg  

Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Only thing I have to say is my heater (out of my scamp trailer) was bolted to the floor as well.....lucky for me I had access from the cupboard door beside it but I thought I would mention this to you......hardley helpful as far as a "how to"....but more of a here is what happened to mine

Quote:
I was reading an older post from back in May on the fiberglassRV forum where a member wanted to remove the furnace in his Trillium. I have done a search on this forum but have not had any luck finding out the information or if somebody could link me up to where it has been discussed before would be very helpfull. I started on mine yesterday as I want to get better access to the wiring running front to rear. I have removed the outer "trim" around the furnace with a couple of smaller screws and then 4 larger screws around the outside that hold the furnace into the fiberglass. Also disconnected the gas line into the unit. It doesn't budge now. My outer back cover is riveted to the outer skin so I didn't want to start taking out rivets if it is not going to help me. Was wondering if there was any info about removing these furnaces. The fridge doesn't look any easier to remove either.
Thanks...Don
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well there's this one Remove furnace written by Patricia Baxter

Maybe something in the Document Center will help?
Furnace Manuals. But, I bet a Trillium owner will jump in to give you guidance!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Well there's this one Remove furnace written by Patricia Baxter

Maybe something in the Document Center will help?
Furnace Manuals. But, I bet a Trillium owner will jump in to give you guidance!
Donna, is that the correct link? It comes up about the Trillium sink. There is a little bit about the furnace, only a couple of lines. Does Patricia have all her notes on a seperate site?
Thanks..Don
Old 11-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #5

No Don, that's what I found. What I wanted you to notice was:
"removing the old furnace took about 10 minutes to find all the screws and another 10 to actually wiggle the front off the back and remove it. "

Unfortunately that's it and in checking Barbara hasn't been logged into FiberglassRV for more than two months and her e-mail is set to private.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #6

Hummm, maybe Daniel can help the next time he logs in? Trillium 1300 Furnace removal
Old 11-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
If my middle age memory still works this unit has a tricky exhaust air intake combination telescoping tube typical for its era...Its the same set up as the old Acorn Scamp models, The screws also need to be removed on the outside of the coach and the tube assembly should slip out freeing up slack for the inside assemblies release...Some evil installers used sheet metal screws reachable thru the cabinet works locking the telescoping flue together making it ridgid...These screws were to lock the tubes together and I have found in more than on one job a screw run straight thru the back of the outer shell just off the heat exchanger into supporting cabinet works. Please let me know by posting what you find as I am now curious? The furnace is sandwiched using the flue and the outer wall tensioned against the cabinet.

Harry

Quote:
Thanks...Don
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #8

Quote:
If my middle age memory still works this unit has a tricky exhaust air intake combination telescoping tube typical for its era...Its the same set up as the old Acorn Scamp models, The screws also need to be removed on the outside of the coach and the tube assembly should slip out freeing up slack for the inside assemblies release...Some evil installers used sheet metal screws reachable thru the cabinet works locking the telescoping flue together making it ridgid...These screws were to lock the tubes together and I have found in more than on one job a screw run straight thru the back of the outer shell just off the heat exchanger into supporting cabinet works. Please let me know by posting what you find as I am now curious? The furnace is sandwiched using the flue and the outer wall tensioned against the cabinet.

Harry

Thanks Harry. I was hoping to not have to drill out the rivets holding the back screen in place on the outer wall. But it makes sense with what you are saying, I was just trying to convince myself that I wouldn't have to do it this way.. Maybe next weekend if it gets a little warmer and stops snowing any time soon...

Tags
furnace