Removing Dometic 1.9 CF Frig - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2021, 04:59 AM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: scamp
KS
Removing Dometic 1.9 CF Frig

Greetings, I would like to replace the Dometic Frig in my 2016 13' Scamp. The things I do not like about it: no freezer and no temp control. I purchased an AC small frig which I plan on it running off a solar setup / 100 amp/hr lithium battery. AC frig uses only 5 amps vs. 11 amps for the Dometic. I started to remove the Dometic but I have a question on what secures it in the back of frig. Are there screws holding it? Also, I noticed there are 2 rivets below the pull out drawer above the frig. Any help appreciated.
jgwilly54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:17 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If it is like our 2000 16 ft dlx. with the stove top above the fridge.
You have to remove the stove to get at the top of the fridge.
there is a baffle seled with metal duct tape, screwed to the top of the fridge,
and may also have a similar baffle along the side(s)
that is all to seal off the back part of fridge from the inside of the Scamp.
I don't recall if there are any screws at the outside back.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #3

KS
Thank you. I will try your suggestion.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:39 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
While you only asked for help in removing the fridge.. I have a habit of reading between the lines. And when I read between the lines of your post I come up with some questions and wonder if you might be making a mistake.

1. Is your current fridge an absorption fridge? (Model number?).. if so then it should run on propane while using only a very small amount of electric power, or perhaps none at all. Thats a big plus for off-grid camping.

2. I assume you mean that the fridge uses 11 amps on 12 volt power. That is about 130 watts. A 100 Ah lithium battery would supply around 1000 watt hours and run the fridge for about eight hours. But if the fridge can run on propane then that is what you should do and it would run maybe a month on a 20 lb propane tank with a 100 Ah battery.

3. If your replacement fridge uses 5 amps at 120 volts then that is 600 watts. If it is AC only then you need an inverter and with the average inverter 90% efficiency, that would be 677 watt draw on the battery. That is about 1.5 hours on a 100 Ah lithium battery. Not a good solution.

4. These figures assume 100% duty cycle so actual run time would be longer... but the concept remains. It might not be the solution you seek.

So if you care to.. please provide more details about your current and your planned equipment so that we can make sure it works out as you wish.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:51 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
is that 5 amps AC or DC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwilly54 View Post
Greetings, I would like to replace the Dometic Frig in my 2016 13' Scamp. The things I do not like about it: no freezer and no temp control. I purchased an AC small frig which I plan on it running off a solar setup / 100 amp/hr lithium battery. AC frig uses only 5 amps vs. 11 amps for the Dometic. I started to remove the Dometic but I have a question on what secures it in the back of frig. Are there screws holding it? Also, I noticed there are 2 rivets below the pull out drawer above the frig. Any help appreciated.
AC fridges are rated in AC terms. AFAIK the Dometic uses DC12v and so is rated in DC amps. Big difference.

5 amps * 120v
11 amps * 12v

Also the AC fridge will need to run off of an inverter.

However an AC fridge uses a compressor while the Dometic uses an ammonia heat cycle. What I am saying is you can't just compare amps to amps.

In any event, let us know how the conversion goes.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:52 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The standard fridge on a 13' Scamp is a Dometic 2193. No power needed when run on propane. While it's small and has no freezer, it is probably the best operating absorption fridge especially in hot weather. That said it will not operate as well as a compressor fridge. Nor will it require the electrical overhead. The DC operation is for travel only.

My 2193 is held in place with 6 screw around the door and 2 screws on the back sheet metal below the controls and the gas lines. It is removed into the trailer. From there it depends on the door size.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:38 AM   #7

KS
Thank you for responding. I have a 1000 watt inverter which is attached to the lithium battery. The Dometic does have propane hookup. Using propane along with the AC is an option I might consider rather than removing it.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:53 AM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Thank you for responding. I have a 1000 watt inverter which is attached to the lithium battery. The Dometic does have propane hookup. Using propane along with the AC is an option I might consider rather than removing it.
Unlike the compressor fridge, both AC and DC are connected to heating elements. Fridge is slow to cool. Most folks precool over night on AC. The DC is used mainly for on the road between campgrounds and requires a robust charging system that many vehicles lack. And if you accidentally hit the switch, I will drain your battery quickly. I pulled the fuse on mine!
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:57 AM   #9

North Carolina
Dometic sells absorption fridges (propane or elec) AND 12 volt DC compressor fridges. And Scamp uses different fridges in different years... mine came with one that runs on propane with no elect at all but the ones now installed by Scamp do require a small amount of 12 volt power even when using propane. So model numbers are always helpful.

