Removing dealer decals - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2022, 11:26 AM   #1

Name: Neil
Trailer: Outback
Ontario
Removing dealer decals

We own a 2019 Trillium Outback that is bedazzled with dealer decals. I'm tempted to remove them but curious how to do so without damaging the paint underneath.

I've done this same operation on a car previously using a heat gun and patience. Should the same apply to fibreglass paint? And what about residues, will goo gone be safe?
neilff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:30 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
When we purchased the 2020 Scamp, the dealer replaced the Scamp tire cover with one of their's. I went to the Scamp factory to have some things added, and they, very kindly gave me a Scamp cover to replace the dealer one; however, the one I was given will not fit the 15” tires of my Scamp. Back to the topic of this thread, I see no reason to not use the same approach as with dealing with a steel bodied car. I don't believe that Goo Gone will effect Gell Coat.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #3

Ontario
Cool - I'll give it a spot test in an inconspicuous place before I go wild. Just want to make sure I'm not doing anything entirely foolish before hand.
Old 05-24-2022, 12:53 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Besides the heat gun, a plastic razor blade is very helpful to coax decals loose.

It is likely that the color you're seeing is not paint but tint in the outer gelcoat layer. Common cleaners like acetone or Goo-Gone should be safe.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
First thing I did when I picked up my trailer was to peel every stinking decal off of it. They are not paying me any royalties to advertise their products, so why should I? I think they are ugly and ruin the lines of the trailer, just me. I even threw out their crummy ugly advertisement spare tire cover. In fact, I don't even carry the spare on the trailer either, to prevent wearing a black ring into the fiberglass gel coat. It now lives in my pickup when we travel, I didn't want to eventually wind up with any "ghost shadows" on my fiberglass of old peeling decals down the road. Funny thing, when those decals were brand new they just peeled right off with my fingernail. I think it looks a lot better and "cleaner" without all that unsolicited garbage all over it like grafitti.
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail1.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:57 PM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
First thing I did when I picked up my trailer was to peel every stinking decal off of it. They are not paying me any royalties to advertise their products, so why should I?.
Amen to that, exactly my thinking. The extra wheel cover is a whole other level, its got the dealers email, phone number, address on it...
Old 05-24-2022, 01:38 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilff View Post
Amen to that, exactly my thinking. The extra wheel cover is a whole other level, its got the dealers email, phone number, address on it...
If you don't mind being a free rolling billboard ad for them, and that you don't make a Nickel from them for doing their advertising, I guess that's OK. Not for me though...

This is where I carry my spare now. Easy to get to, takes up minimal space, and doesn't rub against my gelcoat.
Attached Thumbnails
Spare_bracket2.jpg   Spare_bracket1.jpg  

Old 05-24-2022, 01:39 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
If you don't mind being a free rolling billboard ad for them, and that you don't make a Nickel from them for doing their advertising, I guess that's OK. Not for me though...
What's on your tow vehicle? Any branding there?
Old 05-24-2022, 01:43 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Just the usual brand medallions, but NO STINKING DECALS!!!!
Old 05-24-2022, 01:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
WD40 and a plastic scraper will remove the residue from the decals. It will also aid the heat gun while removing the larger sections. Nice looking trailer by the way.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
“If a man never contradicts himself, the reason must be that he virtually never says anything at all.”
― Erwin Schrödinger
Old 05-24-2022, 02:02 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
One needn't shout, especially if not totally pure.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:03 PM   #13

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
1. Life Member - Veterans of Foreign Wars
2. Life Member - Disabled American Veteran
3. Survivor **** Creek Canoe Club - been up and back, no paddle
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:49 AM   #14

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
IMHO*. In hindsight, if I were I to order a new trailer I would require that they NOT install the decals in the first place. Yes, the trailer looks cleaner and more refined without them.

*IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 01:09 PM   #15

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
IMHO*. In hindsight, if I were I to order a new trailer I would require that they NOT install the decalsthey in the first place. Yes, the trailer looks cleaner and more refined without them.

*IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
But do you realize what they have to pay for national advertising? But they don't pay us, or give us a discount any where near that!!! That want to put a advertising decaL on my trailer, they have to pay!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:48 PM   #16

Name: jagbor
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
we have a 1973 Trillium 1300 that I am pretty sure had original decals on it! I went to an automotive store like Lordco or Napa and there is a hard plastic wheel (about 4-5" in diameter) that fits onto a drill......it removed all decals in seconds but it did cost $65 Cdn. I tried the razor blade option but it is very slow and has potential to damage the fibreglass!
JuliusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:03 AM   #17

Arizona
Registry
I'm happy to have my trailer wear the Scamp logo and to serve as a brand ambassador when we're stopped. If I were buying a new trailer, I'd skip the oversized factory badging in favor of smaller versions sold on the website.

When I removed the cracked and fading decals on my used Scamp, there was significant ghosting in the gelcoat, so I elected to replace them with the same larger "Scamp" logo (minus the stripes), but in gold to match my tow vehicle. Travel decals hide ghosting on the gravel guard. Decided to have fun there, since the whole thing can be replaced if a future owner wants a clean slate.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	146045

Plastic razor blades are softer than the gelcoat and I have not experienced any damage from their use. I did, however, have a problem with the 3M Stripe-Off wheel. The red ink on my Scamp decals was powdery from UV exposure and smeared into the pores of the surrounding gelcoat, leaving pinkish stains that would not completely buff out.

So back to the blade. It was tedious with older, dried-out decals, but the blade left no residue. Newer decals should only need the blade to lift a corner and, once started with heat applied, peel off in one piece.

When it comes to tow vehicles, I've always removed dealer decals from every vehicle I have purchased. I have yet to find a dealer for whom I'm willing to serve as an ambassador.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:45 AM   #18
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
Smile

I have had great success by leaving the camper sit in the sun till good and hot, starting on a corner with a fingernail, pull and then pour mineral spirits behind the decal to release the adhesive. No damage, no sticky residue.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:10 AM   #19

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
http://https://www.princessauto.com/...t/PA0008570970Buy a decal remover wheel. They sell them on Amazon but cheaper from princess Auto. It’s like one of those old art erasers that spins on a drill. They don’t cause any damage to the trailer paint. It’s pretty satisfying to watch those decals come off.
Nanph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:49 AM   #20

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilff View Post
We own a 2019 Trillium Outback that is bedazzled with dealer decals. I'm tempted to remove them but curious how to do so without damaging the paint underneath.

I've done this same operation on a car previously using a heat gun and patience. Should the same apply to fibreglass paint? And what about residues, will goo gone be safe?
Unfortunately the decals will leave a shadow, which is very difficult to remove because the gel coat has oxidized and the areas under the decals will be a different color. We returned a brand new 5th wheel because after a year the decals that the factory installed then removed and re installed using different decals left a shadow that they tried grinding out and repainting it did not work.

Tags
vin