Removing floor carpet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #1

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Removing floor carpet

Hi,

New owners of 77'ish Trillium 13'

I think the indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor is original - looks the same as the brochure of '79. Has anyone ripped out the carpet and replaced with cushion floor? When I peel back the carpet there is black backing that stays on the floor and some comes up with the carpet - looks like some work? Any experience out there to advise?

Thanks,
Janice

ooops sorry - just saw a related thread below with tons of advice!!!!
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's no simple or easy answer (that I know of) for removing glued on foam. Some have used a multi-tool. One of those blades that move back and forth.... like this: Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool others have used a windshield ice scrapper. It still takes work. Call it sweat equity!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Maybe a 2 or 3 inch wide paint scraper, the one with a hooked type blade on a handle that you pull to scrape off paint. I took up some old floor tile in my 1950's house that had some black adhesive holding it down. Lowes or Home Depot had some liquid remover for that stuff, but it was nasty messy and I finally just went with the paint scraper. Best to use a respirator or dust mask because who knows what's in that adhesive. May be something that's now proven to be bad for us.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:49 PM   #4

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Thanks!

Thanks, Donna, Mary & Bob

After posting my request I found a thread and they say much what you do - I don't mind work so will get at it when I can finally open her door!
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium, vin