It can be practical to use a 12 volt compressor fridge (Secomp / Danfoss type prefered) with battery power and solar. However even these highly efficient units will use between 225 and 600 watt-hours a day. Your 100 Ah lithium battery will supply around 1,000 watt hours so if you have solar but have a few days without good sun then the battery will run out. And if you use the battery for other things such as a fan you might be lucky to get one day out of it. I would suggest 200 Ah at a minimum for the 12 volt fridge alone. A 12 volt DC compressor fridge would be better than trying to run a AC fridge with an inverter. And you can get them with a 120 VAC option so its the best of both worlds.. running on battery or on shore power.

Frankly, I would not suggest removing your absorption fridge even though they are temperamental and difficult at times. Instead I would suggest adding second fridge - a portable Scomp/Danfoss compressor fridge that runs on 12 VDC or 120 VAC. A one cubic foot size is about as big as I would want to carry by hand. The size is somewhat limiting but its only a back-up, and it does work as a good freezer if needed (but at closer to 600+ watt-hours a day). Popular brands include IndelB, Truckfridge, Nova Kool, and of course Dometic.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...nd-a-few-tips/
Old 09-28-2021, 09:05 AM   #10

North Carolina
Amen and amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Dometic sells absorption fridges (propane or elec) AND 12 volt DC compressor fridges. And Scamp uses different fridges in different years... mine came with one that runs on propane with no elect at all but the ones now installed by Scamp do require a small amount of 12 volt power even when using propane. So model numbers are always helpful.

It can be practical to use a 12 volt compressor fridge (Secomp / Danfoss type prefered) with battery power and solar. However even these highly efficient units will use between 225 and 600 watt-hours a day. Your 100 Ah lithium battery will supply around 1,000 watt hours so if you have solar but have a few days without good sun then the battery will run out. And if you use the battery for other things such as a fan you might be lucky to get one day out of it. I would suggest 200 Ah at a minimum for the 12 volt fridge alone. A 12 volt DC compressor fridge would be better than trying to run a AC fridge with an inverter. And you can get them with a 120 VAC option so its the best of both worlds.. running on battery or on shore power.

Frankly, I would not suggest removing your absorption fridge even though they are temperamental and difficult at times. Instead I would suggest adding second fridge - a portable Scomp/Danfoss compressor fridge that runs on 12 VDC or 120 VAC. A one cubic foot size is about as big as I would want to carry by hand. The size is somewhat limiting but its only a back-up, and it does work as a good freezer if needed (but at closer to 600+ watt-hours a day). Popular brands include IndelB, Truckfridge, Nova Kool, and of course Dometic.

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...nd-a-few-tips/

You can probably sell your dometic fridge if you decide to go that route. However I also recommend just leaving it in place, assuming that it still works. Then get a DC compressor fridge. The watt rating tends to be between 40 and 60 watts however the good ones are very well insulated and usually cycle on and off. As low as 20% on time to 50% or more on depending on the ambient temp. Rarely 100% on time however.

There are tons of YouTube videos on dc fridge testing with real life power usage. Hobotech does a stellar job.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby123 View Post
.. Then get a DC compressor fridge. The watt rating tends to be between 40 and 60 watts however the good ones are very well insulated and usually cycle on and off. As low as 20% on time to 50% or more on depending on the ambient temp. Rarely 100% on time however.
Yes, and 25% duty cycle at 45 watts is 270 watt hours in one full day, close to what I reported, and a little more than 25% of the capacity of a 100 Ah LifePo4 battery.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #12

North Carolina
More battery

I agree with Gordon, even if you have lithium, 100ah is barely enough, and not enough when you can't charge for awhile. If you only use 25% duty cycle, the fridge will use the whole battery in 4-5 days if you can't recharge.

That is the main advantage of the Dometic using propane. It can go a loooong time on propane.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...pressor+fridge
Old 09-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #13

Name: Anna
Trailer: Trillium
Washington
Quote:
I started to remove the Dometic but I have a question on what secures it in the back of frig. Are there screws holding it? Also, I noticed there are 2 rivets below the pull out drawer above the frig. Any help appreciated.
My husband found that ours was attached to the bottom and he had to use a long bit to cut it out by lifting and cutting it from underneath.
babyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #14

Name: Eva
Trailer: Scamp 13 plus home-built
California
I just removed the Dometic from my 2010 Scamp Deluxe (it had leaked and was inop - I replaced it with the exact same model)
Removal looked real easy from what I could glean from the manual, but proved anything but: (6) screws in front - check; (2) screws in back - nope. It would not budge. So I looked more carefully, found a sheet metal "hood" over the top, with (6) screws, hidden under plumbers tape. Removed all of that. Still it would not budge. And then I spotted it: a bead of what surely was 5200, sealing it against the cabinet to the left of it. I could just get my fingertips on it. Lucky this retired boatbuilder owns an oscillating tool - zipped through it, guided by an ingenious arrangement of mirrors - and voila!
Attached Thumbnails
20210903_143856.jpg  
boardlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin