Removing dealer decals - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2022, 11:51 AM   #21

Name: DANIEL
Trailer: Trillium
GOODYEAR
They make a rubber wheel that you mount in a drill to remove graphics and stickers. I believe Harbor Freight even has them. Most auto body supply stores carry them. Amazon too.
Dbasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:55 AM   #22

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggcentric View Post
Unfortunately the decals will leave a shadow, which is very difficult to remove because the gel coat has oxidized and the areas under the decals will be a different color. We returned a brand new 5th wheel because after a year the decals that the factory installed then removed and re installed using different decals left a shadow that they tried grinding out and repainting it did not work.
A very good point to consider. Mine wasn’t really a different colour but was raised where the decals had been- especially the middle stripe and 4500
# on my trillium. I suppose it would be the lesser of two evils based on individual taste.
Nanph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:56 AM   #23

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbasdan View Post
They make a rubber wheel that you mount in a drill to remove graphics and stickers. I believe Harbor Freight even has them. Most auto body supply stores carry them. Amazon too.
Getting the decals off is easy, fixing the difference in color on the gelcoat is very difficult.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:05 PM   #24

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanph View Post
A very good point to consider. Mine wasn’t really a different colour but was raised where the decals had been- especially the middle stripe and 4500
# on my trillium. I suppose it would be the lesser of two evils based on individual taste.
On our trailer Peak Industries made two brands, frontier and vanguard, they built it as one and then to put it into the RV show they swapped the decals because the dealer was Vanguard, then once the trailer had spent a winter in AZ, you could see the shadows. They tried to get rid of the shadow because the resale value was nil,
"what brand is this, are you cheating trying to pass it off as a higher quality rig than you bought" etc.
I am told that the factory shipped a new nose to the dealer, but they did nothing about the sides and rear.
Hope the new owner is OK with it.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:29 PM   #25

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I stripped all the stripes off a Casita using a cheap heat gun from Harbor Freight.
An old credit card makes a good scraper but doesn't gouge the fiberglass.
Either mineral spirit or Glue Gone will remove adhesive residue.

I have taken dealer stickers off my car much the same way.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:55 AM   #26

Name: Harold
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Not providing free advertising for dealerships.

A few years back I ordered a new Ford Ranger. (One of the last to be made in 2011.) In my contract with the dealership I had stipulated that there be no decals or advertising anywhere on the truck or our contract would be null and void. I also stipulated that I didn't want the typical Ford decal identifying it as a "Sport 4X4" on it either. When the truck finally arrived at the dealership I saw the "Sport 4X4" decal on it and had the dealership manager called. I showed him my copy of our agreement and if he wanted final payment he would have to meet the contract stipulations. He immediately had his body-shop department use a heat gun to remove it. Later, I tossed the dealership's plastic license plate holder in the recycling bin. I am in total agreement... why should you be providing free advertising for them? Besides, it looks much cleaner and sleeker without the decals. I have a lovely refurbished 1977 Trillium. The "Trillium" flower symbol is part of the structure of the door... all that's needed for anyone to figure out it's maker.
Harold S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:20 AM   #27

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Wisconsin
Acetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Besides the heat gun, a plastic razor blade is very helpful to coax decals loose.

It is likely that the color you're seeing is not paint but tint in the outer gelcoat layer. Common cleaners like acetone or Goo-Gone should be safe.

Please do not assume acetone is anything like GooGone! Acetone has the potential to do harm, unless you're very skilled at doing things like that I would say stay away! GooGone will get the job done. Gel coat and clear coat are very similar, the differences are in fiberglass, they paint the mold first in reverse order when compared to painting your car.
bigangelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin