removing fleck stone spray on paint - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-26-2019, 11:20 AM   #1

Name: Laurie
Trailer: dreamin and a planning
Ontario
removing fleck stone spray on paint

Hi there! We just purchased a Captain trailer and are in the middle of trying to fix some things. Sometime previously the inner cloth lining on the walls and ceiling was removed and these surfaces were sprayed with that textured stone type paint. Some of it is cracking and peeling especially around the curves. I would like to reline the interior with reflextix and some type of vinyl but am not sure if I should remove the stone finish or just try and go over what won't come off???? Does anyone know an easy way to remove this stuff.....any and all suggestions welcome...Laurie

dolltrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #2

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Do not use remover

I have no experience or expertise in this issue, but I can tell you a few things.

Most paint removers would damage the underlying fiberglass. Some that might not, like the citrus based ones, would be very messy and hard to do inside a trailer, because they usually require washing off with water. Plus there is the issue of fumes, but that might be ovecome by using large box fans.

If I ever tried to coat the inside of my Casita, I would consider this: I would aggressively scrape away any loose paint. If there were questionable spots where the paint is not fully adhering to the fiberglass, I would spot-treat them with a paint remover that I had tested to be sure it does not soften or damage the fiberglass. If there are any seams or obviously rough spots, you might feather them in using something like auto body filler (e.g., Bondo).

Then I would consider coating the inside walls/ceiling with bed liner material like that is used in truck beds. I suggest that you could do the many hours of masking any areas that are not to be coated, and save money and insure the job is done the way you want it to be done. However, I am not sure if the commercial bed-liner companies do lighter colors that would be appropriate for your interior. All I have seen offered is black, but you can check with them.

Alternatively, you could apply the bed liner yourself (probably brushing it on). I checked and there are brands of DIY bed liner material that come in all kinds of colors.

My thinking is that if bed liner is suitable for a truck bed, and stands up to the kinds of abuse that it gets in a truck bed, it would be a very good material for your interior. Bed liner is also said to be inuslating with regard to temperature and sound.

Hope this helps,

GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #3

Name: Laurie
Trailer: dreamin and a planning
Ontario
Thanks for the reply Randy...your thought process is matching mine. I would say the over 80% of the paint is securely attached. I was thinking of just lightly scraping off what is almost ready to flake off and using something (contact cement? paint?) to go over everything to secure the textured paint and then just proceeding with the reflextix and vinyl. The thing that concerns me is because the stone paint is so textured I might have a difficult time getting the reflextix to stick well. I guess I will try a small test patch and see what happens. Thanks again....Laurie
dolltrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:59 PM   #4

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
The solution is easy, sand the surface to remove the loose stuff and get it smoothed out.

Right now you are so nervous and unsure that you are overthinking and searching for way more complex solutions.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, vin